August 21st, 2008

VP tracking: Obama, Kaine meet

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/21/art.obamakaine.ap.jpg caption="Obama and Kaine met privately Thursday."]

(CNN) - For those in the business of examining each of Barack Obama's moves for a potential hint of who will be named the Democratic VP, buzz circulated after the Illinois senator held a private meeting with Virginia Governor Tim Kaine and his staff Thursday morning.

Watch: Ed Henry on the Obama VP pick

Both men were mum on what was discussed, and Kaine - considered to be among those at the top of Obama's VP shortlist - wouldn't comment on whether he was offered the coveted position.

"I'm going to let the campaign speak for the campaign," Kaine said, and later refused to indicate whether he had been ruled out for the position. "He visited with my staff just to basically say hi to them and thank them for all their hard work."

Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the presumptive Democratic nominee also took a photo with Kaine's staff before the two headed to a campaign event in Chester, Virginia.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. Puck

Kaine isn't the guy. So you can stop speculating.

August 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  2. Politic-ed Out

Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg (sp)?! Now she's new. That would be awesome! Would definitely generate some excitement. Yeah!

August 21, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  3. Puck

Debby:

Who says he won't pick Hillary?
    I'd save your complaints until
    AFTER he doesn't pick her.

Unless, of course, your coven
    has a crystal ball I don't know
    about.

August 21, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  4. Turnabout is Fair Play

No, he won't pick Hillary or Kaine. He's going to surprise all of you with a good VP pick and he WILL get a nice bump from it. I dont' care what polls say, the polls were up for Hillary and we all see how wrong that turned out to be more often than they were right. When the polls swing the other way next week, all of you hating on him and calling him desperate will suddenly fall silent..watch what I'm telling you.

August 21, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  5. Tammy - KCMO

PUMAs you need to get over yourselves. He has just as much to lose as gain by picking Hillary. I'm sure I'm not the only one that hasn't donated to his campaign yet. I am waiting to see who he picks for VP. If it IS Hillary – no donations. She has done nothing to earn my support. Her efforts on Obama's behalf have been so small she may as well be doing nothing at all – which is exactly what her hubby Bill has done – Nothing! I'm sick of the Clintons and I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling. Anyone will be a better choice than her.

August 21, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  6. Gerry

Obama is going to make a great President. He's show casing is people skills in visiting with each of the contenders and letting them know who he picked and why he picked them.

That people management builds stong teams, something McCain has no idea on how to do.

August 21, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  7. ObamaAllTheWay

Obama will pick kaine for this V.P and those two will go straight to the white house and clean the mess Bush left. Just like what Bill Clinton did after the old Bush. It sad people keep voting the BUSH's to mess up this country and look for some one else to clean up after them, why can't this country vote the right person in the first place, reminder to those who can not think for themseves Mccain = Bush.

August 21, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  8. The Slayer

Eddie Blake, I hope your worst nightmare comes true

August 21, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  9. Mike, TX

Headline:

DUMB AND DUMBER HOLD PRIVATE MEETING.

August 21, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  10. anonymous

Open your 3rd eye – better start packing cause your boy (and I mean boy) is going down!

Go McCain!!!

August 21, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  11. tedious898

Hillary supporters, PUMAs, Notfallinginline, closet republicans....whatever the losing category.

How come Barack needs to pick Hillary for VP? You guys hate Barack so much, why would you want him as your president? Ok...don't answer that because the response as ridiculous as your threats to vote for McCain.

Let's say this....Support Barack this time or Hillary has not shot ever. Do u think all Obama's supporters will support Hillary should he lose this year? Try us and see...i.e. put a gun to your own head.

August 21, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  12. Marge

OBSERVERING August 21st, 2008 12:06 pm ET

W O N D E R F U L—-J U S T —–A S —-M C C A I N—–S A Y S——

P O L I T I C S—–A B O V E—–C O U N T R Y—-B I D E N——

E X P E R I E N C E——N E E D E D——C H O O S E S——N O N—-

E X P E R I E N C E D—–N O —-A C C O M P L I S H M E N T—M A T E
    ____________________________________________________
    JUST__ AS__ EVERYBODY__ SAYS___
    3RD_TERM__FOR___ GEORGE BUSH
    SOUND__JUDGEMENT__NEEDED____
    MCCAIN___IS___SENILE

August 21, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  13. Jeremy

Why are Clinton's supporters so bitter as to not vote for Obama just because he beat that devisive, power hungry woman? Just helping the Republicans gain ground on Obama .. you guys make me sick.

And for the last time, Obama is not a muslim masquerading as a Christian, I don't even see why thats an issue if your usually a democrat. Hatemongerers.

Obama/Kaine 08

August 21, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  14. Turnabout is Fair Play

texas DEM August 21st, 2008 12:11 pm ET

a vote for John Mccain is a vote for…

SENATOR HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT 2012!!!!!!!!!!
    -------------------------------

Yeeeah, you keep telling yourself that lie paid Repugnican troll. Like we won't do to her what you and your maggots keep threatening to do to Obama now..that's a hoot.

August 21, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  15. McHomes

There are tons of people in the country who have 10 homes, but I bet you they all know how many they have. John does as well, he just can't say it. You see, the focus has to stay on Barack in order for him to win. So the Straight Talk Express has to detour when the discussion doesn't follow the Karl Rove Dirty Politics Route. So he wants us to keep looking at Barack, and not notice the man in the 600 dollar shoes, who left his wife, Carol and 3 minors to be with his mistress, and doesn't own up to how many homes he owns, standing behind the curtain.

Did I mention he's just itching to send your sons and daughters to war, any war will do.

August 21, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  16. austin

McCain is going to win

Obama/Clinton or NOOBAMA.

August 21, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  17. anonymous

MIGHT KNOW OBAMA IS GOING TO PICK ANOTHER LOSER. BIRDS OF A FEATHER STICK TOGETHER.

August 21, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  18. Realistic

I won't vote for Obama even if he picks Hillary. This candidate is fatally flawed and should be sent packing come November.

August 21, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  19. Staghelm-Horde

It should be Hillary, if its not I'm not voting for Obama

August 21, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  20. Antonio in Los Angeles

It is so interesting to me to following his career and compare it to what I’ve seen and heard throughout my political career. I’ve worked in politics for the last 13 years. The most common complaint I hear among Republicans and Democrats at all levels of government is that people want someone new and untainted by the “system.” Someone unspoiled with a fresh approach toward public service, and with the start from of a community base. We have that person in our sites and all some people can do – it seems – is focus on the same criteria that gave us the same results we have now. We all have a chance to elect the very kind of person we’ve been longing for – for generations. I pray that we keep our principles.

August 21, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  21. Hispanic For McCain

If Obama pick Hillary for VP it will piss off the Hispanic Community. The Hispanic community are all going to McCain bank on that. Just look at the polls Latinos are now going to McCain. It look like Obama might win 10 States or less. MN, WI, MI, NJ, NH, CT,and maybe NY that is Seven blue states going RED this time!!!!!!

Hispanic for McCain 2008

August 21, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  22. Mike P

I'm telling you, it's Hilliary!!
    Who would like to make a wager on this? I may not own 5 houses, but I'll bet you McCain's that's it's Hillary.
    And when she does get the nod, all you nuts better not come up with another reason not to vote for Obama. Cause if you do, then we'll really know who the racist are in these blogs.

August 21, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  23. Texas Democrat for Life

I trust Obama's judgement completely. So, I don't care who he picks, he will be the next president.

Obama/ ?? '08/12

August 21, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  24. Elaine

Quite frankly, I don't think it's any of the top 3.

August 21, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  25. Robert

I trust Obama on who ever he chooses as a running mate. He is the really the only one that this country needs that has the judgement, and intelligent and is capable to straighten out the mess we are.,,bad Economy, bad War, bad relationship with other countries, Energy dependance on unfriendly countries and the list goes on and on.

August 21, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |