July 29th, 2008

McCain's biopsy negative

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/29/art.mccainbiop.ap.jpg caption="McCain's biopsy was negative."](CNN) - A biopsy on a patch of skin removed from John McCain's temple Monday shows no evidence the Arizona senator has skin cancer, the Mayo clinic announced.

"Senator McCain visited the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, yesterday for a routine check of his dermatological health,”

Michael Yardley, Chair of Public Affairs at the Mayo Clinic, said in a statement issued Tuesday. “The biopsy that was performed did not show any evidence of skin cancer. No further treatment is necessary.”

McCain, who has had four malignant melanomas removed in the past, had a "mole-like" growth lifted from his face during a routine checkup. He told reporters later in the day it was removed only as a precautionary measure.

McCain also told CNN's Larry King Monday night he gets a routine skin checkup every three months, and his doctor often removes small patches of skin to ensure he remains cancer free.

"We do it quite frequently for those of us that were young and had great exposure to the sun," he said. "As you know my dad was in the Navy and we lived in places where I was at the beach a lot, and I'm paying the price for that."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Paris

God bless you John McCain.

July 29, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  2. Golden Girl

Sure, I believe that one.The Repug cover machine is at work.

You'll need a bigger bandaid for that one.

Obama 08

July 29, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  3. Ben

His facial deformities aren't cancerous...just his policy positions.

July 29, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  4. Jim

I'm not so worried about McCain's physical health (he seems very fit and healthy); as much as his mental acuity, memory and emotional stability.

His recent negative attacks on Obama have revealed an obsessive/compulsive personality that makes me question his ability to lead our nation. I would not be comfortable with McCain receiving that so-called "3:00 AM phone call."

July 29, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  5. Olivia

Great news! As a cancer survivor, I know the wonderful sense of relief he must be feeling.

I'm still a Hillary girl.

July 29, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  6. joel palmer

Jusst what we need a craky, cranky old guy who is 100 per cent disabled, suffers from multiple cancers, can't raise his arms over his head and can't tell the difference between Sunnis and Shiites.

Not since Bob Dole have the Republicans run such a lame candidate. It only remains to be seen what kind of self inflicted injury he will cause when he selects a running mate. If he picks Romney, he is toast. In fact unless he resurrects the messiah, he can't win more than about 40% of the vote and these will be the same idiots that elected Bush twice and still think he is doing a terrific job. If this is the best that Republicans can do, Lincoln is doing about 5000 RPM in his grave.

July 29, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  7. Tony

Good to see that the Senator and hopeful future president has a clean bill of health, cancer-free.

July 29, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  8. OIF VET

From a strong Obama supporter, I was glad to hear that Senator McCain was cleared of skin cancer. Before any of my fellow Obamanots make any kind of comment, lets all agree that we may disagree on the issues and I for one look foward to a headted debate with both canidates in good health.

July 29, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  9. Denise Groves

too bad

July 29, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  10. Ms. White

no cmment

July 29, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  11. Jerry---Illinois

I have a Dermatologist who says never go out in the sun without sun screen and always wear a wide brim hat. Get that John?

July 29, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  12. BOOTSTOMPER

Yea just wait awhile.

July 29, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  13. Sam, Menlo Park

It did test positive for Alzheimer's, though...

July 29, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  14. TheTruthHurts

Good. I don't want the man to die, just retire.

July 29, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  15. kay

Sen. Mccain, I don't like your baseless attacks on Obama, and the negativity of your campaign but I do thank God that you have a clean bill of health. May you have a long and happy life!!!

July 29, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  16. Pepou

What about the biopsy inside his head ?

July 29, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  17. nate

Glad to hear it – I hate when teams that lose use injury as an excuse .

July 29, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  18. Leah DiMarco, Texas

John McCain is lucky to be rich so that he gets his test results back within 24 hours !!!

July 29, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  19. Jason, Los Angeles

I am certainly happy to hear that McCain is in the clear this time, but am I the only one out here willing to admit that this dude's age and health worry me? My goodness, what if he wins the election? A septuagenarian with spotty health is a huge threat to our national security, our economy, and our world status. The last thing we need is an unexpected interregnum, particularly since we all know McCain is going to drag us into war with Iran. God help us if we put this Republican in office. Things will only get worse.

Don't vote for old people. We can't know their ability to lead in even 2 years, and they don't represent most Americans.

July 29, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  20. Lacey

Did anyone expect the GOP to report anything else? If the mole was malignant, the doctors would lie for McCain. John McCain just had surgery in February of this year. That was only 7 months ago. The doctors realize that with McCain's age and history, he is not well.

July 29, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  21. Proud American

I'm happy for you Senator McCain... now please go and retire.

July 29, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. Michael Ray Thompson

Wow, what do you know? Too much sun exposure causes skin cancer. You would think that Americans would get the message.

July 29, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  23. Fordy

Good. Just like his attacks on Obama.

July 29, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  24. Dem for McCain

Great to hear. We love you John!

McCain '08

July 29, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  25. RJ, CA

That's good news. Go get 'em, Tiger!

July 29, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |