August 14th, 2008

Obama camp reaches two million donor mark

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/14/art.screen.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign has surpassed 2 million donors."](CNN) — Barack Obama's campaign announced Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, reaching the two million donor mark with more than two months left until Election Day.

“Today we achieved something amazing - 2,000,000 donors owning a piece of this campaign,” read a message on the campaign’s Web site. “In the face of John McCain’s low road tactics, it's more important than ever to keep our movement growing and show the power of millions of grassroots supporters coming together to work for change.”

In an e-mail to supporters Monday, campaign manager David Plouffe said he hoped a backlash from a television spot from John McCain’s campaign that painted Obama as a celebrity would help the campaign reach that mark by the party's convention at the end of August, just six months after the campaign topped one million donors.

"Two million donors is an incredible number — a number that was previously unimaginable for presidential campaigns," he wrote. "And it's a number this campaign never dreamed we could reach before the convention."

Obama surpassed one million donors in late February. As of the end of June, the most recent fundraising figures available, Obama had raised nearly $340 million for his presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. ProudDemocrat

From Factcheck

McCain released three new ads with multiple false and misleading claims about Obama's tax proposals.

A TV spot claims Obama once voted for a tax increase "on people making just $42,000 a year." That's true for a single taxpayer, who would have seen a tax increase of $15 for the year – if the measure had been enacted. But the ad shows a woman with two children, and as a single mother, she would not have been affected unless she made more than $62,150. The increase that Obama once supported as part of a Democratic budget bill is not part of his current tax plan anyway.

AThese ads continue what's become a pattern of misrepresentation by the McCain campaign about his opponent's tax proposals.

August 14, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. JImmy in California

I am proud also to be one of the 2,000,000 contributors but I am appalled at the fact that the Obama campaign has weakened and given in to the Clinton campaign to allow her name to be placed for nomination. I do not think this is going to be pretty at all and I suspect that Hillary will stop at nothing to get the nomination. I was one of her supporters until the night when she should have been giving congratulations to Senator Obama but instead she asked "WHAT DOES HILLARY WANT?" The night she did that I lost all respect for her and began to contribute to the Obama campaign. I could not contribute to retire her debt because Penn is one of her creditors and he is one of the people responsible for her defeat

OBAMA 08

August 14, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Jerry

I am so proud of Obama........American yes we can..........Let all join in elect Obama for president..........Change have begun now
    Black and White will show the world that American is one nation under God..............We love you Obama and Michelle........May God with you and family.

Love Obama 08

August 14, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. biffington, biff

Brian – Trinidad

OUR PAYBACK WILL BE GOOD GOVERNMENT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A DECADE.

August 14, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. Mark

I can't get more of him on TV I turn of my tv when the other guy comes on

August 14, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Jocelyn

Jocelyn in Phoenix another one of the proud 2 million. Keep up the great work Obama supporters and let's get Obama in the whitehouse and I pray with all my heart WITHOUT Hillary Clinton.

August 14, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. JB

Obama ... landslide 2008.

August 14, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. Sophia Leang

I AM ONE OF THOSE 2 MILLIONS!!!!

August 14, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. anthony,jacksonville fl

2 million and counting. the American people will not be lied to by a second macbush and swiftboat thrash book.We want our country and values restored. Lets go for 3 million.

August 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. J, Philly PA

Fantastic! This inspires me to donate to the campaign....how about some real change we can believe in???

Woo hoo! Obama 08!

August 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. Valerie - St. Louis, MO

'Wow what a feat!

August 14, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. Barbara

John McCain....a speed bump on the road to HISTORY!!!

Over 50, educated white woman voting OBAMA 08/12!!!

And I'm sending more money now!

August 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. Debby

All these donors and he will probably lose the general election oh the irony of it. hahaha Don't these donors know they are paying for that trip to Hawaii for the Obama family and friends. Call it the Madea/Obama Family Reunion on your dollar hahaha

August 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  14. Chips

Mike – Texas August 14th, 2008 12:32 pm ET

Low road tactics?????

At least McCain hasn't played the RACE card like Obama has, time and time and time and time again.

Obama's tactics are lower than McCain's or Hillary's.

MIKE,

McCain has played every card he had, but guess what he still holding
    the joker that he is!!!

August 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Matt: but remember, the total population also includes tens of millions of people who cannot vote, e.g., children, etc. The percentage would be higher; however, I agree that 2 million out of the total number of people who will be voting is a pretty small percentage.

It's a good story for Obama, though. I'm happy.

Oh, and Tammie from Cleveland: you are a disgrace to the human race.

August 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. INDEPENDENT NOW

THIS IS A VERY DIFFERENT WORLD THAN THE ONE WE GREW UP IN. WE NEED SOMEONE WHO IS VETTED TO TAKE OVER. LOOK AT THIS PAST WEEK ALONE. ALOT OF TURMOIL OUT THERE. I DONT WANT A ROOKIE IN OFFICE. HILARY MUCH BETTER CHOICE

August 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  17. jake, San Francisco, CA

xoxo

August 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. wayne

All these Obamamanian are blind and cheated. Why so excited? you think Obama will give you more money or what? Completed idiot!

August 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  19. Go Obama!

I, too, and one of the 2 million. What a day it will be when those 2 million people line Pennsylvania Ave to watch his motorcade to the White House!

August 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  20. tammy

I had considered leaving the Dem. party altogether. But, I've had time to think about it. I am upset but mostly with elected Dems. (There are some name calling dems that I don't like to well either, but they are not in a position to affect my life.) Therefore, I believe that not electing or supporting a different candidate would be the best way to get my party back. Edwards isn't the only elected (or previously elected) who is/has been power tripping. Mrs. Pelosi must have forgotten that she is also elected. If not, why bash party supporters who disagree with your position? We are not clones in the dem. party. We are individuals who come together regarding some principles. We don't agree on everything. But, after Gore, I thought we all agreed on fairness. Has being beaten by Bush caused our party to start playing the same/ or similar dirty tricks to win? You can't bash a side for behaving badly when you are doing the same thing. Don't question my support for the party just because I don't agree with you on all things and about all people. Don't criticize and try to debase me became my viewpoint isn't the same as your own. Don't try to tell me how to feel and how to act(like I am a child with no rights and no say in the matter). Finally, people change parties all of the time. Dem. Senator Webb (from VA) was a Republican. He switched parties. Remember, it was his seat that gave Dems control of the senate in the first place. Again, please remember, the Democratic Party is made up of people who are called anywhere from extreme left to centralist. We don't have to all have to believe in one person especially when another person, that some of us feel is more qualified, is available and willing to run the country. Don't turn away your members. Remember, house and senate races still have to be won. Furthermore, the next president has not been elected yet.

August 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  21. Obamacratic

Never in my life have I supported a candidate as I have Senator Obama. I will continue to give every payday until he is our President. Thank You Senator Obama, and I pray that GOD continues to BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!

August 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  22. ANGIE

WAY TO GO OBAMA !!! i donate when i can and senator obama dont worry we have your back if hillary trys to steal this from you YOU THINK THE PUMAS WERE BAD you aint seen nothing yet!!!!!!!! obamao8 obama08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! make no mistakes pumas and im voting for mccain if hillary aint vp I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER HERE IN PA TO MAKE SURE NO ONE VOTES FOR HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  23. George Washington

-To All Hilary Supporters Who Claim to Be Voting McCain-

I say this not as an Obama supporter, not as a Democrat, but as an fellow American patriot. The stakes are too high. Our country has endured eight years of failed neoconservative policies. The result is that our economy is crippled, our infrastructure is crumbling, our schools are failing, our military is overstretched, our environment is in grave danger, and even our beloved Constitution is in jeopardy. It is a crystal clear FACT that John McCain is surrounded by the same neoconservatives as our President. It is quite clear that John McCain intends to carry on the same failed policies we have seen over the last eight years. This is no campaign catchphrase- this is the cold, hard, and dangerous truth. For the sake of both future generations who are counting on us to make the right decision and past generations who fought and died for us to have a decision, put away your pride, put away your resentments against Barack Obama, put away whatever it is that is blinding your rationality and come to terms with the fact that Sen. Obama is the better of the only two choices we have at this critical moment in time.

August 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  24. joshua

IF CLINTON IS NOT vp OBABMA WILL LOSE PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  25. Lifelong Democrat

Barack Hussein Obama does not have my name or support.

I am McCaining in 08.