July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. vw

Why is Clinton going to give a speech at the convention of this hijacked and undemocratic party?

Incredible...

July 30, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Chris in Va.

Who cares?

July 30, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  3. Jimbo

Hillary has got to be the choice for VP. Period.

July 30, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. Ian MacIsaac

Fair enough.

July 30, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. women for obama

Although I am a Obama supporter, there is still something about female unity and the unspoken power of women that awakens my female pride.

July 30, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  6. Captain Obvious

This, of course, means that Sen. Clinton will not be the Vice Presidential Nominee who would speak on Wednesday night.

July 30, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. susie

I wish Hillary was running for President, at least she doesn't go back on her word like Obama. My family will now vote for McCain, someone other than Hillary who cares about this Country and not wants to be a citizen of the world.

July 30, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  8. Larry/TX

I think it's great . I'll call it Super Tuesday II....Hilary and all the women senators together on stage, commemorating this anniversary. The democratic party should really be proud. I think somewhere along the line, people lost sight of the significance of this campaign. The democrats show-cased two minorities for the highest office in the land, and clearly either one could have defeated the republicans. I can't believe for the life of me that anyone could become so bitter about this fiercly waged contest that they could lose sight of the historical aspects of things, and the democrats themselves have failed woefully to turn this into a positive, to ensure that we take the white-house. This was a slam dunk opportunity to show America why the democrats with this manifested proof of inclusion should be their party of choice.

July 30, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  9. Observer

That's great! I'm glad to see she will be a part of the convention, especially on the eve of the 88th anniversary of women's right to vote. With that said, please tell me Bill will not get a slot. I've heard enough from him lately....

July 30, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  10. Kentucky

Mighty big of Obama to give Hillary a night to speak since she has 18 million supporters. The arrogance of Obama is too much for me.
    Obama had better learn to campaign like Clinton or he might return to community organizing.

July 30, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. john williams san diego, ca.

PLEASE–PLEASE–PLEASE...NO TEARS...AND PLEASE–PLEASE no KISSES....

July 30, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  12. rachel

Here come the haters. I am very disappointed you are not the nomniee, but I know you will give a heck of a speech.

July 30, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  13. Dan from Minnesota

Good for Hillary, and a good aniversary for her to do it on as well. Go Team Obama!

July 30, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  14. Kevin

He better make her VP or his 3 point lead over McCain will evaporate and the convention will be full of tension and bad publicity. Can he really risk a load of cheesed off Hillary supporters shouting at him in that big stadium in front of all those cameras.

July 30, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  15. junie, ca

UGH...more grandstanding by Clinton!

July 30, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  16. NoMcSame

Maybe she will give a GOOD speech. Oh, sorry that Obama's job after all he should be our next president.
    Obama08 The Dream

July 30, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  17. Dem in FL

We don't want her for ONLY one night you idiot....if you want our votes, she'll be on the ticket. Lets see if you can get over your ego in time to pull your party together. Hmmm....probably not.

July 30, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  18. Tim from Ohio

Well done, DNC. Finally got something right for once. If she is not the VP pick, I will either write in her name on election day or will vote for McCain. I will NOT vote for Obama. Never, never, never!!!

July 30, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  19. texas DEM

VICE PRESIDENT CLINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 30, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  20. wanbligi citizen of the world

I suppose, give her some time to bask in glory. Our presumtive Dem nominee, Barack Obama will rally the cause in the end and win the Presidency.

Obama 08

July 30, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  21. Orlando

Let me make this clear no HRC on ticket – NO VOTE OBAMA.

July 30, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  22. Mary

Go Hillary !
    We still and always will believe in you !!!

July 30, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  23. Mslola

Totally awesome. We will have unity!
    Obama 2008............and I can't wait.

July 30, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  24. Benjamin Columbus, OH

The PUMA's will still be upset (Get over it)!

I'm just glad that she's speaking on Tuesday and not on Wednesday.

The Wednesday night spot should be reserved for Sen. Bayh or Sen. Biden.

July 30, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  25. jenn for Hillary

I am so excited to be in Denver as a delegate for Hillary and to hear her speak. She deserves this along with her 18 million supporters!! Go Hillary we love you!!

July 30, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |