August 22nd, 2008

Disclosure reports show Clinton still deeply in debt

Clinton is still carrying a sizeable campaign debt.

Clinton is still carrying a sizeable campaign debt.

(CNN) - Well over two months have passed since Hillary Clinton formally abandoned her White House bid, but newly-released Federal Election Commission reports show the New York senator has made little headway in paying off her sizeable campaign debt.

According to an FEC report filed Wednesday, Clinton's debt as of the end of July stood at just under $24 million - a decrease of only $1.2 million since the end of June. More than $13 million of that total is owed to the New York senator herself, while close to $11 million is owed to individual vendors. Clinton has suggested she is not seeking to pay back the money she owes herself.

The report also shows Clinton was only able to raise $2 million in the month of July - down from close to $3 million in June. By comparison, Barack Obama raised over $50 million for his White House bid in the same time period.

The report comes as some high-profile Clinton backers have expressed disappointment Obama has not made more of an effort to help his onetime rival retire her campaign debt.

“He has provided her with a pittance compared to what the Clintons have given Obama,” prominent Clinton backer Lynn Forrester told the Times of London. “Her debt could have been cleared within 10 days. It’s ungracious.”

Obama and Clinton have appeared at a handful of joint fundraising events, and the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee has publicly urged his supporters to donate to his former primary season rival - though at a joint appearance with Clinton at a July fundraiser, the Illinois senator forgot to call on his backers to contribute to her. (He later went back on stage to correct himself.)

According to Clinton's disclosure forms filed Thursday, she owes the most ($5.2 million) to her former top advisor Mark Penn's polling/political consulting firm, Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates.

1. H

WAIT! As I recall her wonderfull faithfull husband is always bragging about all his money. He should pay it. Problem solved.

August 22, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  2. Teresa

Tough call...I still believe Hillary is the better candidate, but this is the first year that I have contributed because I believed she was the choice. Should I continue to contribute when I am so disheartened buty a screwed up system? The DNC and Obama supporters are shameful and a disgrace to the USA. Sorry I don't want to participate anymore for anyone. An yes when the DNC sent me the "Please contribute mailer" I sent it back (with all the crap) on their stamp wasting the Obama supporters money. No I am not bitter just disenfranchised.

August 22, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  3. Jeff

Obama's out for himself – doesn't everyone get this by now? Maybe Obama will have some time to help after McCain is elected.

August 22, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  4. Deb, Allentown, PA

Once again I'm lost in moderation.

This is exactly why Hillary can not come out of the convention as the nominee. Her campaign finance difficulties will be a prime target for the Republicans. No matter how much the PUMAs may want her, it's not realistic to think she could beat McCain with this mismanagement on her resume.

And PUMAs (real PUMAs, not Republicans pretending to be PUMAs), I have, on this forum, beseeched you to not vote for McCain as he will set women's rights back 100 years. His agreement that we may need a draft should scare you all beyond belief. These are our children's lives you're playing with.

PLEASE.

August 22, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  5. andrew s. rostolder hillsdale nj

she couldn't even manage a tiny budget like a campaign. can you imagine what hillbill would do with our money. "i know, start chelsea's campaign fund. america, neva take ur eye off the clintons

August 22, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  6. joe

Perhaps Bill can start speaking more and pay off the debt. Speaking of which, I owe $400,000 in a mortgage. Would America be willing to pay off my debt?

See Hillary supporters, she was always a bad choice. No responsibility..

August 22, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  7. Helen

HILLARY HAS BROUGHT THIS UPON HERSELF.

SHE STAYED AT THE PARTY MUCH TOO LONG.

IN REFERENCE TO HER HELPING BARACK OBAMA...SHE IS SAVING FACE WITH THE PARTY SO SHE CAN RUN AGAIN LATER. SHE AND BILL HAVE NOT DONE AS MUCH AS THEY COULD HAVE.

PLUS HAVE WE FORGOTTEN SHE IS PERMITTING HER NAME AT THE DNC NOMINATION THIS WEEKEND. HILLARY IS AWAITING BARACK'S BOTTOM TOO FALL OUT...PRAYERFULLY THAT WON'T HAPPEN.

SEN. BARACK OBAMA ....OUR NEXT PRESIDENT. 08'

August 22, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  8. clarence jonesville

Its not Sen.Obama responsibility to clear her debt.She made it when there was no win in sight for her.If she had not been so determine to make things hard for Sen. Obama she would never would have made it.Since she have all of these diehard supporters why not help her.But you have proven that you are not that much of a supporter that you cant send 2 dollars a piece to clear it,so you supposely diehard fans would rather whin, so do a good thing and send Sen. Obama a sizable donation.

August 22, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  9. Hello!!!

Would you just leave her alone.....thought BO's big thing was HE DIDN'T NEED HER......good luck in Nov....dems will need it.
    If he doesn't pick her for VP by tomorrow, I'm signing up at JohnMcCain.com to give him my support.

AJ.... he's not even trying to help her. Yet you will be the first to blame her when he loses in Nov.

August 22, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  10. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

Yeah? Well, I'm broke too, but at least I had the sense not to get in way over my head!

August 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  11. Gene Lindquist

HRC is in dent, how shocking. If the campaign would have conceded a little earlier, instead of tearing the party apart , maybe it debt would be less. But the HRC ego would not allow that, and I truly believe she is spending every waking moment waiting for something to happen to Obama; remember the "what happened to Booby" remarks.

HRC is worried about her campaign debt, yet she is hiring her own production company for her "speech" at he convention.

Sore loser,
    Not a team player,
    Liar,
    Can not be trusted.

When will her and her husband just go away.

August 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  12. cc for obama

She spent money she didn't have fighting a lost cause knowing there was no way she could win the nomination, and she expects other people to send in money to retire her debt??? Her family is worth $109 million, A LOT more than my family, and I'm suppose to send money to help her! Guess what, with the cost of everything going up in New York State, most of us are in debt, and we don't have the luxury of begging people for money. I for one can't wait until her term is up as a NY Senator, hopefully people will see how little she's done to help our economy, and will not re-elect her.

August 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  13. kisha

Considering that Mark Penn was partly responsible for sinking Clinton’s campaign, I don’t think he should get a dime. That being said, we’re only talking about $4.8 ($23 total – $13 Clinton – $5.2 Mark Penn = $4.8) million owed to individual vendors. If she sends out a fundraising request along these lines, she may have more success retiring this debt. I think people are overwhelmed by the idea of helping to retire $23 million. As loyal as her supporters claim to be, many of them are still average American people who don’t want to be taken advantage of.

Further, I’m saddened that her supporters are abandoning her during her time of need. I don’t care how you feel about the Hillary Clinton – there is no denying that she is a fierce competitor. She worked tirelessly for nearly 2 years on behalf of her supporters. One would think that they would be willing to work just as hard for her over the course of 2 weeks. It’s a sad day in America when people become so caught up in hating the other side that they fail to take care of “home”. Shame on you, Clinton supporters!

August 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  14. Del

I am a Obama supporter who has given $25.00 dollars twice to Hillary. I did this because of her actions toward helping him has put her in a different light for me. This new view has made me consider voting for her in the future. I will continue to watch what her actions are toward helping Obama to decide what my future actions will be toward helping or voting for her.

August 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  15. Gene Lindquist

sorry thats debt not dent in the first sentence

August 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  16. Hello!!!

Poster....I believe 20 mill has to go for the general election?????????

August 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  17. Bulldog

Hillary should have dropped out earlier. There is nobody to blame except herself. She didn't have the money but still spent millions on smearing Obama after it was pretty clear she wasn't going to win. No wonder Bill is so bitter still. Their credit is going to go down the tubes when they can't pay all of those vendors.

August 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  18. Susan from New York

As a woman I'm willing to give up my womans right and will vote for McCain. I have that right, dont I?

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  19. Drew

Why is it even "tradition" for ANY party's presumptive nominee to help another candidate pay off campaign debt? How does that make sense?

If you're going to run for any political office, it's your responsibility to get your debts paid. Period.

As someone else above put it so eloquently, why should I, or anyone else for that matter, even bother to help someone retire political debt for a failed run? Oh, right. It's not my responsibility.

There you go.

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  20. stacy

He paid somewhere near 12 million to clear Bill Richardson's
    campaign debt...

August 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  21. Jim

How can Hillary expect this illegitimate son of a Kenyan goat herder to help retire her campaign debt when he won't even help out his half brother living in a tin shed on a dollar a day in some Kenyan slum?

August 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  22. Charlotte

I donated and hope to win that trip to Denver. I would love to stand next to her. I will write her name on my ballot and sleep like a baby knowing I did what I feel would be the best choice, for America.

August 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  23. SJ

Let's stop asking PUMAs to pay off her debt guys... last time I saw a picture of their rally... they had an attendance of 7 people. There is no such thing as a PUMA movement...it's all hype.

August 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  24. Az

Considering so many of the Clinton loyalists are threatening to vote Republican, it would seem that Clinton has gotten Obama very little. The only concrete support he's recieved is the legacy of Bill Clinton's presidency

August 22, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  25. JW

Sorry but should have spent your money in a more appropriate manner.

August 22, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |