August 13th, 2008

Clooney denies e-mail relationship with Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/13/art.clooney.gi.jpg caption="Clooney denies giving Obama policy advice."]
(CNN)—George Clooney and Scarlett Johansson have more in common than their A-list star status: both have had to shoot down reports they’re  close e-mail buddies of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Clooney is flatly denying a report in the Los Angeles Times that he “frequently text messages the Illinois senator with whom he's been friends for many years.”

"I have never texted or e-mailed Senator Obama. And I'll offer a million dollars to anyone who could prove otherwise,” Clooney said in a statement. “I've spent more time with Senator McCain (he did my TV show) then I have with Senator Obama. I would hope that my friend John McCain would join me in condemning this kind of politics.”

“I feel that at times you can harm the person that you are trying to help,” Clooney told said in February.

Watch: Clooney won't hit the trail for Obama

As for offering policy advice? Clooney said both candidates are doing well without his input.

“Although I support Senator Obama I would never be dumb enough to offer policy advice to either candidate.”

In June, Scarlett Johansson, an ardent Obama supporter, told a Politico reporter that she had e-mailed the Illinois senator. Amid the media frenzy that followed, Johansson downplayed the extent of the communication.

"It seemed to me to be like a product of extreme sexism, and I kept thinking to myself, 'God, if this was just, like, Kal Penn or George Clooney or any of the other (Obama) surrogates or supporters ... there wouldn't be (any) question about it. Nobody would even talk about it," she said.

They may not be blackberry buddies, but Clooney is set to host a fundraiser for Obama in September in Geneva, Switzerland.

(Updated Wednesday night to clarify that Johansson did not deny e-mailing Obama, though she did minimize the significance and frequency.)

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. CT voter

What the hell does this have to do with anything, Mccains campaign will make a fuss of it though I'm sure, freaking paparazzi, they will do anything to stay clear of the real issues. Pathetic...

August 13, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  2. Bob Indianapolis, IN

More distractions from the Reptilicans and their enablers in Mainstream Media...

August 13, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  3. Debby

Didn't we just go through this with Edwards? 2 months down the road we will find out Clooney emailed Obama. LOL

August 13, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

So what if he does talk to Clooney from time to time. Oh, I know what the problem is with this situation. Clooney is a politically incorrect liberal.

August 13, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. Enquiring Mind

This is better than the Brittney Madonna kiss to get attention

Janet Jackson wardrobe malfuntion got attention

These two failed stars can help put each other back in the tabloids they love to have their picture taken.

Obama is doing a good job or repackaging socialism, but his magic is gone.

August 13, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. vic nashville,Tn

Los Angeles Times try to cook something !!!!!!!!!
    At last truth is coming out Mc Cain will be better president than Obama
    Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

August 13, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  7. Les-Wa

George you've just lost me. I'll never watch any of your movies again. Movie stars should stay where they, HOLLYWEIRD!

August 13, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  8. non black nonwhite

the media doesn't like obama and his supporters that is why he gets the most negative coverage. clooney & Johansson are being badgered by the press for liking a democrat. it's a conspiracy against the dems because the media is funded by Rupert Murdock and Bush

August 13, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. Steve - Wyoming

How come Hillary's name wasn't in this article? She's in everything else regardless of relevance!

August 13, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. ProudToBeDemocrat

Republicans are a bunch of whiners and liers.

August 13, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  11. Alice Brinkley

I like Sen Lieberman. He reaches across party lines for the good of the country rather than just supporting the party line. Sen Lieberman as well as Sen McCain have proven their statesmanship by their acts over many years, while Obama can't show one darn thing that he has done for the good of the country. Obama TALKS good, that's all–empty suit he is.

August 13, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  12. Sane John

Right wing loonies love to try to defame Obama by tying him to the "Hollywood Left".

Of course, they have no problems watching the movies and TV shows that come out of Hollywood. Hypocrites. So what if Obama and Clooney or Johansson send emails and texts back and forth? Even if it was true, I wouldn't care. Who decided presidents and presidential candidates shouldn't have friends?

And wasn't Reagan an actor?

August 13, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  13. PUMA 4 HILL

Why would Obama need Larry Sinclair if he has doe-eyed Clooney at his side... I am sure these guys have a little fun together.

Won't vote for this leftist radical – no accomplishments, no morals.

We'll remember in November.

August 13, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  14. Informed Voter

Your Political ticker is turning into a tabloid ticker, first was Scarlett now Clooney ... give Obama a break

August 13, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  15. Abby

He said "I would hope that my friend John McCain would join me in condemning this kind of politics.” !! Sen McCain ???

_____________________________________________________
    I'm over The Hill and i'm voting for Obama

August 13, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  16. biffington, biff

What is this.... the Enquirer, People?

who cares?

August 13, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  17. What if?

TO Les-Wa August 13th, 2008 11:04 am ET
    ------------------------------
    Lose a few, gain a million George...Who cares Les-Wa, a nobody....

August 13, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  18. Oliver

Clooney stated he will offer $1Million to anyone with proof he has been in touch with Obama. Sounds like a public and binding agreement. Someone from the phone company should check his text messaging history and score a cool million from Clooney.

August 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  19. R.I.F.

Nice jab at McCain's celebrity Clooney!

Obama '08

August 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  20. The Shepherd

Celebrities have to stick together.

August 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  21. Typical White Person

"Clooney told CNN in February he had no plans to hit the campaign trail for the presumptive Democratic nominee despite his endorsement because of the adverse affects celebrity endorsements can have on a candidate."

But Clooney is now going to do a foreign fundraiser for Obama.

Flip-flopping birds of a feather...

August 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  22. Anonymous

WHATS OBAMA DOING NOW TRYING TO GET IN THE MOVIES. HE ALREADY THINKS HE IS A ROCK STAR ETC. OBAMA IS A BIG JOKE AND YOU FOLLOWERS WILL SOON FIND OUT.

August 13, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  23. anonymous

Hollywood stinks and so does Politics

August 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  24. THE BUSH TWINS : GEORGE & JOHN

Don't hold your breath George, McBush will never condem these kind of rumors. Haven't you noticed taking the low road is all McBush is about, in fact it was probably one of his flunkys that started the rumor.

August 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  25. Celebrity

Handsome, bright, charismatics flock together.
    Are you jealous McInsane? You have a look alike Lieberman.

August 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |