August 14th, 2008

Obama camp reaches two million donor mark

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/14/art.screen.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign has surpassed 2 million donors."](CNN) — Barack Obama's campaign announced Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, reaching the two million donor mark with more than two months left until Election Day.

“Today we achieved something amazing - 2,000,000 donors owning a piece of this campaign,” read a message on the campaign’s Web site. “In the face of John McCain’s low road tactics, it's more important than ever to keep our movement growing and show the power of millions of grassroots supporters coming together to work for change.”

In an e-mail to supporters Monday, campaign manager David Plouffe said he hoped a backlash from a television spot from John McCain’s campaign that painted Obama as a celebrity would help the campaign reach that mark by the party's convention at the end of August, just six months after the campaign topped one million donors.

"Two million donors is an incredible number — a number that was previously unimaginable for presidential campaigns," he wrote. "And it's a number this campaign never dreamed we could reach before the convention."

Obama surpassed one million donors in late February. As of the end of June, the most recent fundraising figures available, Obama had raised nearly $340 million for his presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Raymond Duke

I could really care less how many donors he reaches as long as he does not win the president race. I was wanting to comment on the one with Hillary Clintons name being on the roll call as long as she understood that it was just to be symbolic and that all the super delegates would have to vote for Obama. What a joke. I use to be a democrat a long time ago. Cheating and symbolic B.S. like this from the democrats is why I became a indepedent. I can vote for who I want to that I think is the most qualified and I can punish crap like this going on with the democrat party. That is the reason that all people should be independents. You don't have to be a slave to either party.

August 14, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  2. DR. YES

yaaaayyyyy!WE DID IT!!!!!!!KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ,EVERYONE!!!!WE ARE THE MAN!WE ARE THE MAN!OOOOH YA!OOOOH YA!IN YOUR FACE!

August 14, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Democrats Rule

Part of the Two Million as well. I'm fired up and he's ready to go! YES WE CAN AND YES WE DID AND YES WE WILL! This is one exciting "take back America" campaign! I have never been so involved and never had so much fun. President Obama – it is a privilege and an honor to be part of the movement!

August 14, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  4. indy

2 million? That answers the question of how many fake donor names George Soros can come up with.

August 14, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. Soldier 4 OBAMA

Yes, I am proud to say as A US ARMY Soldier, I too put my hat in the ring with OBAMA. YES WE CAN and CHANGE is around the corner. OBAMA-POWELL; OBAMA-RICHARDSON, now this is CHANGE!

August 14, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. ObamaLied.com

Too bad he is gonna lose in November! LMAO!

August 14, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. We're NOT "your friends"!!!

1 of 2,000,000 right here!

YES WE CAN and YES WE WILL!!!

OBAMA 2008 + 2012

August 14, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. james

"I want moderate repub. WH, and a majority Demo."

You're not going to get that moderate repub in the white house with Mccain. He's further out than Bush in a lot of ways....

August 14, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  9. Peter

yeah!!!

August 14, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. Peter of Oregon

My friends, Barack Obama's campaign is Of the People, For the People, and By the People.

Let me give you some straight talk... he represents the voices of the Americans, and his story is more American than any other I've heard in this generation.

August 14, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  11. curly

Obama keeps claiming huge number of donors. But where is the support in the polls. His supporters claim that young people are not reached by the pollsters. They said the same thing in 2004 about Kerry and the young vote, it didn't show up in the polls or on election day.

Something is not right here folks. He bearly beat Hillary in the popular primary vote and has a very slim lead over McCain in the polls. He brings in millions more than either Hillary or McCain in donations, from supposed vast numbers of small donations. Where is the support in the polls? The primary was actual votes, not a poll. Where was the overwhelming difference in the primary vote? Do his doners give him money but don't vote for him?

This does not add up. I smell something rotten here.

August 14, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  12. Abby

Tammie From Cleveland, you are a racist. My friends and I do not fall in that category and we donate like hell. May God soften your racist heart, my dear. The time for the likes of you is over.

August 14, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  13. justreading

Tammie did you know 99% of the McCain and PUMA supporters are racist. No I don't really believe that because I'm not that ignorant and don't relish in saying racist comments. Please I dare you to say that to a person of color naaayyy you won't because like 99% of racist bloggers your a coward.

August 14, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. ademocrat

No one graduates magna cum laude from law school.

Cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude are
    UNDERGRADUATE degree honors,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

August 14, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. Vince

Does anyone realize that 99% of his donores are black Americans
    that are on food stamps, welfare and so on. SO as a matter of fact
    my tax dollars are being donated to Obama. MAKES ME SICK
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    With comments like this you are indeed sick. In the head.

August 14, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  16. Will H.

Tammie from Cleveland, your comment is appalling. It's unfortunate that your world-view is misguided and ill-perceived. With all due respect, your opinion lacks a substantive basis, which is why you didn't support your statement with facts. Whether you hate Sen. Obama or not (clear you do), please refrain from casting dispersions on his supporters let alone perpetuate stereotypes.

August 14, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. Soldier 4 OBAMA

"Does anyone realize that 99% of his donores are black Americans
    that are on food stamps, welfare and so on. SO as a matter of fact
    my tax dollars are being donated to Obama. MAKES ME SICK>"

wrong...

We are all Soldiers and Officers in the Military, get with the Program and we all previously voted for Bush, but he like McCain say exactly waht we wanted to hear and truly did nothing. In the Army we choose leaders base on Judgement, OBAMA yes he is truly "THE ONE", at least McBush got that right, OBAMA IS THE ONE!

August 14, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Abby

Tammie From Cleveland, also, much more white people are on welfare than black.

August 14, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. john williams san diego, ca.

the Messiah has arrived and the rising star in the east is shining on Iran and all the islamic nations...your daily prayers have been answered.

August 14, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. Laura

Mike:

I agree with you...the MSM always seem to have Senator McCain as old, having senior moments, etc. and the can do no wrong Obama is shown "shooting hoops", riding bicycles, etc. Talk about biased.

I am not a McCain supporter. I'm actually rooting for Hillary and I hope she gets the nomination. Otherwise I may start looking much closer at Senator McCain.

You know what is a turn-off, it is how Obama supporters are so mean and nasty. Name calling (i.e. McSenile, McBush). That is "change we can believe in"....not in my book. I am tried of Obama supporters putting down those over 50 (baby boomer generation). Do you have any idea how many people you are insulting?

Think before you blog...

Laura, Boston, MA

August 14, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  21. Crystal

Make that 2,000,000 and 1. 🙂

August 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. Latina for Obama...NJ

Oh Tammie from cleveland...you are one ignorant person,I feel sorry for you..

OBAMA 08!!!

August 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. Wanda, elgin, texas

THIS IS FOR TAMMIE FROM CLEVELAND***YOU ARE JUST AN OLD RACIEST FOOL, SO WHAT IF 99% OF HIS DONERS ARE BLACK AND ON WALFARE, IF YOU VOTE MASHAME YOU WILL BE TOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  24. a southern bell for OBAMA

WE HAVE COME A LONG WAY, BUT WE ARE NOT

THERE YET. WE NEED TO CONTINUE TO GET ANY

ONE WE CAN TO HELP. WE CAN'T AFFORD ANOTHER

BUSH IN OFFICE. THERE WILL BE NOTHING TO SALVAGE.

WE ARE IN THE GREATEST DANGER THIS NATION HAS EVER

BIN. A CRIPPLED ECONOMY EQUATES TO A CRIPPLED NATION.

August 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  25. Vince

Tammie From Cleveland,
    Does anyone realize that 99% of his donores are black Americans
    that are on food stamps, welfare and so on. SO as a matter of fact
    my tax dollars are being donated to Obama. MAKES ME SICK>
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Fanning the embers of hate with this kind of statement would not help you. You are surely a demented individual and my fear is that one day you would have kids that would call you daddy or mommy and would look up to you for advice. You are not a good role model. You should be ashamed of yourself and all that you stand for.
    CNN let me see if you would "moderate" this

August 14, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |