August 14th, 2008

Obama camp reaches two million donor mark

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/14/art.screen.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign has surpassed 2 million donors."](CNN) — Barack Obama's campaign announced Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, reaching the two million donor mark with more than two months left until Election Day.

“Today we achieved something amazing - 2,000,000 donors owning a piece of this campaign,” read a message on the campaign’s Web site. “In the face of John McCain’s low road tactics, it's more important than ever to keep our movement growing and show the power of millions of grassroots supporters coming together to work for change.”

In an e-mail to supporters Monday, campaign manager David Plouffe said he hoped a backlash from a television spot from John McCain’s campaign that painted Obama as a celebrity would help the campaign reach that mark by the party's convention at the end of August, just six months after the campaign topped one million donors.

"Two million donors is an incredible number — a number that was previously unimaginable for presidential campaigns," he wrote. "And it's a number this campaign never dreamed we could reach before the convention."

Obama surpassed one million donors in late February. As of the end of June, the most recent fundraising figures available, Obama had raised nearly $340 million for his presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. NC Man

A movement? So now we have gone from CHANGE to a MOVEMENT ... that's scary

August 14, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. Texas Trail Dog!

HOW MANY OF THESE DONORS ARE DRAWING OUR TAX DOLLARS ON WELFARE. THAT IS A FAR MORE INTERESTING SUBJECT CNN.

August 14, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. A REGISTERED VOTER

Let's make it three million plus!!!! Go Obama.
    This may well be our last chance for a chance in this country's course and we cannot miss it...for ourselves and our children!

August 14, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. Turning the page

I hope the Republicans are NOT too arrogant to notice what's happening here – extremely bad corrupt governance will make people extremely mad. But they ain't seen nothing yet!!!

Yes We Can – proud one of 2 million, and counting!

August 14, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  5. Michael G- Ventura ca

Barack Obama is reaching AMERICA- We are inclusive rather than exclusive. He will be a great President and have the support of the vast majority of the American people!

August 14, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. Brian - Trinidad

If people can reach into their pockets and hand over $340 million to this guy knowing that there is absolutely no payback for them,then I hope the oil companies raise the price of oil to 20 dollars a gallon.

August 14, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. Clinton/McCain

Probably all from oil company executives, employees of oil companies and their spouces. I guess this long-time Democrat better start contributing to McCain's campaign before it's too late.

August 14, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. I am the Change

Yes we can!!!

August 14, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. larryh wi

Not much talk about where all of these donors are from is there! It is refreshing to know that when NObama is defeated that the majority of money donated will not have come from Americans. I wonder if he will give any of what is left to Hillary?

August 14, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  10. Duane, Wa

What happend!!!!! I thought Obama could'nt raise money!!!!!! Oh that was the Clinton and the media back in Jan

August 14, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  11. Dave

This is historic by any means...............McCain just cannot even dream about it. All his donors are fraud injecting big chunks of $2300 with someone else's account.

August 14, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. D&D

How does it feel to be part of history, to make a difference? It feels very good, isn't it?

August 14, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  13. Sacto Joe

While all those 'anonymous' internet contributors it is no wonder. What a farce and illegal finance tactic.

August 14, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  14. Corey, Maryland

I'm very proud to be one of the 2 Million that have supported this campaign. Iv already donated 5 or 6 times and plan on sending Mr. Obama a bit more after he announces his VP!

Obama Richardson 2008

August 14, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. Why????

I had my younger son sign up to vote on yesterday. This will be his 1st -Vote.

Yes We Can

O/08

August 14, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  16. Democrat

He may be getting alot of donations but regardless of what happens at the convention I am voting for Mccain unless Clinton is on the ticket.

August 14, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  17. Obama FOREVER!!

YES WE CAN...YES WE CAN...YES WE CAN.....AND WE WILL DO IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN UNTIL WE RAECH THE WHITE HOUSE.....See you sometimes McSame when you accept retirement once you hit 72..............very long year....

August 14, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  18. ANA G. LOS ANGELES. CA

Thats great!

August 14, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. Barry Soetoro

Wow...
    That's one big cult

August 14, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  20. Willow, from Iowa

I am proud to be one of those 2 million donors. I don't use credit cards. But I use a lot of those prepaid gift cards. And when the gift card gets below 10 dollars, I donate the rest to Obama's campaign. I have done this probably 10 times.

August 14, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  21. Jim

All this no experience talk is the SAME THING THEY SAID ABOUT JFK AND RONALD REAGAN!!!

August 14, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  22. Northern Michigan

Me, too! I am one of 2 million as is my first-time voting son 🙂 Do not grow weary by McCain's negativity - I am sick of nasty tactics by politicians, local or national...I think many of us are. CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!!! OBAMA 08

August 14, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  23. John

two million people donating to a political movement.

It's amazing.

... maybe I'll donate too. GO Obama – 08

August 14, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  24. Chris, Mom from IL

Also one in 2,000,000. Its refreshing to support a leader who shares my view on issues and represents the will of the people.

August 14, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |