July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. DemForLife

For all those haters that call Obama arrogant, could you give me examples of his arrogance? I want to be sure we're living in the same world, bcos Im not sure where you're getting that from. I guess when you hate on someone, you get so blinded you cant see anything good about the person.

During the primary contest, Hillary did all she could to deride Obama, belittle him, attack him even more than the repugs are attacking him now. Obama's response was all gracefulness, calling attention back to the issues instead of paying her back in her own coin.

If you dont want to vote Obama..... pls go vote whoever.... its entirely your prerogative, but dont come to these blogs and pour out your venom, its all so old and tired!!

July 31, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  2. prairieguy

PUMA out in force this morning...she lost...get over it!!!!

July 31, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  3. Andrew in VA

Once again, it's all about Hillary and HER message. Not one suggestion that her message should be TO ENDORSE the party's nominee and that she will surrender her delegates.

Time to give it up and get this narcissistic, humorless crone off the stage for good.

July 31, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  4. Sharon

The only way I will vote for Obama is if Hillary is on the ticket.

July 31, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  5. Darryl Miller

Let us all keep the Clinton family in our prayers. as well as our friends and family members in California in our prayers as well...

July 31, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  6. greg

Women "earned" the right to vote?? Unbelievable.

July 31, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  7. Ryuken

This is the night I think her superdelegates should nominate her as VP whether Obama likes it or not! I'm not voting for him unless she is on the ticket, I'll vote for McCain. I can't wait to see her that night!

July 31, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  8. mwm

i can skip tuesday,then.

July 31, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  9. mwm

you must really like my comments.you've been moderating them all nite.

July 31, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  10. VCARTER

No Hillary, No Obama Vote. Very simply, he is a joke. Not to be trusted. My family will be voting for a republican for the first time in our lives.

July 31, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  11. Ms. RDS

I mean really their is no satisfying these PUMA people. How is he arrogant for dedicating a WHOLE night to her? Some of you need to seek mental help b/c your detachment from reality is outstanding. First you bash him and his supporters then when we respond you say "look how nasty they are, this is why I can't vote for him" please! It says more about you than the candidate when you are more vested in a quest than they are. She's not the nominee, she's not going to be the nominee, and the way some(not all) of her supporters acts she'll never be the nominee in 2012. Maybe she doesn't want to be the VP, ever thought about that. Maybe she wants a cabinet seat instead. So please stop with the threats "Hillary or else" where here to tell you the answer "ELSE". This train is leaving with or w/o you ....toodles

July 31, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  12. Grand Nagus

HILLARY FOR VP or I am not voting.

I WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA IF HILLARY IS NOT ON THE TICKET!!!

July 31, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  13. Phil in KC

Richardson makes nice and helps her retire her debt. Then she's given her own night at the convention. And still the PUMAs and die-hard HRC supporters whine, gripe and moan. Well I, for one, am sick and tired of hearing it. If you don't want to vote for Obama, if you'd rather cut your nose off to spite your face, if you want to vote against the things that Hillary stands for, fine. That's your right. But if you're going to do that, then do it and shut up about it already.

July 31, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  14. Michael, an independent Canadian

Its so sad to read these blogs. Obama is trying to acknowledge Clinton with respect and all you do is slam him.....not for any legitimate, substantive reason, but strictly on an emotional basis (how many of the bloggers actually give reasons why they should slam Obama?)

And then there are the Republicans........Obama is certainly not arrogant. Republicans should look in the mirror and realize that the only arrogance is theirs.

It is commendable that Obama is giving Clinton the podium.......

July 31, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  15. John W., Milwaukee, WI

Go Hillary!

I hope you also tell that phoney Obama where we want him to go!

July 31, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. android

I wish that Hillary was giving an acceptance speech but the reality is slowly sinking in – we are stuck with Obama.

July 31, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  17. 2x Afghanistan Veteran

You just knew all the Hillary fans would be out in full force, claiming as they have, Hillary is the best candidate...'no Hillary no vote' stop the rhetoric. She lost move on. And if moving on means wanting 4 more years of 8 years of Bush legacy, debt, death, taxes and lies. Go ahead and vote for McCain...in the end you only have your self to blame.

Lets look at some facts, WITHOUT Hillary, Sen Obama has a 5-6 point bump on McCain. Thats without getting into the debates that always happen happen after the Labour Day Weekend. So give it a rest.

As for all the other poser's...I'd say get a life or a job...BUT wait..GWB has shipped those all off shore...yup..makes me all warm and fuzzy about McCain..

Obama 08/12

July 31, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  18. Iowavoter

I am glad for Hillary okay, now about Obama Please think about the word honesty, a lot of you people against BO forget that maybe just maybe some people in this world are honest and sincere about bringing people together – wake up and smell the roses.........

July 31, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  19. StopWhining

Looks like some Hillary supporters are still delusional and will vote against their own self interest because they're too bitter to realize Obama won the nomination fair and square and would best represent their views in the White House. Please, don't claim to be a Democrat and then whine and throw your support to McSame.

July 31, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  20. JOANN...L I NEW YORK

TO HRC SUPPORTERS.....

HILLARY IS NOT THE NOMINEE, NOT GOING TO BE VICE PRESIDENT AND THAT'S REALITY... IT SEEMS OMAMA IS DOING QUITE WELL AND THOSE OF YOU WHO WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA OR WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN...THAT'S YOUR RIGHT...

IT WAS NOT IN THE CARDS FOR HILLARY....SHE PLAYED HERSELF AND RAN A TERRIBLE CAMPAIGN....AND THERE WERE 18 MILLION WHO VOTED FOR OBAMA TOO.....LET'S NOT FORGET THAT!!! OBAMA HAD 18 MILLION VOTES ALSO......SO THAT SPEAKS VOLUME ALSO.....

ALL THE BEST OT OBAMA...MAY GOD BLESS AND PROTECT HIM FROM ALL THE HATERS......

July 31, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  21. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Oh, I am so excited. Anothere Hillaary speach.
    Yack, yack, yadda, yadda, same old, same old.
    (Yawn)

July 31, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  22. Jesse - San Antonio TX

Obama will still not get my vote. EVER.

I just don't like the arrogant SOB.

July 31, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  23. Tammy From Cleveland Ohio

KMILLER

You are a real jerk. Obama is not going to win, but Hillary would have.

July 31, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  24. Tom

I guess plastic face Pelosi and McCaskill will be on stage for a photo -op. My whole family will be watching that night. My wife is going to tape it for our granddaughters since their great grandmother was involved in the marches in the early 1900s. That will be probably the only time we will watch unless President Clinton speaks.

July 31, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  25. Kay

I am so tired of people saying that Obama is arogant. When Hillary won each and every time he congratulated her. When he won she went on stage and acted as though she had won and never congratulated him. I like Hillary, but she did not show her best side during the campaign period. Obama has been and is a gentleman.

showing confidence is not arrogant, would we want someone running for president who was unsure of him or herself. Common people let's grow up and take confidence for what it is. He is not arrogant and even Clinton said he is qualified. So, please let's stop with the disrespect of bot Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton. They are both good candidates.

July 31, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |