August 14th, 2008

Obama camp reaches two million donor mark

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/14/art.screen.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign has surpassed 2 million donors."](CNN) — Barack Obama's campaign announced Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, reaching the two million donor mark with more than two months left until Election Day.

“Today we achieved something amazing - 2,000,000 donors owning a piece of this campaign,” read a message on the campaign’s Web site. “In the face of John McCain’s low road tactics, it's more important than ever to keep our movement growing and show the power of millions of grassroots supporters coming together to work for change.”

In an e-mail to supporters Monday, campaign manager David Plouffe said he hoped a backlash from a television spot from John McCain’s campaign that painted Obama as a celebrity would help the campaign reach that mark by the party's convention at the end of August, just six months after the campaign topped one million donors.

"Two million donors is an incredible number — a number that was previously unimaginable for presidential campaigns," he wrote. "And it's a number this campaign never dreamed we could reach before the convention."

Obama surpassed one million donors in late February. As of the end of June, the most recent fundraising figures available, Obama had raised nearly $340 million for his presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

make that 2million 1 (I'm donating today)

August 14, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. Keith R.

Proud to be one of 2 million people who possess wisdom.

August 14, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Slavica

I am proud to be one of 2,000.000 !
    Writing anther check right now , only $25. – that's all I can afford right now .

August 14, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

I don't think Obama can save our country from this descent down the tubes that we are on, no one man can, but under the leadership of McCain and the GOP, this country will become dust, no doubt. Its time we, as Americans, realize what century we are in and step up to the plate and stop falling for the hate and backwards thinking of the wacky right. Electing Obama is only a small start.

Obama 08 and proud!

August 14, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. keepitreal50

Tammie from Cleveland, Were do you get your information? Cracker Jack boxes?

August 14, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. Duane, Wa

Great news!!!!!! I'll be giving much more to contribute to the best cause this country has ever seen

August 14, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. james

JohnMccain=World War Three

August 14, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  8. oiled

I wonder if the people that donated multiple times know they are counted in the 2 million donor group each time. I think it should read 2 million donations not 2 million donors.

August 14, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. Sharon Kitchen

My husband and I are VERY proud to be in that number......
    Go, Obama !!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  10. karen-phoenix

landslide in November!!! Go Obama

August 14, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. Cindi

Wow. That's very amazing. He must be doing something right. 🙂 Take notes McCain!

August 14, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. Vivienne

This is amazing. I am part of history.

August 14, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  13. Ad-More

John McCain hates american products. He is opposed to buying american made products. He is opposed to american jobs and gives tax breaks to send our jobs overseas to places like his birth country PANAMA. He has lost two planes and will lose the election too. PANAMA MAC would lose our economy but he does not care cause he was born rich and married richer.

August 14, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. Pam

Why haven't HIllary's rabid supporters paid off her campaign debt for her?

August 14, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. Matt

Lensa:
    1 in every 150 Americans has donated to Obama... big deal. 1 in every 150 Americans also has Autism... it takes more than 0.67% of the vote to win...

August 14, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. Marie in California

Well, they won't reach it with my help. I strongly supported Hillary with my vote and money, but now both are going to McCain.

I wouldn't vote Obama for dog catcher, let alone president. He is totally unqualified to lead our country. Obama is totally lacking in experience, character and judgment......like a mere 143 days in the Senate, and choosing as*sociates like Wright, Rezko, Auchi, Ayers, Alinsky and more.

NOBAMA!

August 14, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  17. Robert

It is a movement alright.......just like all other cults!

August 14, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  18. SJH

"A taxpayer voting for Obama is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders"

August 14, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  19. karen-phoenix

PS; I send $10 every three weeks when I get paid and I am sooo proud to be helping get this country back on its feet. If McCain gets in we will be at war, draft and Part of the "Project for a New American Century". Global millitary control by the US per Chenney. I want no part of it and we are a broke nation, in spirit and finnacially. We need HOPE and that is what Obama is selling and I'm buying!!!! Go Obama

August 14, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. Michelle, PA

Proud to be one of those 2 million. Fight the smears!

August 14, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. Ed Olanrewaju - Virginia

Proud to be one of the two million. With more to come soon.

August 14, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. PUMA 4 HILL

So,
    Have you bots asked yourself in all honesty?

– what has he done for you and for America?? Anything significant? NOPE
    – do you have a reverand/pastor like Wright? If so, I woudn't vote for you either.
    – what speeches has he given using his own written words? For that matter, what questions has he taken unprepared and provided sound answers?
    – DUHH, did you watch any of the debates? He lost bigtime.. uninformed idiot.

So, wake up and know why you are voting for him.

August 14, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  23. Zander

Go Barack!

August 14, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. John in Ohio

I'm one of them.

Also an Iraq war vet.

"He may be getting alot of donations but regardless of what happens at the convention I am voting for Mccain unless Clinton is on the ticket."

What has Clinton done to get her on the ticket? She had no control over her campaign staff, no control over the messages her campaign was putting out, and she ran her campaign $20 million into debt.

For everybody who says they will only vote for Obama if Clinton is on the ticket, or who says that since Clinton isn't the nominee they will vote for McCain, what has Hillary Clinton done that Obama has not done that makes you want to vote for her? She was unable to run her campaign well at all, she does not have executive experience, and she really hasn't been that great of a Senator. So what qualifies her to lead?

August 14, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. BHO: Ignorance is bliss

Thanks corporate America and esp you Exxon... Keep up the good work and I will push for more Trusts in america...

August 14, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |