July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. CTP

YES WE WILL!!!

Obama '08 / America '08!

July 31, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  2. nancy

Whoppee.

July 31, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  3. Jonze

This could be really powerful if done right. I think the confirms that Sen. Clinton will not be the VP though, which I am sure disappoints her supporters. The timing for both Sen. Clinton's speech (anniversary of Womens Right to Vote ratification) and Sen. Obama's accepting the Democratic nomination on the 45th anniversary of MLK's "I Have a Dream" Speech couldn't be better.

I just hope that Sen. Clinton has finally accepted her fate and is at peace with it – I don't think she was there when she conceded and it showed. Her speech can really go a long way in pushing Obama into the White House, while establishing her as a national player and strong voice out of the Senate for years to come. It's time for the wounds to heal (I don't think they are yet) and for the party to come together behind Barack, and behind the Clinton Legacy.

July 31, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  4. S. Boatman

Thats Good For Her. . . But I Still Dont Want To See I On The Ticket! She Will Be Able To Do More I The Senate!

July 31, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  5. Raymond Duke

Hillary is going to speak for this guy after the rapper friend of his calls her an irrevelant B-ch. Well all you hillary voters go ahead and vote for this man. Of course the usual Obama rehortic. It is awful and he shouldn't have made them statements and I disavow him. That seems awful famaliar. Lets see there was Reverend Wright, there was Ayers and his other domestic terriost friend, father Flager, Bill Beckel his democrat surrgoate calling white people WHITEY and CRACKER, his wife with finally being proud of America for the first time in her adult life, Of course throw in Farrakkun, Roland Martin (CNN CONTRIBUTOR) , Jamal CNN CONTRIBUTOR and last his famous words to all them white people who didn't vote for him as uneducated , gun toting, religous racist.. Of course he disavows all of it. What a man , what a man.

July 31, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  6. Kansasboy

Get ready everyone. This can only mean good things.

July 31, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  7. Kyle Indianapolis, Indiana

Very cool. People will be falling asleep at the McCain convention

July 31, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  8. Progressive

I'm a big time supporter of Obama, and have mad respect for Hillary. She is a brilliant woman of the past, and the future. This convention is going to be one for the ages, as it's the year of the Dems, a time for change.

July 31, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  9. tina

I love the symbolism of Obama speaking on the anniversary of Martin Luther Kings I have a dream speech and now Hillary is speaking on the anniversary of 19th Amendment. Couldn't get any better.

I can't wait for both speeches!

DEMOCRATS UNITE!

July 31, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  10. mary e

HC every night is your night with me, you make me proud to be a women and that anything is possible, I wish you the best. But I no longer can trust the DNC I tried to believe in Obama but I can't not now or ever he just doesn't do it for me I don't believe anything he says, he runs hot and cold so I am very sorry but I have thought very hard about this election I am glad I voted for you and glad that I had the right to do so. GOOD LUCK

July 31, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  11. Obama 2008!

Together: "Wonder Twin powers ACTIVATE!!!"

Obama: "Form of...a president!!!"

Hillary: "Shape of...a vice-president!"

I know some people dislike that idea, and I know some people really like that idea.

I think, that despite the negativity people see around Hillary and the Clintons, and the risk of Hillary not seeing eye-to-eye on Obama's vision for America, the combination would be awesome.

I do think that Obama should choose a VP according to deep survey analysis, to make sure that his VP choice would actually result in a net gain of votes on election day, and maybe Hillary does not represent as much of a net gain as some of the other VP possibilities. It difficult to say without having access to survey data. But, my instinct tells me (Uh, oh! "Truthiness" alert!) that Hillary would be a great choice. The other VP options, while serving to answer those who claim Obama needs more foreign policy experience on his team (LOL! Like he wouldn't be surrounded by experts on everything! Can the president not simply make a phone call to MIT or to world leaders to get information?!), I think Hillary has more vitality and obvious popularity (and infamy, too).

We'll see! This is exciting! The only thing more exciting would be if McCain had an ethical epiphany and decided to drop out of the race!

OBAMA for President!

July 31, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  12. Peggy

Peanuts! I am voting for McCain now that it looks like Obama is pushing Hillary aside. Funny how he has turned out to be just another typical dishonest politician!

July 31, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  13. kda

I still yearn for HRC as the POTUS, but I support Obama. Madam President though is tough to shake...

July 31, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  14. Denise Groves

Who cares. She should be flipping burgers at mackiemac to pay off her campaign debt

July 31, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  15. Hortense

Hillary wil remind us that she is from the past and still living in the past. Hillary read the Feminie Mystique but did not learn from it. A liberated woman would have ditched Bill long ago.

July 31, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  16. Carol - Litchfield CT

IT'S TIME TO WRITE IN HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT
    IT'S TIME TO WRITE IN HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT
    IT'S TIME TO WRITE IN HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT

THE MEN HAVE HAD THEIR FAIR SHARE CHANCE TO BRING ABOUT ORDER IN GOVERNMENT. HILLARY IS THE CHANGE WE NEED. ANY WOMAN KNOWS THAT ITS UP TO THEM TO KEEP ORGANIZED AND MAINTAIN ORDER IN ALL ASPECTS OF RUNNING AND MANAGEMENT OF AN ORGANIZATION. COME ON LADIES – SIT UP, TAKE NOTICE, THINK – VOTE

July 31, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  17. John A

Nice... maybe NOW she'll ACTUALLY help the Obama campaign.
    ...seriously... like actually DO SOMETHING USEFULL with herself!
    I'm surprised she hasn't become a FOX comentator, like some of her other flunkies.

July 31, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  18. Carl from MI

She deserves her moment in the spotlight... she's earned it. She's come farther than any woman before her. What better way to celebrate the 19th Amendment? Back then, men thought that women voting would bring about the end of our country and the end of the world. Neither happened...

It didn't happen with blacks in the military, it won't happen with gays in the military or with gay marriage. The Dark Ages are over... it's the new Millennia. The Radical Right needs to change how they think or they will go the way of the Dodo bird and literally become a casualty of evolution. (Just to make them feel better about it, we'll call them victims of 'Intelligent Design'!!)

July 31, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  19. Hillary For Prez

I still say if she ran as an independent she would put the hurt on both Obama and McCain... Don't wait 4 years, Hillary! Do it now!

July 31, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  20. Penny

President Hillary Rodham Clinton 2012
    Hillary Rodham Clinton 2012
    Hillary Rodham Clinton 2012
    Hillary Rodham Clinton 2012

July 31, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  21. Colbert

I bet she pays tribute to the 18 million crackpots in a rubber room ceiling. Then cries.

July 31, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  22. debkansas

Go Hillary.

The smartest candidate for the nomination.

Hillary for President

July 31, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  23. Mark, B'ham., Al.

If Hillary getting a spot to speak on the 2nd day of the convention is a pay off for her support Obama got off cheap. I wonder what else he promised her for her support? A Supreme Court spot?

July 31, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  24. Sarah

I'll make sure to switch the channel. It has been so nice not having Clintons in the news.

July 31, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  25. REE

That's the only night that will be worth watching.

Still not voting for Obama