August 13th, 2008

Clooney denies e-mail relationship with Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/13/art.clooney.gi.jpg caption="Clooney denies giving Obama policy advice."]
(CNN)—George Clooney and Scarlett Johansson have more in common than their A-list star status: both have had to shoot down reports they’re  close e-mail buddies of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Clooney is flatly denying a report in the Los Angeles Times that he “frequently text messages the Illinois senator with whom he's been friends for many years.”

"I have never texted or e-mailed Senator Obama. And I'll offer a million dollars to anyone who could prove otherwise,” Clooney said in a statement. “I've spent more time with Senator McCain (he did my TV show) then I have with Senator Obama. I would hope that my friend John McCain would join me in condemning this kind of politics.”

Clooney told CNN in February he had no plans to hit the campaign trail for the presumptive Democratic nominee despite his endorsement because of the adverse affects celebrity endorsements can have on a candidate.

“I feel that at times you can harm the person that you are trying to help,” Clooney told said in February.

Watch: Clooney won't hit the trail for Obama

As for offering policy advice? Clooney said both candidates are doing well without his input.

“Although I support Senator Obama I would never be dumb enough to offer policy advice to either candidate.”

In June, Scarlett Johansson, an ardent Obama supporter, told a Politico reporter that she had e-mailed the Illinois senator. Amid the media frenzy that followed, Johansson downplayed the extent of the communication.

"It seemed to me to be like a product of extreme sexism, and I kept thinking to myself, 'God, if this was just, like, Kal Penn or George Clooney or any of the other (Obama) surrogates or supporters ... there wouldn't be (any) question about it. Nobody would even talk about it," she said.

They may not be blackberry buddies, but Clooney is set to host a fundraiser for Obama in September in Geneva, Switzerland.

(Updated Wednesday night to clarify that Johansson did not deny e-mailing Obama, though she did minimize the significance and frequency.)

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Fay Tx

To- Les Wa IDIOT!!!

August 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  2. StellaTex

The picture with this story is obviously a composite and should be labeled as such. Why does CNN have the journalistic standards of a supermarket tabloid? Please change the pic or the caption.

August 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. Informed Voter

CNN it's time to ban people for being Off-Topic!!!!!!

August 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  4. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to Alice Brinkley:

Lieberman has always had an agenda and always will. McCain "talks" well, too; first he's against off-shore drilling, and then he's for it!

August 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. Brandon

Republicans still trying the "Celebrity" tactic I see. How stupid....

August 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  6. Obama supporter:White, 60 year old woman

Why is it the socalled Hillary supporters have so much to say on the non issue blogs like this and yet are deathly quiet on the blogs on real issues like the ones on Georgia??

Better to have an email connection with an American than a relationship with a foreign leader through a lobbyist.

August 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  7. Leper Colony of Pariah Hill

This article is irrelevant. What is infinitely more important should be:

What does Hillary Want?

August 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. Ron Democrat turned independent

well maybe he can get obama a part in his next film if he loses the election. with his acting abilities he should be a quick study

August 13, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  9. Razor Willy

Whatever... Is Les-Wa on crack? Let me get this right... Because George talks to Obama or not we should all freeeeak out. God... get back on your meds

August 13, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  10. Fay Tx

You are Right George Thanks for the Endorsement....Look over the Trouble Making Media

August 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  11. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

ME TOO. OR THREE OR WHAT EVER.

AT LEAST I WISH !!!!

ACTUALLY ROOMER HAS IT,THAT OBAMA DOES PICK

AT RANDOM, A NUMBER OF EMAILS TO ANSWER, AND

THAT ALL HIS DONORS AT THE END OF THE CAMPAIGN

WILL GET A SURPRISE THANK YOU. IF THAT IS THE CASE,

I WILL BE GETTING 12 OF THOSE. WATCH OUT WORLD.

HERE COME THE AMERICANS, AGAIN.

August 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  12. Joe Kiloz

So what if Clooney and Hollywood give Obama advice ? That may be in part based on Obama's lack of experience and maybe he wants to reach out to all who support his points of view.

Why would Mr. Clooney host a fundraiser in Geneva ? Is he trying to preempt or get around existing restrictions ?

August 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  13. INDEPENDANT VET

Hollywood ,< Maybe Cooney can make a movie , from one of Obama's Books.

Obama playing himself . For he knows how by now . Sore Lip.An soon will be a sore loozer < Rezko will lone him his shoulder , cry baby cry .

First we had SWIFT BOAT , Now we have FLIP FLOP < WRIGHT On .

August 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  14. charles

and the point is???

August 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  15. Debra

You say we can't have Hillary as VP...But THAT is exactly what we want! that is the LEAST Barack coud do! I don't want anything else. Just Clinton as VP. Why is it so hard?

August 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  16. Craig, Texas

So where are you Johnny boy ?

Lieberman and McCain are not statesman, they are buffoons that will get us mired in more wars. If McCain had his way we would be starting World War III right now backing uncritically the blunders made by Saakashvili in taunting Russia militarily and giving them the opening they so much wanted.

August 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  17. gary

KEEP VOTING FOR YOUTH AN UNEXPERIENCE AND WE WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING. WITH AGE COMES WISDOM. OUR NATIONAL SECURITY IS THE MAIN ISSUE. WITHOUT THAT ,NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. TODAY GEORGIA TOMMORROW U.S.A. THINK ABOUT IT. OUR COUNTRY IS HEADED FOR THE WORST YET. WE NEED SOMEONE THAT HAS KNOWLEDGE ABOUT SECURING IT.

August 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  18. Tony

Denying doesn't make it so George!

August 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  19. BigDeal

I did not have textual relations with that man

August 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  20. RealityKing

The NYTimes is merely plagiarizing Britain's Daily Mail newspaper.

They were the first to find that George Clooney is an “unofficial” adviser to Senator Obama. They also reported that Clooney is trying to hide the relationship because he fears “his left-wing views and playboy image” will hurt Obama's White House chances.

But the duo does regularly speak by phone, at least twice a week. The newspaper also quoted one source as saying, "George has been giving him advice on things such as presentation, public speaking and body language and policy, especially the Middle East."

Of course the proof would be in the pudding.., Does Clooney's Middle East policy match that of Obama's?? Why yes it does! Hmmm.....

August 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |

GO BACK AND CHECK YOUR NOTES FROM JOURNALISM 101

August 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  22. Natalie, NH

Move on.CNN

August 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  23. Ask me if I care

Does anyone really care about these hair brain movie stars? Movie stars are not running for President and they will not be leading our Country. Just pay attention to what Obama is saying and doing and then when you realize he is saying and doing "nothing", vote for McCain.

Better yet, hope HIllary's name is put in for nomination at the convention. One never knows what a twist of fate might happen there.

August 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  24. spoton

not a conservative story folks.we have no allies in the mainstream media and really do not care who emails obama as we believe obama is just not the type candidate we need to lead this country

August 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  25. CT voter

Wow look at the republican posters actually trying to make a big issue out of this, how pathetic...

August 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |