July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. California Voter

Don't know if Hillary wants the job, however, she certainly looks better with Obama than the other potential VP picks.

July 30, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  2. Maggie Muggins From Selwyn

Imagine women in the U.S. actually having the right to vote.

Pretty soon gays and lesbians will be treated like human beings. Oh I forgot before the latter happens the Right Wing Extemists have to be thrown out of power but then that also had to happen before women actually got the right to vote so there is a possibility.

July 30, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  3. kmiller

Please find this woman a NEW hobby !!

July 30, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  4. Texun

Good. She'll do a great job!

July 30, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. K of TX

Great!

Obama '08, '12

Hillary '16, '20

July 30, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  6. Paula in WI

I still think America is missing Obama's message.Remember at one of their debates,when Obama said "they were friends before this race and will be friends again after the race?"His message has been constant about bringing everyone together to do the best for America.While she was out of sight he had a chance to let us see who he is and that he is very intelligent and totally capable.Now that America got to see who he is it won't surprise me a bit to see him put her on the ticket.He's never said a thing bad about her,even when it would have helped him.He's given us all an example of what being a true American is all about.We should help each other,always support each other,friends and foe, to make our America the best it can be.War should always be a last resort.McCain doesn't have anything else to run on.Even if she's not the VP,I'm sure he'll put her in a position that will benefit us all.

July 30, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  7. Mike, Raleigh

She makes me proud every moment. She should be our next president of United Stated of America.

July 30, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  8. Jennifer

I cried when I read this. Hillary rocks. I can't wait to see all those women of power in one place. I've spent 20 years as a female engineer. The chauvinism I've encountered over these years has worn me down. Its nearly cathartic for me to see women like Hillary who have weathered far worse than me, but are still standing tall. She is made of steel, and is a darn nice lady to boot. She is my hero.

July 30, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  9. justsaynodeal.com

On the first night she will be put up for nomination and the superdelegates will have a chance to switch their vote from Obama. Rumor has it that 10 superdelegates said they would switch their vote if Hillary's name is put into nomination. Hillary will be the nominee!

July 30, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  10. Dream on

KNOW THIS ARROGANT BUBBLE BOY CANDIDATE NEEDS THE REAL HELP...

July 30, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  11. Ed

I'll be sure to keep the TV off on "Hillary Night".

July 30, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  12. Patrick

I took the whole week of. I cancelled it when she didn't get the nomination. I will be taking this day off. Thanks for the heads up.

July 30, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  13. Phil, FL

Good

Sources say that I've had age spots removed without having to wear a bandaid. Sources say we're being foooled into McWarmonger annointing Romney – sources say sources say sources say

Hey

What about the issues people? Who cares about Botox Barbie McSame and Paris Hilton????????? Who cares?????????

We need issues – not more GOSSIP

July 30, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  14. Roger from CA

May want to check that plan as to having "all female U.S. senators on stage with her". Don't think Kay Bailey Hutchison, Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Elizabeth Dole and Lisa Murkowski (am I forgetting anyone?) would be feeling the love that night in Denver.

July 30, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. bonnie

Wonderful! We would do well to make Senator Clinton our next president.

I have come to realize through this primary season and the CNN blogs that sexism (directed at Senator Clinton) and ageism (directed at Senator McCain) are more serious problems in the US than racism.

I identify with the values of the Democratic party but take offense at the grandpa/senility comments about McCain – don't forget that with age and life experiences comes widsom.

July 30, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  16. Lynn

That's great. My grandmother was very active and march for the women right to vote. To honor these women and the 18 million that voted for Hillary – her name needs to be put in nomination.

July 30, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  17. Steven

This means she won't be VP. Yay!! 🙂

July 30, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  18. Brain

We look forward to it!

July 30, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  19. NOBAMA

HILLLARY HAS CERTAINLY DESERVES THAT HONOR. HRC HAS BROUGHT WOMEN INTO THE 21ST CENTURY WITH GRACE. SHE ACCOMPLISHED WHAT EVERY BODY THOUGHT COULDN'T BE DONE. SHE IS THE TRUE WINNER OF THE NOMINATION WITH HER POPULAR VOTE OF OVER 18,000,000 SUPPORTERS AND THEY AREN'T ALL WOMAN. SHE WILL BE THE 1ST WOMAN PRESIDENT IF NOT IN 08 THEN IN 2012

July 30, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  20. TheWeaselMcCain

Sweeeeetttt

Obama should go ahead and announce his VP choice (Tim Kaine) during the 1st week of August so all the Hillary-For-VP supporters will know the job has been filled; and therefore, her application has been placed in file 13.

It'll give them enough time to medicate and sober up before the November election.

Once the position is filled, the relentless MEDIA can stop the Hillary for VP nonsense and focus on what Kaine will bring to the ticket.

Obama-Kaine 08!!!!!!!!!

July 30, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  21. Keith, Manchester NH

Really? All US female senators? Including Kay Bailey Hutchison, the Republican?

July 30, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  22. Denise

When he inevitably loses, she'll be the natural choice for 2012. Shame we have to wait four years, but such is life.

July 30, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  23. Jane

Oh yippie

July 30, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  24. hfiauiuehyiu

Oh yippie

July 30, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  25. Susan

Oh, yippeeeee!

This is good news, however. This is a big signal that there is no chance she will be selected as VP.

He has a nomination, she has a speech. Fitting, don't you think?

July 30, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |