August 14th, 2008

Obama camp reaches two million donor mark

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/14/art.screen.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign has surpassed 2 million donors."](CNN) — Barack Obama's campaign announced Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, reaching the two million donor mark with more than two months left until Election Day.

“Today we achieved something amazing - 2,000,000 donors owning a piece of this campaign,” read a message on the campaign’s Web site. “In the face of John McCain’s low road tactics, it's more important than ever to keep our movement growing and show the power of millions of grassroots supporters coming together to work for change.”

In an e-mail to supporters Monday, campaign manager David Plouffe said he hoped a backlash from a television spot from John McCain’s campaign that painted Obama as a celebrity would help the campaign reach that mark by the party's convention at the end of August, just six months after the campaign topped one million donors.

"Two million donors is an incredible number — a number that was previously unimaginable for presidential campaigns," he wrote. "And it's a number this campaign never dreamed we could reach before the convention."

Obama surpassed one million donors in late February. As of the end of June, the most recent fundraising figures available, Obama had raised nearly $340 million for his presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

YES WE CAN!!!!

August 14, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  2. Chips

Proud to be part of the 2 million.

August 14, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. Raymond Duke

Are you really that silly to think that Hillary Clinton would be ripped apart by the republicans more than Obama. The republicans knew that if Hillary Clinton won the nomination of the democrat party she would win by a landslide. That is the reason that republican pundits started out saying how good Obama was. The republicans played the democrats to nominate their weakest canidate. They knew that Pelosi was so jealous of Clinton that she could get her far left democrats to put the nail in her coffin along with Reed and fat Ted . Why do you think the polls are so close now. By the way you don;t really believe that the republicans don't have the goods on the "BLACK MESSIAH" do you. The 527's are going to put out the truth whether McCain likes it or not. After the conventions the fun starts.

August 14, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. Lost (maybe) in CNN Moderation

Proud of being 1 of 1 million!

Go Obama!

Obama/Biden '08

Tammie from Cleveland,

You are a sick, racist, COWARD.!

August 14, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. pb

Since the comment section of the "Hillary on the nomination roll call," is closed I am leaving my comments here.. This is outrageous what the Clintons and DNC are doing. If Clinton won the nomination, would Obama's supporters demand that his name is on the ballot? Heck, NO! This is the worst scenario of racism that I have ever experienced. BACKSTABBING, RUTHLESS and UNDERMINING. She ran a horrible campaign...she lost. How disrespectful can one be to Obama?
    I am proud to say my donations have supported Obams's campaign.
    God is with you Barack. When this roll call is over, will Hillary's "witches" be satisfied? I wonder....

August 14, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. Germaine Hanni

I can't believe my ears! How many catharsises will that bunch of hysterical, bull-headed females require to attain the age of maturity to understand the democratic process "50% plus one" means VICTORY. Can you imagine the lesson being taught to their children that if you stamp your feet and scream loud and long enough you will win your tantrum. I hope the CLINTON CLAN will be shamed in this requested "historical moment" and that the DNC will close on Aug. 28 and the election Nov. 4th will be THE HISTORICAL MOMENT for the U.S.A.and for Sen. Barack Obama.

August 14, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  7. Michael

It is exciting to be participate in history. This election cycle is a huge moment for our country.

August 14, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. Diane Panama City Fl

I am one of the proud 2 million people who gave the Senator Obama's campaign. I am a widowed, white, middle-aged woman that works hard for every dollar I earn. I make less that $35,000/year. I am not an elitst, I am not a mindless fan of Senator Obama (that designation should go to the McCainiacs who believe in the perpetuation of the Republican theory of Idiotocracy). I strongly believe in voting for my own best economic interests. I believe in protecting my right, and those of others who may come after me, to freedom of choice. So to you bloggers who make snide remarks about those of us who have hope for the future and believe in better days ahead, "Go to he!!".

August 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  9. Lost (maybe) in CNN Moderation

oops meant

1 of 2 million

August 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  10. Rob in NY

Look at where the bulk of dollars is coming from : lobbyists, corporations, etc. It doesn't matter how many itty bitty donors you have : Obama gets his campaign cash from the same places the Republicans do.

I guess that breaking your word on campaign financing has its advantages. Wonder what other promises he's willing to go back on.

I hate Bush as much as anybody, but I'm not voting for Obama just because I'm frustrated and angry at Bush.

August 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  11. james

tshirt sales are campaign contributions ? please, quit trying to minimize the fact that this campaign has the regular people on its side and they are getting ready to take back the country for us. Do you think someone wants a t-shirt that's not an Obama supporter? (unless you're one of those who would hang something in effigy)

August 14, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  12. kendall

He keeps his name in the news, ... people love talking about him, he is the exciting story
    people cant stand Obama because he is not part of the Established Institute, now there are 2,000,000 people that can raise over $130,000,000 in a month, Its a new Istitution of American people not lobbyists,

Welcome to the Future of Politics

August 14, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. Barbara from New York

Happy! Happy! and proud to be one of the million. YES WE CAN AND
    WE WILL. GOD BLESS AMERICA! GOD BLESS OBAMA GOD BLESS
    EACH AND EVERY AMERICAN.

August 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  14. Dylan in CA

I'm honored to be one of the 2 million. Couldn't really afford to give the $100 I gave, but I did anyway because I knew that it was a great investment in the future of this country.

Obama 08

August 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. Republicans for OBAMA

WE ARE LATE COMERS TO THE OBAMA CAMP.

SO WE ARE GOING TO MAKE CERTAIN EACH ONE

OF US GETS THREE OTHER PEOPLE TO JOIN IN

AND CONTRIBUTE IN THE NEXT 7 DAYS. COM ON

AMERICA, WE HAVE TO DO THIS. MOST OF US COME

FROM GENERATIONS OF REPUBLICANS & WE KNOW

OUR COUNTRY NEEDS US DESPERATELY.

REPUBLICAN, DEMOCRAT or INDEPENDENCE ,WE

CAN'T LET A GERIATRIC MENTALLY ILL BUSH GET ELECTED.

August 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. Mike, TX

I wonder what the number is if you exclude foreign citizens?

August 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  17. Why????

I had my younger son sign up to voite on yesterday. This will be his 1st Vote.

Yes We Can

O/08

August 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  18. biffington, biff

I 'AM' ONE OF THE TWO MILLION !!!!

August 14, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. marie

This military family have donated, will continue to donate and vote for President Obama.

August 14, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. Orange

Yippee !!!
    Now can we please hear about his public achievements, things that help hard working Americans ?
    Oh, is he too busy protecting criminals, demilitarizing America, late term abortion and church and state. Why did you not focus on improving security in Chicago, so parents can trust that they will not be called in the afternoon by the mortuary. Being a liberal does not mean you can lose focus of reality. Why is money going to churches, are they being held accountable for the results of this public money.
    Why are you focused on demilitarizing America, when our soldiers are dying. Late term abortion should be illegal, and this is by someone who is pro choice. We do not disagree on 10 %, the % is much, much higher.

August 14, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. Brian, Pittsburgh

Does anyone know how many donors the other guy has? What was his name?

August 14, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  22. A NATION OF WHINERS for OBAMA

PUT YOU MONEY WHERE YOUR

HEART & MIND IS, PLEASE.

August 14, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. aliou FL

I am proud of my $10 donation

August 14, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  24. jason, Texas

Yup! One of the 2 million as well. Let's get this done in November and throw the Republicans out on their ears.

August 14, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. Fed Up!

IF CLINTON TAKES THE NOMINATION AWAY FROM OBAMA, SHE WILL NOT WIN. ALOT OF KEY VOTES IN CERTAIN URBAN AREAS OF STATES SHE'LL NEED TO WIN WILL FEEL BACKSTABBED. THANKS CLINTON FOR PUTTING EGO BEFORE PARTY UNITY AND COUNTRY!

August 14, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |