August 22nd, 2008

Disclosure reports show Clinton still deeply in debt

Clinton is still carrying a sizeable campaign debt.

Clinton is still carrying a sizeable campaign debt.

(CNN) - Well over two months have passed since Hillary Clinton formally abandoned her White House bid, but newly-released Federal Election Commission reports show the New York senator has made little headway in paying off her sizeable campaign debt.

According to an FEC report filed Wednesday, Clinton's debt as of the end of July stood at just under $24 million - a decrease of only $1.2 million since the end of June. More than $13 million of that total is owed to the New York senator herself, while close to $11 million is owed to individual vendors. Clinton has suggested she is not seeking to pay back the money she owes herself.

The report also shows Clinton was only able to raise $2 million in the month of July - down from close to $3 million in June. By comparison, Barack Obama raised over $50 million for his White House bid in the same time period.

The report comes as some high-profile Clinton backers have expressed disappointment Obama has not made more of an effort to help his onetime rival retire her campaign debt.

“He has provided her with a pittance compared to what the Clintons have given Obama,” prominent Clinton backer Lynn Forrester told the Times of London. “Her debt could have been cleared within 10 days. It’s ungracious.”

Obama and Clinton have appeared at a handful of joint fundraising events, and the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee has publicly urged his supporters to donate to his former primary season rival - though at a joint appearance with Clinton at a July fundraiser, the Illinois senator forgot to call on his backers to contribute to her. (He later went back on stage to correct himself.)

According to Clinton's disclosure forms filed Thursday, she owes the most ($5.2 million) to her former top advisor Mark Penn's polling/political consulting firm, Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates.

1. WI Voter

I'll send a dollar to Hillary Clinton when she sends me a cut of her next book deal to pay down my mortgage. Dig yourself into ridiculous amounts of debt and then pout that no one will pay your bills for you? Is that one of the "solutions for America" she was talking about?

August 22, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  2. ben

HRC, you have the means to pay your bills. Why not just pay your bills, make your speech next week and then go somewhere and sit down.
    Enough is enough.

August 22, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. Dr J ATX

Typical Democrat, run up the bill, want someone else pay for it. I hope she has to pay HER DEBT HERSELF with the $ 100 million she and Bill have made since they left the White House.

It is the vendors who are going to be screwed. She will not pay her bills 100 %, even though she got 100 % of the product she ordered from the vendors.

Stupid Vendors, should have gotten you money up front.

NObama either!

August 22, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. Ray M.

I don't think it would hurt Obama to make the effort to pay off her debts. However, I don't think he is required to.

On top of that, consider how insulting it is from Obama's side. When it was clear she had no chance of winning, instead of doing the right thing and opting to drop out, she stayed to the bitter end doing everything she could to tarnish Obama (this speaks a lot more about her personal goals than anything else.)

Meanwhile, look at how much Clinton is getting at the convention...as the loser.

Yes, I think it would be the kind and right thing for him to do for her, but it's not like she's been doing or has done anything kind or right for him.

Heck, from my own perspective, I've been labeled a sexist for not supporting her. How does that make me feel? I started out this election thinking this was Clinton's to own, but then she ran a campaign of outright superiority, went totally negative, turned about face on her general conduct, and those outrageous comments from Bill Clinton. There are reasons why I was turned off from supporting her, but rather than addressing those, I've just been labeled an ignorant, sexist pig. Just personally, I don't feel particularly behooved unto the Clintons these days...

August 22, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. La Raza

PUMA and Hillary supporters do not exist.

August 22, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  6. scot

Deborah, if you (and your fellow disenchanted Dems), want to throw away your vote... why not vote Libertarian, or Green Party? Why put it behind someone who will tear down the country even more in the next 4 yrs? Those of you Dems willing to vote McCain, are banking on the fact that a) she would run in '12 and b) that there would be any reason to run...

August 22, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  7. Dr J ATX

I hope she gets the message, no more CLINTONS , ever!

August 22, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  8. Val, Atlanta, Ga

DEBORAH, don't be a follower be a leader, I can not believe that ANY woman would belittle herself and vote for a man like that, do you really care about Sen Clinton more that you care about yourself and your rights as a woman. Or just behonest with yourself is it Sen Obama is a BLACK man, and you are using his 20 year relationship with his pastor as a comforting excuse. I don't see you using Sen Clinton years of public embarrasment and abuse by staying in a marriage, or is that one acceptable. Do your home work google all you can about Sen McCain and then ask yourself is it worth it.

August 22, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  9. Moderates Unite

someone call a wahhhhhmbulance!

I guess her husband is gonna have to start hitting the public speaking trail hard....at the usual rate of $250,000 per appearance he can have it paid off in no time

August 22, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  10. Mike

Life Long Republican here voting for Obama.

McCain is just as bad for our economy than Clinton is. This is why I haven't given her any money, why add to her ego? It was her choice to stay in the election, when she could have dropped out.

August 22, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  11. A CANUCK

Why don't hillary's LOYALL SUPPORTERS each kick in a dollar and we won't have to hear about the POOR MILLIONAIRE and her huge debt...caused by her EGO and refusing to admit most people can't stand the Clintons !!!

August 22, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  12. Independent voting against Obama

With candidates like Obama, you don’t even have to like McCain to vote for him.

Obama wants to tax every man woman and child in the U.S. to pay $2500 to the united nations to end poverty world wide calling it the Global Poverty Act? He lives in a million dollar mansion while his half brother lives on $1 a month in Kenya.

August 22, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. Hillary supporters = GROW UP

I think this whole disconnection with the Dem Party is partially Hillary's fault for making her supporters think she actually had a chance to win.
    Apparently, the math was never in her favor, no matter how much you sliced it. Even if the DNC gave Hillary all of FL & MI she still wouldn't be able to beat Obama. And that is the FACT that many people forget to understand.

Hillary never had a chance after she loss NC and barely loss IN. Obama won the election fairly and I think its a disgrace to this country to see people tear up the democractic party because people have their own political and social agendas. These so-called Hillary groups have never put one dime into her campaign debt. I think the 18 million voter thing is a sham because most of those 18 million votes are going to Obama in the Fall anyway.

My point, GROW UP !

August 22, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  14. Dan in Texas

Don't you get it. She doesn't care! She and hubby have the money, but they don't care and they're cheap. they'll find someone else to pay for it.
    But don't you liberals worry, they'll be back. Cockroaches are incredibly hard to eradicate.

August 22, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. Roslyn in Canada

To all 18 million Hillary supporters....Pay up or shut up !!!. If you love your candidate so much, $2.00 each is nothing for you to contribute to help her. Stop waiting on Obama supporters to do so when she fought him a nasty campaign and is still undermining him.

August 22, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. John in Ohio

"Obama would be a fool not to have Hillary as his V.P."

Explain.

"That is the only way he can be sure of winning"

How so?

"So, when his announcement is made , then we will know the outcome . It will be Hillary for V.P. or no Obama for President"

Why? What exactly, about Hillary Clinton, makes or breaks it for you?

August 22, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  17. Wil Welsh

Lynn Forrester's comments about Ungraciousness are simply upside-down. Shame on CNN for giving a voice to people who blatantly spin in favor of their benefactors, despite the truth not being in their favor.

HIllary Clinton decided to stay in the race after it was clearly won to the layperson and she ratcheted up her debt like a sore looser looking to make a parting shot on her way down. Had she not wasted around $10M in spending on the last 2 weeks of her campaign she would not be in the position she is in. I suspect that had she bowed out when the public viewed her as having already lost, and acted a little more mature (without the crying tantrums race baiting, and the lowest of all, sending out her husband as a surrogate verbal hitman) then her contemporaries, and her opponents supporters people would be more willing to retire her debts for her.

Lynn Forrester's complaints reinforce the failed "I'm Entitled" theme of Hillary's campaign. I don't know about you, but when I hear stuff that can be paraphrased as "I'm entitled" or "Its my turn", and compare it to "Yes We Can"... The choice is clear.

August 22, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  18. mama4obama

I personally do not feel that Hillary has exactly been out there to help Obama close this thing up. I have no problem helping her pay off her debt when I know for sure that the tricks have all been played. I just dont trust her or what her cronies will do at the convention.

August 22, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  19. Anthony, Dallas, Tx

FOR EVERYBODY SAYING OBAMA NEEDS HER, AS TO'S PUBLICIST STATED, HILLARY HAS 25MILLION REASONS TO BACK BARACK. AS A MATH PROFESSIONAL, IF ALL OF HER BASE GIVE HER $2 A PIECE, SHE WILL HAVE PLENTY OF MONEY TO RETIRE HER DEBT AND STILL HAVE 11MILLION TO PLAY WITH.

August 22, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. Mary

Senator Obama owes her nothing. If Senator Clinton has 18 millions
    voters. Where are You? She need you. People get over yourself.

SHE IS NOT GOING TO BE PRESIDENT (EVER)

Go Senator Obama......

August 22, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

The obnly way that I will contribute again to the Hillary Debt Relief Fund is if Barack comes to my door and personally asks me. I am waiting for all of her 18 million supporters to pony up $1 or 2 each to take care of the problem.

August 22, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. Mark in Texas

This is just another example of all Democratic politicians. They spend more that they have then they expect someone else to pay it off. If she could, I'm sure Hillary would impose a new tax to pay off her debt.

August 22, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  23. dmw

Hillary is going to have to eat her debt. We all know Obama is only about himself. Hillary is really for the people that is why she spent her own money to make it through all 50 states.

Obama will lose in November because moderate Democrats, Hillary supporters (who know she is the most qualified but disadvantaged by Obama being black and the white guilt, liberal leanings of Obama and the media), Republicans, and Independents will not vote for Obama no matter what he says. Obama was selected based on the Superdelegates not because he is qualified.

I can not bring myself to vote for Obama. If I do, then it means I accept someone who is not qualified to run the greatest country in the world. I would also be supporting an undemocratic system which is the Democratic Party.

This is the first year I will not vote for a Democrat for President. I will not vote for McCain. I will vote for HIllary in November.

I am a black female, so please do call me a racists which is what most Obama supporters call people who can not vote for Obama or they call us stupid, losers, etc. What a great way to bring people to your side...NOT!

August 22, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  24. The truth is!

How could all those "18 million supporters" be true HRC backers if they cann't rally around and with less than 5 dollars each retire her debt? I guess the answer is that they don't exist in reality, it was just a political statement, otherwise I do not see any reason why they cannot donate to help her out. Moreover, it was a pity that so much money was wasted to launch negative attack on Obama, else Obama supporters would have been more than willing to help if the atmosphere was friendly.
    Now is unity time, let us learn from this and find a solution!

August 22, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  25. John

The Clinton's are a couple whose lust for power has put them in the position where Bill Clinton can fly to Kazakhstan, say a few nice words about an investor in a uranium deal and be rewarded with $131 million.

Go ahead, google 'Clinton uranium'.

And other people should pay their bills. Sh'yeah, right.

August 22, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |