July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

1. Ochuko Atavwigho

Okay here we go again!!!! is she going to come out and say she will make a better President than Obama or she is going to pretend that she is still the democratic front runner? lets see ö¿ö

July 31, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  2. Maggie

Clinton should have been the one who will be representing the democrats but I think they really want to lose the elections so they selected Obama. I am glad also if she is not the VP because I want her to run in 2012 and hopefully the DNC won't try selecting their nominee again after losing this election in November. The democrats had such a strong candidate in Clinton but instead they chose to select Obama and I know they will be very sorry when they lose.

Go Hillary go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be your turn in 2012 after Obama and the DNC blows it in November.

July 31, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  3. BOB

I'LL BE OUT OF TOWN! SORRY!!

July 31, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  4. Joyce in Florida

I wish she would be speaking as the presidential nominee instead. I still have not taken her bumper stickers off my car. I am still wishing and hoping. GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 31, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  5. @3401

I know she'll have something positive and encouraging to say!!

July 31, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  6. Old Stradlater

So can that end all Hillary for VP talk?

July 31, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  7. bob

with her on the stage with pelosi it looks like i won't need a book to help me fall asleep. none of these washington deadbeats, on either side of the isle, are worth a second of our time. we elected our dems in 07 on their promises of change, and they haven't done one thing since taking office..! unless, of course, you like our latest 500 billion $$$ deficit that our children are going to inherit... oddly enough, they keep funding the iraqi war, time and time again, after saying that they wouldn't.... if we were able to bottle all the hot air coming out of their mouths at the convention we could end our latest energy crisis, brought on, of course, by our 80% dependency on foreign energy, which, of course, is a result of our dems stopping any domestic oil drilling... is it no wonder that congressional approval is at an all-time low..? so tuesday night will be same o, same o...

July 31, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  8. johndog

surely the reporter means "all Democratic" women senators...i doubt we'll be seeing Snowe, Hutchison, Dole and Collins on stage.

July 31, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  9. Debbie Maha

Hillary chose the right day to speak. I just wish her a better luck next time. it's still a man's world, no matter what skin color he is or what experience he has. The only thing that comes to play is he knows how to inspire people with the word "CHANGE".what I see is really a "CHANGE" from what he said to what ever he has to do to get elected.I chose either to vote for McCain or to stay home and enjoy my Wii. Too bad he doesn't inspire me a bit.

July 31, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  10. Annoy the Media, say NO to Obama

Go Hillary!!!

July 31, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  11. JD

For all of our progress, we certainly haven't progressed very far.

"That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote."

The 19th Amendment didn't "give women the right to vote" – it acknowledged that women are citizens with rights equal to men, including participation in the political process. "Giving" implies that they didn't earn it, and I don't think anyone is fool enough to take that position.

July 31, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  12. Anonymous

All female U.S. senators? So Kay Bailey Hutchison is going to be at the Democratic convention?

July 31, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  13. beezo

That is very nice. Maybe that will help her get over her loss and start working toward Obama's win in Nov.

July 31, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  14. mary

What a great tribute. Adn thank god it looks like that has ruled her out as VP candidate , who usually speaks on Wednesday.

July 31, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  15. the 28th Amendment to the Constitution

Proporsal for the 28th Amendment to the Constitution-
    Prohibits the DNC or political parties,federal government and the states from forbidding of striping any citizen form their vote. From now on every vote counts.

July 31, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  16. ben

Look out Obama!!!!! she might still be fighting and not for you

July 31, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  17. the 28th Amendment to the Constitution

Proporsal for the 28th Amendment to the Constitution-
    Prohibits the DNC or political parties,federal government and the states from forbidding of striping any citizen from their vote. From now on every vote counts.

July 31, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  18. Sean from Orlando

She can speak all she wants, she is not going to convince any of us Dems who supported her to vote for Obama. Unless she is on that ticket me and many Dems here in FL, MI and in other states are all going to vote for McCain and Obama will lose. With his last minute for "War for Dummies" Iraq trip, his various flip-flops, and his support of Bush wire-tapping, Obama has really made me see that it is going to be very easy to vote Republican for the first time ever.

July 31, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  19. CD

I don't know about this but Obama better be careful. And NO PUMA will be allowed into denver stadium during Obama's acceptance speech. There will be no demonstration because the atmosphere will be so breath taking.

July 31, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  20. jeff

She won't be VP candidate. All these commenters posting idle threats to defect to McSame if Clinton doesn't get the VP slot need to embrace their new roles as backward-thinking turncoats.

God bless the bloated, ignorant U.S.A.!

July 31, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  21. Nana in Stl

Great! Hillary I voted for Obama in the primary in Stl but I still like you too. I hope there is an Obama/Clinton ticket suprise in 08

July 31, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  22. Barbara

You go Girl.
    I still want you for the candidate.

July 31, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  23. dwmulenex

seems right to give Hillary and her women colleagues their due. The celebration of the 19th amendment–which some women opposed because their husbands told them not to worry about men's business–is all the more important because women will decide the next election, and because women are't yet quite equal in business, politics,the military (where's our first woman David Petraeus?), or before the law. Hillary can hit this stride on, laying out the accomplishments and the challenges ahead. Decent of Obama and the DNC to let her really shine. .

July 31, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  24. Lynn in NM

Guess I'll watch cable that night.

July 31, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  25. vjh

women for obama July 30th, 2008 10:23 pm ET

Although I am a Obama supporter, there is still something about female unity and the unspoken power of women that awakens my female pride.

I second that !
    I love the fact that the Convention takes place for both the anniversary of women's right to vote and MLK's "I have a Dream" speech !

July 31, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |