July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. The Real Issue

I am sure that she will speak on behalf of women but also deal with the Real Issue....The election of Barack Obama as the next president of the United States..............

July 31, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  2. Claire

If Hillary represents a symbol of, and role model for, women's advancement, why does it have to be Hillary and NO OTHER woman for VP? All this talk of blackmail and offense if Obama picks another woman. Spite would prevent the real possibility of any woman becoming second-in-command in 2008? So much for women's upliftment.

July 31, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  3. Texas Trail Dog!

TO TEXAS TRAIL DOG WON'T HUNT – COME TO TEXAS IF YOU WON'T TO GO HUNTING. NO MALICE INTENDING. I'LL TAKE YOU ON A TRAIL RIDE YOU WON'T FORGET WHEN IT COMES TO HUNTING. SERIOUSLY, WE'LL TAKE A TRAIL RIDE CAMP OUT AND HAVE FUN IN GENERAL. DRINK A FEW BEERS. SHOOT A FEW SQUIRRELLS OR MAYBE A DEER IF IT'S IN SEASON. YOU'RE IN NO DANGER FROM ME. I'M JUST AN OLD FRIENDLY COWPOKE WHO BELIEVES IN MORALS AND TRUTH. I CONSIDER MYSELF FRIENDS OF AFRICANS AMERICANS AS EVERY OTHER NATIONALITY. IT'S NOT CAUSE OBAMA IS BLACK THAT I AM AGAINST. HE IS WAY TOO FAR LEFT FOR ME. HE HAS TOO MUCH TIES TO REV. RIGHTS, REZKO($860,000 IN A SHADY LAND DEAL) USED COCAINE. HIRED A KNOW TERRORIST FOR HIS SENATE CAMPAIGN IN IL. HIS NEW PASTOR THE REV. MOSS. HIS VISITING PRIEST??? PLEGHER. HIS RIGGED PRAY ON THE WALL IN ISRAEL THAT HE KNEW WAS GOING TO THE PRESS, NO DOUBT ON THIS ONE. STAGED ALL THE WAY TO PROVE HE IS A CHRISTIAN. WHICH IS FALSE. TOO MUCH TALK ON HIS HOMOSEXUALITY. THESE ARE SOME OF THE REASON I CAN NOT VOTE FOR HIM. OH YEAH, HE'S A HANDSOME MAN!! SURE ENOUGH. HE LOOKS LIKE A ICCABOD CRANE WITH LARGE EARS. HANDSOME. NOT??? REMEMBER HE'S ALSO HALF WHITE. YOU COULD ALL HIM AFRICAN WHITE ALSO INSTEAD OF AFRICAN AMERICAN NOT THAT IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE. HE STILL DOES NOT HAVE THE KNOW HOW TO RUN A COUNTRY SUCH AS THE LARGEST FREE NATION IN THE WORLD.

July 31, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  4. IL voter

I look forward to her speech. I sincerely hope it will open the eyes of some on-the-fence female voters who are considering a McCain vote. McCain is not at all in tune with women's issues, and is his political stances are much farther removed from hers than are Obama's (which are nearly identical, except for a few differences in how they would bring about the same changes for the citizens of our country). Remember PUMA, there is no guarantee that Hillary will run again in 4 years if McCain is elected. There is also no guarantee that Obama will not make another run and win the primaries a second time. After 8 years of Bush, I personally feel that this is a risky gamble and not worth another 4 years of record deficits, economic woes, and over-extension of our military forces.

July 31, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  5. Carl from MI

Hey Nightengale... you're one of the Radical Right too. Bummer that this November you and your friends will become a casulties of evolution or 'Intelligent Design' too. Maybe you'd vote for Ann Coulter for President? I'm sure she represents your views...

By the way... how come you never mention Dubya in any of your blogs? Is it that you're ashamed of him? Maybe you just don't have anything worthwhile to say about him? You can bash Obama left and right... but I never hear you compare Obama to Dubya. Be a good sport and humor me. Tell me only the good things that come to mind about Dubya.... (if you actually come up with anything at all!)

July 31, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  6. nycitizen

honestly...who cares? Hillary Clinton as the ultimate leader of woman's liberation ....give me a break....it's the biggest fairy tale!!

July 31, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  7. Sue in Florida

Looking forward to it. Can think of no one who could do it better. Having the fight within her for what she needs to do or be, how representative she will be of this special day for all women.
    There wil be the right time at some point when things line up in
    the order they were meant to be. Hillary will be even more
    prepared for the task at that time. It's a new day every morning!

July 31, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  8. McArsenic

well welcome to the party Senator Clinton...hope you have been well, still don't understand how your debt got bigger

July 31, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  9. FilAm

Tuesday night is Women's night.

July 31, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  10. Tom

Barack and Hillary, 08!

July 31, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  11. Michael, Lorain, Ohio

What? You mean she isn't going to speak on Thursday when she accepts the nomination??? /sarcasm

July 31, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  12. bob in LA

It sounds like an appropriate decision given the date. Maybe she can ask for a vote that night for her nomination the next day as well. Obama sure isn't doing the job necessary to win!

July 31, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  13. Observant

That's nice

July 31, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  14. Jackie Rawlings

I voted for Hillary and I'm African American. Hillary should be picked as VP. If Obama is as smart as I hope he is he'll ask Hillary to be his VP and bring along her 18 million voter base. As Obama looks for running mates not one can bring 18 million votes with them.

July 31, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  15. Danny

She should be the nominee. I almost can't take it. I plan on voting for Barack but I'm not terribly happy about it. She was just a much stronger candidate.

July 31, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  16. Jennifer from Atlanta

who cares? really.

July 31, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  17. CB from PA

Yeah Go Hillary!

And Go Obama!

Democrats Unite

Obama/Clinton, Obama/Biden, or Obama/Sebelius '08, '12!!!!

July 31, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  18. ddc

"Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her."

Really? Even Kay Bailey Hutchison, Susan Collins, and Olympia Snowe?

July 31, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  19. melisa

we i miss you hillary go Obama/clinton08 G0!!!!!!!! suck is Mccain

July 31, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  20. Felines for Freedom

How very appropriate. I wonder if Obama will announce a running mate before then. Or, perhaps Clinton's event will be more than just a ceremonial speech, following maybe on the heels of an announcement that Clinton is the running mate. I'd still like to see the dream team ticket.

Obama – Clinton '08 (although, I still would've preferred the reverse) 🙁

July 31, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  21. Seattle for Obama

Sounds like an excellent plan. I like the idea of Hillary leading the way on "ladies night". Very deserving for her and a strong message to the country about the key women in the Democratic Party.

July 31, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  22. J.V.Hodgson

Nice to know what she will do next and for sure we will find out here.
    She will of course laud the power of women in the voting arena.The questions I would like answered are
    1) Will she choose this speech to launch her presidential candidacy again?
    2) If not still 50/50 to me. What will be the tenor of her speech i.e openly and strongly and unequivocally supporting Obama, or a minefield of political platitudes apparently supporting but saying effectively, I'll be back in 2012?
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

July 31, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  23. Wisconsin

I hope they destroy McSame. McSame is such a low life looser. He has actually taken campaigning to a new low.

I can't respect him or anyone that would vote for him.

July 31, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  24. interesting

Can anyone say PUMA 2008?

Now, how about a public roll call vote if you please, the crew being paid by Obama (aka superdelegates)?

PUMA 2008!

July 31, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  25. Garry St. fleur

hey, obama how are you doing i'm garry i live in the Bahamas. i was wondering why are you trying to take away our offshore banks investors away from us, knowing that we are a nation that have been very supportive of you and the United States. Please don't do that if you bcome the president, because my country relies on Tourism and further more, Cuba deserve their reward in tourism, but don't let it affect us entirely, Cause we are still one of the most beautiful destination to visit. We are a black and hurting nation at this time of need.. However, if you do look deep down in your soul and see the outcome of this propasl and see that it isn't worth affecting my naton at this maginitude. Please take this matter seriously and reconsider your views. especially from a God fearing person like yourself. Thank you for your time and may God continue to bless you and presidency. Before i Go please meet with my prime minister the Honorable Mr. Hubert Alexander Ingraham or simply visit the Bahamas and see for yourself what type of condition it's in before you execute your plans. ps Your brother in Christ,
    Garry St. Fleur