August 14th, 2008

Obama camp reaches two million donor mark

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/14/art.screen.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign has surpassed 2 million donors."](CNN) — Barack Obama's campaign announced Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, reaching the two million donor mark with more than two months left until Election Day.

“Today we achieved something amazing - 2,000,000 donors owning a piece of this campaign,” read a message on the campaign’s Web site. “In the face of John McCain’s low road tactics, it's more important than ever to keep our movement growing and show the power of millions of grassroots supporters coming together to work for change.”

In an e-mail to supporters Monday, campaign manager David Plouffe said he hoped a backlash from a television spot from John McCain’s campaign that painted Obama as a celebrity would help the campaign reach that mark by the party's convention at the end of August, just six months after the campaign topped one million donors.

"Two million donors is an incredible number — a number that was previously unimaginable for presidential campaigns," he wrote. "And it's a number this campaign never dreamed we could reach before the convention."

Obama surpassed one million donors in late February. As of the end of June, the most recent fundraising figures available, Obama had raised nearly $340 million for his presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. LD in CALI

OOOOOOOOOO! ME ME!!! LOL.
    I'm also one of those 2 million! YES WE CAN!!!

August 14, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

GREAT!

YES WE CAN!

August 14, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. Lisa

I thought it was $300,000,000 people in America? I guess everyone's not falling for The One!

August 14, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  4. Mike - Texas

Low road tactics?????

At least McCain hasn't played the RACE card like Obama has, time and time and time and time again.

Obama's tactics are lower than McCain's or Hillary's.

August 14, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. Herman in LA

To support a person who is so brilliant and has many accomplishment.

Why? Because he is ready to lead.

Excellent for President.

Barack Obama

August 14, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. Tammie From Cleveland

Does anyone realize that 99% of his donores are black Americans
    that are on food stamps, welfare and so on. SO as a matter of fact
    my tax dollars are being donated to Obama. MAKES ME SICK>

August 14, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  7. FL4Obama

YES!! Proud to be part of this historical coalition. Obama '08

August 14, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. skh4450IL

I'm one of them!!!! Way to go America!!

OBAMA 2008

August 14, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. Tam

Good, it will will be 3 million soon

August 14, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. Nick

Barack and Hillary 08-
    When the hell has McCain every said he doesn't approve of the gay "lifestyle"? Just because you quote it doesn't make it true.

August 14, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. Eric Jack

I'm of the two million!
    Historic vs PreHistoric!
    One President left office with Alzheimer we don't need another going in with Alzheimer!

Obama is the future of our great nation!

August 14, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. Tony

...and he's going to need every single vote (provided that those in those polled, and those who say they will vote for him, are actually registered voters or will get off their backsides and away from reality t.v. long enough to cast a vote.)

August 14, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  13. AL in West Palm Beach, FL

<<<< One of those 2,000,000

Oh!

Yes, it's the first time I have given my hard earned money to anyone other than someone standing in the street corner or a charity group.

August 14, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. Steve in DC

Hey PUMAS...nice number huh?

August 14, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  15. Laura

Whoppie!! Big Deal!! Who Cares?

Hillary '08

P.S. Come on you delegates and superdelegates...please admit to yourselves that Obama is in deep trouble. He barely has a lead and can not really call to many should be dem states his because the lead is so small (i.e. Mich, PA).

You can come decide that 2000 and 2004 were enough of losing. We thought Kerry flipped last time. Obama has him beat by a mile and yes Senator Kerry you can put that on your website.

Laura, Boston, MA

August 14, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  16. stephanie

EXPERIENCE NOT EXPERIMENT.

DEMS SHOULD HAVE REALIZED OBAMA IS JUST NOT READY..AND NOW WE SEE THAT REALITY. HE WONT DEBATE. HE CHANGES POSITIONS. HE CANT OPERATE WITHOUT A TELEPROMPTER AND SCRIPT. THE GOP ATTACK MACHINE IS FIERCE. OBAMA IS A WEAK CANDIDATE.

I F PELOSI CALLS SOME HILLARY SUPPORTERS UNGRACIOUS AND THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN THINKS THEY DONT NEED 18 MILLION PEOPLE..THEY ARE WRONG. OBAMA'S LOSS IN NOEVEMBER WILL BE BLAMES ON HIM, HIS BLIND SUPPORTERS, AND THE BIASED MEDIA. OBAMA GOT A FREE RIDE.

WE WONT GET THE COUNTRY BACK IF DEMOCRACY AND FUNDAMENTAL FAIRNESS HAS BEEN COMPROMISED IN THE ELECTION CAMPAIGN.

UNITE FOR CHANGE..DELEGATES NEED TO REFLECT ON THE REALITIES OF THIS CAMPAIGN..AND CHANGE THEIR SUPPORT TO HILLARY.

I AM WRITING IN HILLARY'S NAME ON THE BALLOT IN NOVEMBER.

August 14, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. Bobby, Triangle, VA

I am proud to say I am one of those two million people!!!!!! I am going to continue to support Obama's campaign financially up to the elections!!!

Go Obama!!!!!

August 14, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  18. ProudDemocrat

It is nice to see Americans are thinking right and saying not to the failed Bush/Mccain and conservative lies. It about time God bless America.

August 14, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  19. proud army and navy mom

good job Sen Obama, my son in the Navy just told me he will vote for you.

Make that two million and one!

August 14, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. Obama all the way!

I am very pround to be one of those 2 million Americans

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  21. McCain:SmallWeakCowardlyMan OffersMoreOfTheSame TearsOthersDownToBuildHimselfUp

How many times does $25 go into $2300? Ninety-two, and that means I can donate another 77 times ... and gladly to keep that maniac McCain away from the oval office and the red phone.

"The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine," Cochran said. Republican Senator Thad Cochran of Mississippi 02/27/08.

August 14, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. JB

Hillary lost because of an ineffectual campaign poorly run by terrible advisors.

STOP BLAMING OBAMA for HILLARYS MISTAKES!

August 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. Jim

Thank you to all the republicans and PUMA's that motivated me to donate again when I was having second thoughts due to the economic crunch! I'm glad I donated!

August 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  24. Dennis in IA

I am proud to be one of the 2 milion strong! I have given my $25 to help support our next POTUS! I even have my wife(republican) voting for her, she is sick and tired of the McShame/Bush reign – time for something new. I even have my 2 daughters(8 and 7) going to help at the local office and march in the parades. We are Fired Up and Ready to go!

August 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. INDEPENDANT VET

By the time it is over . He may have eneough to go back to school.

HUH. Become a BIG HollYWOOD Star with Rezeko, Wright, Hagel, Reed an Pelosi as Ring Master . What a a waste , for they would have to have another Vacation.

The Title FLOP FLOPP Journey