July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. Independent in OH

I like it!

July 30, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  2. Annie

Can't wait to hear from Hillary!!!

She has made history by receiving the most votes ever by a preidential candidate during the Democrat Primarys.

GO HILLARY!!!

July 30, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  3. J

The Democratic National Committee must open up this convention in Denver to be a real democratic process. This would entail placing BOTH Hillary and Obama's names in nomination, allowing speeches by and for both, place BOTH names on voting ballots, allow votes to be cast and COUNT ALL THE VOTES! Since neither Hillary or Obama earned enough delegates out right to win the nomination, the superdelegates will decide this nomination. Their job is to select the most electable, most qualified candidate for the general election in November. That candidate is and shall remain Hillary Clinton. In 1932, FDR went into the Democratic convention 90 delegates short of the needed number and won on the FOURTH, 4th ballot! That was democracy in action! Let's demand it!

July 30, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  4. Jeremy

Hopefully she will be speaking as the Vice Presidential Candidate, that is if Obama wants to win this election....

Swing States for Clinton!!!
    VP Clinton

July 30, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  5. Reality check #1

Hillary should be speaking as the Democratic nominee, period.

July 30, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  6. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I think Hillary Clinton deserved special speech at 88th Convention. DNC didn't deserve her but it is special for women and Hillary is the symbol of Women's right. I hope all of American women listen to her speech, get together and accomplish Hillary's goal "WOMEN'S RIGHT IS HUMAN RIGHT". We don't need Nancy Pelosi who put women down.

July 30, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  7. Joe

this is news?

July 30, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  8. Dave, Houston, TX

What about Bill?

After reading about his speaking fees, maybe the Democratic Party can't afford him!

July 30, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  9. Billy. LA

Who cares. She lost.

Obama is the man. Send her out to pasture.

July 30, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  10. Ann

Well, she also better speak at the last night of the Democratic convention as the VP nominee or I will NOT be voting for Obama.

July 30, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  11. mwm

i guess it's alright if women vote,too.

July 30, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  12. Kevin,FL

Well, I hope come convention time, a 1932 election year repeats itself

July 30, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  13. David in Illinois

Good. That will be the only night I will be watching the Obama fest. After the party and the press have shoved obama down our throats it will be refreashing to see a real candidate on stage at the convention.Obama and the press and the old lions of this party have managed to do what Rush, George Bush (1 and 2) Newt and the rest of the Right has been unable to do-turn this life long Dem into an Ind.We can life with another four years of Republicans we can not life with another four years of a bankrupt party ;and that is what the Dems have become.

July 30, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  14. Raymond Duke

She can do all the campagining for Obama that she wants to and so can Bill but I will not be voting for Obama. I would have supported her but I will be voting for John McCain,

July 30, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  15. Rumi

I would feel better with Hillary in office with Obama than Obama alone. I feel I could trust her to keep us i nthe checks and balances.

July 30, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  16. android

I wish it was an acceptance speech.

July 30, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  17. Travis Johns

she ought to get more than a slot- she ought to be the nominee!!!
    Hillary 08 or McCain 08

July 30, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  18. Sholbo (Atlanta) Ga

And so what??????????

July 31, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  19. Phuoc

If Win:

Obama, frist President (black skin)
    Hillary, frist Vice President (woman)

I Love it !!!!!!!

July 31, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  20. george

Now that we have Ludacris – we life-long Dems know where we stand.

PUMA

July 31, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  21. ECHO MOLIMBA ZENOHA

mr MACAIN said, that OBAMA is "uppity" let me remind me MACIAN, that there was a time in this country, when whites use to lyneh black men for beeing "uppity" in other words, they do not know their place, so i would advise mr MACAIN, to walk softly, because i am a black man from the island, and we do not take any mess.

July 31, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  22. DaddysDarlin

This will be a historic day!!! We still believe, and if they give Hillary a vote in nomination, she will be the democratic nominee!!! There is no reason to be afraid of a vote in nomination, unless you are Obama, and that is why he is trying his hardest to block the vote. Is that democracy in action? Or just more dirty Chicago style politics? Obama has overplayed himself, as much as he loves himself, he just cant get those Hillary supporters to feel the same. Be afraid Obama, be very afraid. We baby-boomers will break you, and you know it.
    Puma Democrat

July 31, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  23. Timber (ex dem)

Now she is a candidate we could be proud of. The DNC did her wrong big time and I will never forget how they shoved Obama down our throats. They should all resign. I would vote for Hillary for president, but I would not vote for Obama. I don't want a Britney Spears or a Lindsay Lohan running the country! Obama is just that, a celebrity, an empty suit.
    I will tune in to see Hillary. I hope they have her name in nomination or is Obama scared?

July 31, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  24. Kevin

Simply magnificent!

July 31, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  25. Anonymous

Good. It's very appropriate. 🙂 Thank you, Sen. Clinton for all you've done!

July 31, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |