August 21st, 2008

ONE Campaign releases star-studded ad

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/21/art.one.campaign.voices.jpg caption="Matt Damon stars in the ONE Campaign's latest ad 'Voices'."]
(CNN)—The ONE campaign released a star-studded pre-convention ad Thursday, featuring Michelle Obama and Cindy McCain, the wives of both presumptive presidential nominees.

The 30-second spot, ‘'Voices,’ stars actor Matt Damon, who has traveled with the ONE campaign to Africa two times. As the ad progresses, Damon remains on camera, but his voice is replaced by those of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Michelle Obama, Cindy McCain, as well as average Americans.

"“Thanks to everyday Americans who chose to make a difference millions of lives have been saved in the world’s poorest countries,” Damon says. “But there’s still more to do,” Cindy McCain adds. “Please join the millions of Americans from every party,” Damon continues. “Who are coming together as ONE,” says Michelle Obama.

The nearly $2 million ad campaign emphasizes the need for the United States to be educated and involved in helping some of the world's most deprived countries.

Michelle Obama and Cindy McCain have been active supporters of the campaign's mission. In July, Mrs. McCain joined the ONE Campaign on a trip to Rwanda, visiting health clinics, and an orphanage.

The ad will hit the airwaves Sunday, August 24 on cable and entertainment channels.

Full script after the jump

ONE “VOICES” Script

MATT DAMON: Thanks to everyday Americans who chose to make a difference…

MATT DAMON (Matt Damon as Voice #1):

...millions of lives have been saved in the world’s poorest countries…

MATT DAMON (Voice #2):

41 million more children have been able to go school.

MATT DAMON (Voice #3):

3 million more people living with AIDS...

MATT DAMON (Voice #4):

...have access to lifesaving medication.

MATT DAMON (Voice #5):

3 million fewer children die each year from preventable diseases...

MATT DAMON (Cindy McCain as Voice #6):

But there’s still more to do.

MATT DAMON (Voice #7):

In this election year,

MATT DAMON (Voice #8):

...please join the millions of Americans from every party…

MATT DAMON (Mayor Bloomberg as Voice #9):

…Democrats, Republicans, Independents….

MATT DAMON: (Michelle Obama as Voice #10)

….who are coming together as ONE…

MATT DAMON: (Matt Damon as Voice #11)

We welcome your voice. Thank you.

Filed under: Cindy McCain • Michelle Obama
  1. Rudy NYC

There are not billions of US dollars flowing into African countries. There is very little flowing into those potential trading partners. The reason is that there is no oil or other product that the US leaders want to buy from those countries.

August 21, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. Pam

Why aren't celebrities as concerned about solving the problems we have here as they are about solving other coutries' problems?

August 21, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  3. Great meld.

Yeah, Chuck, and meanwhile, you're supporting a candidate who's got the extra-matrimonial instincts of Bill Clinton and the intelligence of George Bush.

I'd take liberal and socialist over that anyday. You flamers got anything better to do than spout macho BS all day?

"Oh, Obama's soooooo weak." No, he cares. Unlike John "check my wife's jugs out" McCain. You may say "no experience," but I'm the youngest admin officer in the agency where I work with the least amount of experience, and guess who gets the job done over here?

You're all just scared of new directions and ready for any rhetoric which will validate your paranoia. And frankly, I pity you.

August 21, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  4. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

It's too bad Cindy McCain didn't join on when she was first asked to, but rather after her husband became the presumptive presidential candidate. If McCain were not in the position he's in today, Cindy McCain would be nowhere near this effort!

Has Cindy released her tax statements yet?

August 21, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. mike

Wasn't it Obama who answered last week that America's biggest moral let down was that we don't share? (with a few Kennedy-esque er's, um's and ah's)
    BTW, America(n's) are the most generous people on earth-fact.
    Do some homework Barrack when you don't have a teleprompter.

August 21, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. Obama = Carter the 2nd!!!

I am for helping the world but let's help the USA 1st.

August 21, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  7. Virgo20012

We spend more money on a God forsaken war in Iraq than we do on healthcare in America. I don't hear these same Republicans crying socialism when President Bush was trying to bring "Freedom and Democracy to Iraq at the cost of Americans. I rather contribute to fighting AIDS and disease than bringing Bush's version of Democracy to Iraq and the rest of the world.

August 21, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. Bill From Florida

I knoe Cindy McCain is very involved and has traveled to other countries, but I haven't heard about Michelle Obama going anywhere.
    Is Michelle Obama involved in any of these projects now or before
    her husband started running for President.? I haven't heard of any.
    I know Cindy McCain donates alot of money to charity and is very involved.

August 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  9. Repub For McCain

Ultra Militant Hillary Supporter- Charity begins at home punk..and you My friend were at the Movies when Manners were served.*.But Head*

August 21, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  10. Sifa

Please, you guys stop it. All Americans know that, there are a lot of problems that need fixing in this country, so Praetorian, Fort Myers and all, don't blame the African conitnent if Americans decide to do something about what is going on there. Believe me when I say that, a lot of the troubles Africans are having are fueled by westen influences/involvements, so it's only fair that they fix it. Also, when people say they are doing God knows what in Africa, they need to specify which African nation is getting the help, because my native country (Congo, formerly known as zaire) is the most forgatten while, Rwanda and Sudan get all the attention and the Congo has lost more than 5MILLION LIVES, women are being raped left and right, and the world says and does nothing about it. Get all the facts before you starts talking.

Having said that, I do agree with those of you who said that we need to fix our problems here at home. From the war in Iraq, to all the activities we have our hands tied to, we can change a lot in America. Health care, schools, our economy, ect. So, hope the new gov. will focuse more on problems here ate home, before embarking billions of dollars overseas and ignore all the sufferings going in our back yards.

August 21, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  11. anonmouys

new cnn polls of polls have come out cnn did you metion that

August 21, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. aware

Cindy will make an excellent first lady! Michelle, not so much!

As to your last post; I can't stand Reid or Pelosi! They are totally out of touch with mainstream America! 🙁

August 21, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. Nom Deplume

Sorry. I will have nothing left over for charity once the Democrats are done taxing me to death. I've done the math and my taxes will go up under Obama. A lot. I guess we are "rich" in the eyes of liberals. Funny that we never got the memo (or the yacht).

Hate to say it, but the forced exaction to take care of causes I don't believe in leaves me with no desire (let alone money) to take care of others. Let Soros and Buffett do it; they say they aren't taxed enough.

“The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.” Vladimir Lenin

August 21, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. Great meld.

While I agree with you 100%, Republican for Obama, I think you should be more careful. You're about to be branded a socialist, cubby-holed, and flamed on by paranoid maniacs. You're different, and that's scary.

Prepare yourself.

August 21, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. GiroGeezer, Calif.

Andrew,

Our concern is that the lions' percentage of funding and humanitarian aid received from the increased exposure will end up the pockets of administrative bureacrats and siphoned off by corrupt dictators and tyrants of poverty stricken countries. Better to give them the 2 million dollars and see how it gets used.

August 21, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  16. steve

the funny thing is those billions flowing into other countries usually flow into countries that hate us. we just signed a 50 billion dollar bill to combat aids in africa because the leaders there tell people condoms are the devil. what a good use of our money when our government is facing a 53 trillion dollar debt thanks to socialist policies like social security and medicare.
    it's ironic that most countries that hate us are somewhere between obama and karl marx on the left of the political spectrum, and what do you know their economies are in shambles, and our capitalism they detest us so much for bleeds money back to their countries in foreign aid so they can hate us more

August 21, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  17. Great meld.

Don't worry, Nom Deplume, when McCain is prez and your taxes skyrocket, he'll make one of his 10 houses a complaint center, and then use it as a tax write-off.

Funny, I heard MANY top economists say that, if you're under $250k/year, you'll be just fine under Obama's plan. I guess those degrees they got are just decoration after all.

August 21, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  18. steve

virgo: that's wrong. the iraq war has cost i believe 700 billion so far. that sounds like a lot – but it's over what 5 years? the annual highway budget blows through 700 billion dollars in 2 years. and you can be pretty sure most of that money isn't being spent on asphalt (do you know how much asphalt 300 billion should be able to buy?)

meanwhile, our spending on "healthcare" (medicare) is the biggest culprit in the 53 trillion dollars of debt/liability our country has. medicare will bankrupt us in about 20 years. public health spending is the 2 ton gorilla in terms of contributors to our debt, nothing else comes close, not even #2 the dismal failure of social security.
    hooo rah for socialism!

August 21, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  19. Virgo20012

McCain may not tax you, but he sure we make being an American a living hell. I bet he'll pull a Bushie via read my lips "No new taxes, while lieing out of his azz. Go figure.

August 21, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  20. Sifa

Hey Bill from Florida,
    I am not sure Michelle has done the same as Cindy. Then to think about it, she is the only one taking care of their daughters for the most past the Obama has been campaigning, so I guess it may not be so easy for her to just pack up and go.

August 21, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. jimmy

WHILE AMERICA PONDERS THE PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGNS, RUSSIA , LIKE ITS PREDECESSOR IS AGAIN PROVING THE BULLY ING AGGRESSOR TO ITS NEIGHBORS. BEOFRE WORLD WAR TWO , IT INVADED FINLAND AND TOOK CHUNKS OF TERRITORY, RUSSIA'S EXCUSE? FINLAND STARTED THE WAR!!! NOW RUSSIA , THE NEXT MOST POWERFUL NATION ON THE PLANET BLAMES GEORGIA AS THE ONE WHO STARTED THE FIGHTING ,HA. !!! RUSSIA'S GENERALS DRESSED IN ALL THEIR FINERY ARE TALKING UP THE PROPAGANDA AGAINST GEORGIA, A LITTLE COUNTRY WHICH TRIED TO PREVENT A DISSIDENT UPRISING IN ONE OF ITS OWN PROVINCES. RUSSIA SWOOPS DOWN WITH OVERWHELMING FORCES INTO HAPLES GEORGIA.
    AND RUSSIA SIGNA S CEASE FIRE AND PROMISES TO LEAVE THE
    COUNTRY OF GEORGIA , BUT NOT BEFORE INFLICTING AND SCORCHING, LOOTING AND KILLING THE COUNTRY.
    TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY , RUSSIA SENDS WHAT IT CALLS "STERN WARNING TO POLAND BECAUSE IT SIGNED A MISSILE DEFENCE TREATY WITH THE U.S.A .. THEY HAVE THE GALL TO WARN POLAND WHICH THEY ALSO INVADED IN WWII.
    EUROPEAN NATIONS AND AMERICA SHOULD DECLARE ONCE AND FOR ALL THEIR SOLID UNITY AGAINST RUSSIAN AGGRESSION AND NUCLEAR THREATS.. AMERICA CANNOT STAND ALONE AND NATO CANNOT AFFORD TO BE INTIMIDATED
    AND BE DIVIDED BY RUSSIAN BLUSTER AND THREATS.
    NATO AND AMERICA ARE MORE THAN A MATCH FOR RUSSIAN AGGRESSION EVEN IF IT CAM TO NUCLEAR CONFRONTATIION.
    REMEMBER JOHN F. KENNEDY. HE CONFRONTED RUSSIA AND DID NOT SHIRK HIS DUTY AND FORM HIS RESOLVE TO STOP RUSSIAN AGGRESSIVE ACTS IN THE CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS.

August 21, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  22. Time for Change

As an american, I am self absorbed. I'm all fine and dandy helping other countries...but only AFTER anyone in our country suffering is helped FIRST. To what degree does an american have to suffer before we say 'help our own first". I don't call it a decision. My sister is dying vs my next door neighbor is dying...I have one kidney I can give: Guess who gets it?

As such, you can either say It's being "self absorbed", or you can say it's called being patriotic.

August 21, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  23. steve

reminds me of the "buy red" AD campaign that last i heard, GAP spent 20 million dollars advertising and only resulted in like 2 million of money for charity.

August 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  24. Mike - Texas

I'm guessing that they are following Obama's lead with his idea to go along with the UN and to tax all Americans for redistribution by the UN to the poor.

But of course, the UN officials will have to get their cut first.

August 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  25. Principal Max Anderson

steve, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

August 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |