July 30th, 2008

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

ALT TEXT

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux has learned that Sen. Clinton will speak Tuesday night at the Democratic convention. Photo credit: Getty Images/File.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

1. Rhonda Cummings

Put her on the ticket.

July 31, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  2. Frank O'Neil

So what? Are these Clinton's delusional supporters are finaly going to back off now?

July 31, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  3. Garry St. fleur

Greeting from the bahamas................hey, obama how are you doing i'm garry i live in the Bahamas. i was wondering why are you trying to take away our offshore banks investors away from us, knowing that we are a nation that have been very supportive of you and the United States. Please don't do that if you bcome the president, because my country relies on Tourism and further more, Cuba deserve their reward in tourism, but don't let it affect us entirely, Cause we are still one of the most beautiful destination to visit. We are a black and hurting nation at this time of need.. However, if you do look deep down in your soul and see the outcome of this propasl and see that it isn't worth affecting my naton at this maginitude. Please take this matter seriously and reconsider your views. especially from a God fearing person like yourself. Thank you for your time and may God continue to bless you and presidency. Before i Go please meet with my prime minister the Honorable Mr. Hubert Alexander Ingraham or simply visit the Bahamas and see for yourself what type of condition it's in before you execute your plans. ps Your brother in Christ,
    Garry St. Fleur

July 31, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  4. DLF

In 2008, the DNC took away womens right to vote and gave the election to Obama!

I wonder if Clinton will acknowledge that?

July 31, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  5. David Newport, OR

I strongly disagree w/ the supporter comment that " Tuesday night is Hillary night". It should represent the voice of all women.

July 31, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  6. BO

peace be on earth!! stop that PUMA....NOW!!

July 31, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  7. The Canadian

Oh my, here come the last ditch efforts of PUMA to further divide the party

July 31, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  8. Marj,Paso Robles, Cal

Gee. I can't wait. One idiot after another praising Dumbama. And so the demise of America begins.

July 31, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  9. emmanuel

Why Cant Hillary just win at the convention with a roll call...Obama has had a chance to prove he can win and he beats McCain only with a few %points....Hillary is a hardcore Fighter....Get em Girl

July 31, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  10. Brandon Hillary Puma4Mc

Despite that very important anniversary obama the democratic selected nominee will snub her by not offering her the vice presidency.
    Obama our votes do count and you will see November 4 when you lose because of this stupid move.

Hillary you are always my girl !!!!! The race is nothing now
    NOBAMA>
    Mc 2008
    Hillary 2012

Not Falling in Line-"NOT THIS TIME PUMA!!!!

July 31, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  11. robby10001

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

July 31, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  12. A Recovering Republican

An appropriate "prize" for the runner-up.

10 years sober.

July 31, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  13. PW Va

That's the night of the convention I will be sure NOT to watch!

July 31, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  14. donna, Derwood, MD

Hilary Clinton and Richardson would have been a great ticket to run against McCain. I think the democratic party will be sorry one day that she did not get the nomination considering that Obama today does not appear to be viable presidential material. I think many republicans (including myself) would have voted for Mrs. Clinton....they sure won't vote for Obama.

July 31, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  15. Janet

It will be wonderful to hear Senator Clinton speaking to the nation again. If only she were leading it.

July 31, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  16. Paul

She is awesome!!!!!!!!

Obama 08'

July 31, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  17. Daniel

She deserves it, she worked tirelessly. Hope she gets VP though won't be disappointed if she doesn't.

July 31, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  18. Alexa

I am not thinking of voting for Obama. I was/am a huge Hillary supporter. I am, however, thrilled to learn that she will speak at the convention! Hopefully she will as Obama's VP, maybe then I'll vote for him.

July 31, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  19. Puma-SF

I forgot to say "I love you, Hillary. See you tomorrow."

July 31, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  20. ExDem

Hillary – I BEG you to run as an Independent. This empty suit does not deserve one ounce of your attention – YOU should be president.

July 31, 2008 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  21. NoToObama

Keep the excellent work Mrs Clinton. You have done soo much good for women in politics that i know you will shine on that day. Your supporters will be there for you now and later.

July 31, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  22. James

I applaud Clinton for her successes and how close she came to being the nominee. I think she deserves her spot in the convention in the spotlight.

But what would the backlash be with many voters if Obama was openly campaigning as the Black candidate that African-Americans had been working for? What would be said if he was on center stage openly talking about the racism and prejudice that was directed towards him?

I don't think I have to answer those questions for anyone reading this post. I'm sure you already know how far he would have gotten and how nasty and virulent the response would be by some.

July 31, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  23. swoosie10

Hillary–You are a hot political babe and will always have this girl's vote if you want it! Please leave Bill and come on home to California where the living is easy. :–)

July 31, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  24. Kevin

It'll be a poignant night when most of the people sitting in the convention would realize what a horrible mistake they have made... again... in the primaries.

It looks like 2004 all over again. =)

July 31, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  25. matthew sweet

if this means hillary is out as VP, then Obama has lost my vote.

July 31, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |