July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. Vig

Clinton should be the next President – she has earned her place in history. Obama thinks because he acts presumptuous prancing around Europe, using Germans as props he deserves the White House. He doesn't. It's a write-in for Hillary.

July 30, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. Steven(Ontario, California)

This is a great idea! At a convention full of symbolism, this is just one more great way to celebrate an anniversary.

July 30, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  3. Zed

*sings* Hill-a-ry for you and me. Bring back our democ-racy!

now its stuck in your head too!

July 30, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  4. votingtruth

no comment

July 30, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  5. troy

Make it a great speech Hillary because after the convention and election should Obama win.......the Democratic Party will make you a memory! The Clintons brought the Democratic Party back from the grave and this is the thanks and respect they get!

July 30, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  6. obamaforyourmama

Way to go, Hilary. She would kick some serious butt as the running mate for Obama.

July 30, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  7. BOOTSTOMPER

Let us come together and beat theses republican hacks. There attacks on Obama are pathetic. Paris hilton,Spears, if this is what a maverick politician runs on geez what a crew. At least we dont have Liberman on our side, thank God. Thank you Hillary.

July 30, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  8. PUMA

Now I can support Barack Obama. He has done a great thing by giving her such a big platform at the convention! I will now wholeheartedly support Senator Obama, and I will donate and campaign for this humble man!

PUMA NO MORE!!!!!!

July 30, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  9. Hillary Who?

Excuse me...did I miss something...why is Hillary having HER night? I thought Obama was the apparent nominee of the Democratic party but her supporters are saying Hill Dog Has HER NIght????? Really...I kind of thought it was Obama's Partytime.

Wonder how much she is being PAID to speak...understand she needs all the cash she can get her hands on these days.

July 30, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  10. go away mongers- Ventura ca

Hopefully her speech will help promote continued healing in the party and the pumA's will get their brains back. She has accomplishe MUCH and deserves her time at the convention-I just pray that the time is used wisely . DEMOCRATS 08!

July 30, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  11. fmr. Hillary Supporter now for McCain

Unless he picks her for VP, he's lost my vote.

July 30, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Yeah!

July 30, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  13. Dan, Idaho Falls, Idaho

Write in Hillary for Prez !

July 30, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  14. American Joe

Just when I was thinking... Gee sure has been GREAT "not" seeing
    anything about the Clintons. Then this comes along..... rats !

July 30, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  15. Mary Frye

I hope Barack Obama is smart enough to ask Hillary to be his running mate. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton is the ideal ticket for winning the presidency.

July 30, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  16. William, from Cali!

How much, may I ask ;is she charging? "Slick Willie," charges over $100,000 on average, and sometimes more for his speeches!

July 30, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  17. Edia

All the women i know and they are various age groups are still with HILLARY!!! EB

July 30, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  18. NORA, FLORIDA

Republicans are you READYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY for the BEAT DOWN???????????????????????

July 30, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  19. ray

Congratulations Hillary! Now if Obama would wake up we'd have a winning ticket in November. If he doesn't wake up, it's Nobama for me. I'll have a wonderful night at the convention though, as a delegate for Hillary for the state of California. Now it is time Obama and the DNC allowed the historic moment of Hillary's campaign to be entered into the history books with her being nominated as a candidate for president of the US at the convention. Call your representatives and have them get on Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid's cases. Get on Obama's case ,too They are preventing Hillary's name from being entered into nomination-the symbolism of the event is so historic. My grandfather didn't fight in WWII and my uncle's didn't fight in wars to protect this nation to prevent a woman from being entered into the history books for such an historic achievement. I thought Obama and the Democratic party were going to be about change. Well, let's see that change. Start now.

July 30, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  20. Jack beLittle

It isn't too late. If the Democrats want a winner, they should nominate Hillary. Or they can just go ahead and hand the election to the Republicans. So, what will it be?

July 30, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  21. mathew

This election for democrats is a breakthrough...had a black, woman nominee. what if the democrats loose this time? guess what.. next election..its goona be..a woman, a man, a black, an hispanic, an asian, an native american, a gay, a lesbian..dont know what else...i bet the republicans have no chance for the next election!!!...

Its funny, that the democrats will do anything to win!

p.s.. an not a republican nor an independent, not even an american.

but the world is watching!

July 30, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  22. Miguel Rivera

I think that's great. Hillary Clinton is a great speaker and a great woman.

By the way, on Foxnews, Karl Rove got in a verbal altercation in Hannity & Colmes and talked down Kirsten one of the cohosts tonight. As someone who's been accusing Obama of being "arrogant", Rove's showed his true "arrogant" colors.

July 30, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  23. Rachel

Let's hope a Tuesday appearance doesn't mean she will not be the VP candidate on the Obama ticket–her political experience and overall intelligence and leadership talent should not be overlooked. The election of the President and Vice President of the United States is NOT a popularity contest, rather it is about leading this country out of the shameful state in which it is currently. Mr. Obama should worry less about whether he likes Hillary Clinton and more about what will make him and the Democratic party most effective in its years in office. The other VP candidates being mentioned are laughable.

July 30, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  24. Alvaro Renatti

I will be watching Tuesday's Democratic Convention because I love Senator Clitnon. Other than that, I do not have any intentions to watch any of the remaining Democratic Convention. I am dissapointed of how Clinton was mistreated by Obama and his campaign, the Democratic party, and the media. On the other side, I will be watching the Republican National Convention, because I pretend to cast my vote for McCain. Thousands of Clinton's supporters, like myself, will do the samething on November 4.

Hillary Clinton 2012/2016

July 30, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  25. tess

yuck!!!! thanks for the warning – now i know which nite not to tune in and be repulsed by her arrogance – even in defeat!

July 30, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |