July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. OK!

susie.. I wish Hillary was running for President, at least she doesn't go back on her word like Obama. My family will now vote for McCain
    ***She did not win the Nomination !!!....Who cares about your family voting for McCain -GWB 3rd term***
    **ijustsaynodeal.com- If Hillary's name is put into nomination. Hillary will be the nominee! -Stop dreaming !!!**
    **Jenifer.....She is made of steel, and is a darn nice lady to boot. She is my hero.**
    Mike, Raleigh – She makes me proud every moment. She should be our next president of United Stated of America.**ALL of You Hillary Lovers PLZ Help her with Her DEBT!!!***

July 31, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  2. Jamaican

This will give Hillary the right plaform to show the people still loves her. If she isn't on the ticket I'm voting for McCain, he will be ready on day one to act. All Obama can do is give a speech and cry like a baby. Our issues today are not petting us they are forcing us in debt. Who would you prefer a guy that really wants to make a difference or someone to make all the good speeches and cry racism, Washington politics. I prefer my strong, old McCain.

July 31, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  3. tee

in as much as I love obama, i still feel Hilary deserves it! she made alot of women stand up for what they believe in; enlightening women all over the world.

July 31, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  4. dobie

Let s make america proud. 1st black and first women. Hillary for vice pres. or i'am voting for mccain.

July 31, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  5. Tom

If my first comment get posted my wife corrected me. It was their great – great grandmother who march in early l990s. Sorry

July 31, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  6. DPerry

SHE LOST!!!!!! GET OVER IT!!!!

July 31, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  7. Liz

Obama, is making a big mistake if he don't pick Hillary for his Vice President. He can't win without her.

July 31, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  8. Lance

There's a comment from a young lady named "susie" who said " I wish Hillary was running for President, at least she doesn't go back on her word like Obama." I found that to be hillAry-ous! She can't run for President right now. She's still busy ducking sniper-fire. And in order for anyone to notice you going back on your word, your word has to have some value or credence in the first place.

And your new choice is McSame, huh?! He doesn't remember his words well enough to be sure if he's going back on them or not. off-shore drilling, Bush tax cuts, torture, ethanol, Roe v Wade, MLK holiday, SS privatization, ...it's like a list of Michael Jackson's greatest hits. I'm not even sure whose word McCain goes back on. They were his words ..now they're Bush's. Gimme a break!

Advice to susie: see a counselor about your bitterness. It will eat away at the quality of your life.

July 31, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  9. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It should be interesting as to who else could share the stage with Clinton. Given her ego and other things, what other woman would share the stage with her? I would think that what ever woman it would be, she would have understand that she would be seen as a lessor no matter what the greater title, position, or experience she could have.

July 31, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  10. Kevin, Austin

RE: "Well done, DNC. Finally got something right for once. If she is not the VP pick, I will either write in her name on election day or will vote for McCain. I will NOT vote for Obama. Never, never, never"

and so many other comments like it...

This is so sad and pathetic. I campaigned hard for two other candidates before my support went to Obama. Not once have I said "if my candidate doesn't win, you won't get my vote" (well, once I said that, but my wife slapped my upside the head and reminded me that I'm a TRUE DEMOCRAT and I believe in the ideals of the party platform and not just the figureheads at the top.)

Folks, if you believed in Hillary and you help John McCain win, then you are either part of a cult of personality for Hillary or a traitor to your own causes. And that is sad.

I look forward to Hillary's speech – she is inspirational and I want my five-year-old daughter to see her speak. If she's the right VP choice then that's great, if not then I look forward to her continued work in the Senate.

July 31, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  11. PUMA

PLEASE POST CNN!!!

Now I can support Barack Obama. He has done a great thing by giving her such a big platform at the convention! I will now wholeheartedly support Senator Obama, and I will donate and campaign for this humble man!

PUMA NO MORE!!!!!!

July 31, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  12. Cali Kid

I still do not understand how anyone who claims to support Hillary and her views can claim to vote McSame in the general election. Who does that help? Seriously? Can someone please explain that with a well thought argument other than being bitter. I do not agree with not voting but no vote is more understandable than voting for someone whose political views are polar opposite from those of the democratic party. How does a Hillary supporter vote McCain unless they were not voting on her politics, only her gender and/or race?

July 31, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  13. roscopagosack

Just when we were all enjoying not having to see and hear that screaching sore loser....

UGH. Why cant the Clintons stay gone!

July 31, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  14. Lance

and for the record, politics is like wrestling, it doesn't make sense to question the integrity ..just enjoy the show!

July 31, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  15. PUMA

WHY WON'T YOU POST MY COMMENT CNN?!?!?!?!

PUMA NO MORE!!!!!!

July 31, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  16. Val in CT

I swear, if you PUMA's vote for anyone but Obama, then you truly don't care about the future of this country. Obama and Clinton are nearly identical, and the complete opposite of McCain – THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!

July 31, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  17. Susan

She will give a marvelous speech and make all women proud as she has already done. Obama is the nominee to be, and she is able to put asie pettiness for the sake of ensuring the Republicans are throw out! Thank you, Senator clinton!

July 31, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  18. GB

and you Obama supporters actually think these comments against Hillary are going to rally us Hillary supporters to vote for him? They are a lot of us. We could just sit at home. Someone said grandstanding from Hillary, what do you think Obama consists of, grandstanding only.

July 31, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  19. JJ

I'll tune into her speech. I think it's only fitting that she would speak on the 88th anniversary when women earned the right to vote. I still respect her and I think (I know) she would give an excellent speech.

July 31, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  20. AdamW

Good for her. I hope she doesn't become a sore loser.

July 31, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  21. william

Don't you Hillary supporters get it, the highest elected leader in our party says this is what the world has been waiting on. She threw Hillary to the curb in favor of Obama. After all she has done for the party over the years, to be treated like this is just not right. Obama wants to be the leader of the world not this country, Hillary would have put america first and the world second. Guess I will stay home or vote for John.

July 31, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  22. proud Democrat

I don't mean to "whine" but Mccain is no help.... just a new moron to replace the other idiot. If you plan on voting Mccain because you are hurting over Hillary, may I make a point. You could be flushing basic freedoms down the tubes. May you feel the effects of the choices you make.
    Do you really believe the bad economy is all in our heads?

July 31, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  23. McTeleprompter

Thank you Obama for being so understanding and swallowing your pride!!!!

Hilllary shafted you and the DNC by dragging out he process but we all know who one FAIR and SQUARE!

July 31, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  24. vic nashville,Tn

I am very happy I won’t miss your speech but I don’t like that your giving a speech at democratic party convention
    Please run as a Independent Candidate
    Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

July 31, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  25. James From Chicage

KMILLER

Again I will say you are an idiot.

Get a grip Obama is not going to win.

July 31, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |