July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. Debbie

Great. Now if we can just get a roll call vote with her name in the mix, I might be happy (ier).

July 31, 2008 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  2. yns

That should be the night to announce the ROLL CALL VOTE!!!!

You go Hillary!!!!

July 31, 2008 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  3. ZenNonna

Do not trust her to do anything except pat herself on the back. It will be a speech filled with I did, I went, I said, and I accomplished. I am so sick of her

Signed a Tampa Feminist and senior citizen

July 31, 2008 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  4. rw md

I love Hillery but I think the way Barrack is so into himself and
    chnging his mind on thins she believes in she should tell him to
    get stuffed.
    Her and Bill have money, they don't need the Democratic Party to
    live.
    Both party's are so beyond help it's pitifull.

July 31, 2008 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  5. janet, ohio

All female U.S. Senators? Why not all females who hold any kind of political office (governor, mayor, city council, etc)? Since we're celebrating the right of women to vote, why not all females of voting age? We can get very silly, can't we?

When one group of people wins any particular freedom, (blacks, women, etc) it is a victory for all mankind, not just that group.

I'll be happy when a group of people called the unborn have regained in this country the right to be born. That will truly be a victory for our nation and all mankind.

July 31, 2008 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  6. Sophie

Why isn't the DNC following the rules/tradition and allowing Hillary's name to be placed in nomination? What are they afraid of? That having seen the recent Obama, the superdelegates will change their minds? (I guess the superdelegates giveth and the superdelegates can taketh away.)

The DNC and the Obama campaign have been gaming the system from the start. Stop the nonsense.

July 31, 2008 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  7. Joe - Wilmington, DE

Can't the democratic party "leadership" find a high-ranking female member who is not so ethically challenged to make this speech?

Why still so enamored with the Clintons? Haven't they done enough damage?

July 31, 2008 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  8. An Independent

I take this as confirmation that she will NOT be the VP candidate (as I've suspected all along). If she was going to speak Wednesday night as the VP nominee, she wouldn't be speaking Tuesday night.

To me, this is good news. I think Senator Clinton can do more to help the country in other roles (influential senator or maybe Secretary of HHS and leader of the health care system transformation) than as VP. I just can't see her as VP.

July 31, 2008 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  9. mike

If Hillary is not on the ticket, I will never vote for Obama.

July 31, 2008 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  10. RJ

Something has always bothered me and i'm hoping a disgruntled Hillary fan will give a good answer. For what exact reason were you voting for Hillary in the primaries? For those of you who are going to McCain, it's painfully obvious it was not based on the issues. She is opposed to McCain and much more in line with Obama on the issues. So, if not for the issues, then why were you voting for her and why are you so stubborn now and willing to risk so many things to make some obviously misguided point? For the women, can you honestly say that you were voting for Hillary because you believe you have the right to choose abortion but will now go to McCain and say, nope, i am willing to waive that right for myself and all women because i need to make a point?? Are you really willing to go through 8 more years of malaise to make a point? I'm hoping someone can explain that to me. Is the misguided point worth that much?

July 31, 2008 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  11. Deb, Allentown, PA

She positively deserves a slot. Good for her. Now, I can only hope that what she says and does during her appearance will work to mollify some of her most strident supporters.

You know, honestly, you PUMA people are probably one of the reasons that she's not in the front-running for VP. BO has enough to reason to worry about his safety from some right-wing nutjob. The way you all are acting, he'd have to worry if a PUMA might take him down so Hillary could claim her "rightful plalce".

July 31, 2008 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  12. Excellent

She's the best and should be President of the United States! Due to biasness, jealousy and envy she won't be this time around but we're ready for 2012.

July 31, 2008 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  13. New Voter for McCain

She will speak, then they will take a vote and she will come out victorious.
    What a breath of fresh air Hillary is. We are so sick of that wind bag we have had to listen to since June. I think the worm is turning.
    You go Hillary, we have your back.

July 31, 2008 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  14. luur

Good to see you both.

Obama '08

July 31, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  15. Joe M for HIllary

This is a good move. Not only for the general election, but to recognize Hillary Clinton's contribution to America and the world. No, I didn't support her in the primaries for a variety of reasons including Bill, her staff and behavior. Still, fair is fair!.

Since suspending her campaign, she has gone out of her way to unite the party and get this country moving again. I'll be watching and cheering on August 26. You go girl!

July 31, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  16. Belle

The terrible comments about Hillary's Campaign Debt is ONLY making some of us Clinton supporters angrier.

First of all, Senator Clinton has raised vast amounts of money for OTHER Democratic Candidates, which INCLUDES Senator Obama. Senator Clinton did not hold HOSTAGE anyone. She asked for help with NO expectations of being paid back the 12.2 Million SHE loaned her campaign.

For the idiots that say they have 109 Million...look at her TAX records.
    33% went to TAXES; OVER 10% went to charity.

The DNC (Obama is at the head by the way) kept moving up the date the debt HAD to be paid off for her to participate in the Convention. PUMA raised between 6 and 10 million to help in ONE week.

Senator Obama would have received help from Senator Clinton had the roles been reversed...why? She helped her opposition in the NY Senate race pay off HIS debt, so please give me a break about the debt!

July 31, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  17. Lorna, NY

So what, why is this even news?

July 31, 2008 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  18. Martha

McCain is more interested in bashing Obama than anything else. Plus I think the American people need to consider the person who McCain is going to choose for his running mate, because that person could very well be the President. So as far as I'm concerned if people want to vote for McCain they need to be ready to choose two presidents and not one. You know just in case.

July 31, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  19. Dylan fan

"... with all female U.S. senators on stage with her."

Poor Ramrod ... she wasn't crowned "Miss America" and I'm sure she won't be voted Miss Congeniality. Please go away Hillary. Tuesday night I'll wash my hair.

July 31, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  20. Ant928

I thought it was the Democratic Convention and a celebration of history? "Hillary Nite" sounds like a holiday for a hasbeen.

July 31, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  21. Susan

Does CNN censor heavily? I have not had a comment posted in ages. I was a Hillary supporter. Does CNN just blacklist Hillary supporters?

Today I'm here to say that I'm proud of her but that she deserves a hell of a lot more than a Tuesday night speech. She should be the nominee. I'm terrified of Obama's weaknesses. Fingers crossed that he doesn't fall on his face before Nov.

July 31, 2008 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  22. Richard

Hillary for VP!!!!!!!

No Hillary! NO Barack HUSSEIN Obama!

My vote will go for McCain!!!!!!!!!!!

July 31, 2008 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  23. Luis

I think Ludacris should speak as well....and Rev Wright, and William Ayers, and Jesse Jackson, and typical white people and bitter, angry Americans clinging to their religion, guns with antipathy for those that are not like them (race card), and on and on and on.....

Vote McCain or join the insane................

July 31, 2008 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  24. bob

"Tuesday night is Hillary night. now thats whats am talking about gogirl

July 31, 2008 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  25. vote for Hillary

I will still write her name in on the ballot if she isn't up for VP

That is what all Hillary Supporters should do