August 21st, 2008

VP tracking: Obama, Kaine meet

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/21/art.obamakaine.ap.jpg caption="Obama and Kaine met privately Thursday."]

(CNN) - For those in the business of examining each of Barack Obama's moves for a potential hint of who will be named the Democratic VP, buzz circulated after the Illinois senator held a private meeting with Virginia Governor Tim Kaine and his staff Thursday morning.

Watch: Ed Henry on the Obama VP pick

Both men were mum on what was discussed, and Kaine - considered to be among those at the top of Obama's VP shortlist - wouldn't comment on whether he was offered the coveted position.

"I'm going to let the campaign speak for the campaign," Kaine said, and later refused to indicate whether he had been ruled out for the position. "He visited with my staff just to basically say hi to them and thank them for all their hard work."

Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the presumptive Democratic nominee also took a photo with Kaine's staff before the two headed to a campaign event in Chester, Virginia.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. California Voter

Double ugh!

Obama/Clinton or NOOBAMA

August 21, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. Lisa

Obama is not that dumb to pick him as Vice President. At this point he knows he has to pick Hillary or his toast!!!

He's just saying his goodbyes!!!

August 21, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  3. NoMcSame

ABC and I stand by that. I don't care who Obama takes as Vice as long as it is not Billary. Billary is helping McSame and we will all see the kind of low life person she really is. By the way Scranton is one of Americas top DYING cities so I would like to send Billary back there. Maybe after Obama wins he can have the town build windmills so that the windbag Billary can provide the power for the city.
    McSame will draft your kids to send them off to DIE people. Check your vote.

August 21, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  4. OBSERVERING

W O N D E R F U L--J U S T -–A S --M C C A I N-–S A Y S--

P O L I T I C S-–A B O V E-–C O U N T R Y--B I D E N--

E X P E R I E N C E--N E E D E D--C H O O S E S--N O N--

E X P E R I E N C E D-–N O --A C C O M P L I S H M E N T-M A T E

August 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  5. Down with the DNC

What's up with Kaine's hair? LOL.

Face it folks – look at the polls and listen to the people. Obama's pride is going to cost him (and us) in November. By refusing to acknowledge Clinton and her supporters he's handing McCain the White House. By asking her to be VP he could have solidified his presidency. Maybe this guy isn't as smart as I thought.

Like Clinton or not – it's reality. Spewing hate towards her only makes it worse with the PUMA's. If she were the nominee she'd have him as VP already. Arrogance at it's worst.

August 21, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  6. Used to be a repuglican

Anyone but hillary! I used to be a repuglican and crossed over when hillary finally dropped out to support the best man in this race, Obama but i cannot support him if he chooses hillary.

August 21, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  7. Eddie Blake

To words: SHARIA LAW

Why aren't you libs more afraid of this? It could be the end,

August 21, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  8. Unify

Kaine seems well grounded. McCain is not living in this reality – on the other hand. He doesn't know how many houses he owns?? Give me a break! McCain's Mansions on youtube gives more of an insight.

August 21, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  9. Down with the DNC

NoMcSame: Why don't you just shut up. People like you have destroyed the party. Hillary is not McCain. Obama's position is Hillary's position.

I say it again..just SHUT UP. I'm tired of hearing it.

August 21, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. texas DEM

a vote for John Mccain is a vote for...

SENATOR HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT 2012!!!!!!!!!!

August 21, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  11. Open Your 3rd Eye

TO THE MCCAIN SUPPORTERS:

FOOLED YOU ONCE SHAME ON THEM.
    FOOLED YOU TWICE SHAME ON YOU.

IF THEY FOOL YOU 3 TIMES YOU ARE SIMPLY A DUMBA__ !

WHAT WILL IT TAKE AMERICA? HOW LONG WILL YOU LET THEM CONTROL YOUR FREEDOM?

IF YOU ARE DUPED AGAIN, I GIVE UP. I WILL TAKE MY DAUGHTER AND LEAVE HERE FOR GOOD – PERIOD

August 21, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Mcwar continues to play the POW card!

This is no different than playing the race card!

Poor me I am Black, and because I am Black you can’t say certain things about me!

McWar: Poor me I was a POW and because I was a POW you can’t say certain things about me!

Yes and you might say McCain was tortured and beaten!

Ok then how many Black people were tortured and beaten, not only that how many were burned and hanged!

August 21, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. Can we please elect an intelligent person !

looking for clues and more clues. Patience you will all know soon enough. To all the haters slamming each other...... it's a waste of energy. Try to say good things about what you want instead.
    My wish is for people to look at the big picture rather than do a bitter vote for (Mc duh I forget). Try to be nice , ok kiddies ?

I am wondering since this is a partialy positive message..... did my chances of CNN posting this just lessen?

August 21, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  14. Thomas, Illinois

Can someone tell me why that statement the McCain said yesterday, about bring back the DRAFT isn't on EVERY news out-let in the world? Come on CNN, get a back-bone...

August 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  15. carlo

I hope that all of the Clintonites out there who are bitter over her loss consider that our memories are better than yours, and if she even thinks about running in 2012, you won't get our votes either. Count on it.

August 21, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  16. Obama in NC

Obama is smart enough to realize he has to pick Clinton. Many of her supporters are racist, but the ones who are not he would like to have. Im awaiting my text message.

August 21, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  17. Veterans for Obama and Ex-Republicans for Obama!

Obama/Schweitzer 08/12

I'm calling it the ticket for the white house now.

August 21, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Shari, NY

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country. Remember that phrase? Take a look at your personal circumstances and if you are satisifed or dissatisfied, then choose the candidate who in your heart would best suit your needs. Regardless of who is elected, get behind your congressional leaders to make sure pertinent issues are properly addressed.

August 21, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. JP

No matter what Obama says about his ability for superior judgments, he just doesn’t have the experience for this job, especially when it comes to Foreign policy issues, issues related to National security and so on. So he better pick some experienced person for the VP.

For every new situation, he has to look left and right, and depend heavily on advisors to figure out what really happened, and to come up with the superior judgment.

August 21, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  20. CM

Hillary could add some balance to this ticket and guarantee a win. I don't doubt Obama would win without her but it'll be a closer race.

He's the first black candidate with a majority of voters who lived during the Jim Crow days. I hate to bring up race but don't you think that has some bearing?

August 21, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  21. Jordan - San Marcos TX

Eddie if you are actually afraid that the Democrats are going to allow sharia law to be the law of the land in the U.S. then you have serious psychological problems. Is this the level of fear that the GOP is stooping to next?

August 21, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  22. Lisa

To Obama supporters:

Choose one Hillary or Mccain?

August 21, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  23. Scott L

I am getting concerned it will be Clinton. That will be bad news for my MAN MCCAIN!

August 21, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  24. Marge

California Voter August 21st, 2008 12:04 pm ET

Double ugh!

Obama/Clinton or NOOBAMA

______________________________________________________

IT'S NOT GOIING TO BE HILLARY!!!! GET OVER IT!!!!
    ____________________________________________________
    Lisa August 21st, 2008 12:05 pm ET

He's just saying his goodbyes!!!
    ______________________________________________________
    You seem to be confused......It's Hillary that's 'toast". Remember??? She lost the primary's!!!!!
    Stop building up your hopes for something that's not going to happen!!! wasn't her losing disappointment enough??? Why set yourself up for another disappointment????

August 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  25. john williams san diego, ca.

would you put these two clowns in a position to defend this country???over their heads in every way. Russia and Iran will have them stammering and shuddering in their boots because the teleprompters would have no answers.

August 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |