August 25th, 2008

Cindy McCain heading to Georgia

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/18/art.cindy.mccain.smiles.jpg caption="Cindy McCain is en route to the nation of Georgia."]
DENVER (CNN) – Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, is traveling to the nation of Georgia, which has seen intense fighting with Russian forces over the past month, her husband said Monday.

John McCain announced the trip at a fundraiser in Sacramento, California, telling the crowd, “Cindy is not here today, and I am sorry she is not, but she is on her way to the little country of Georgia.”

The wife of the Arizona senator will return on Wednesday, CNN's Dana Bash reported.

Cindy McCain is traveling with the U.N.'s World Food Program and plans to meet with Georgian President Mikheil Sakaashvili as well as wounded Georgian soldiers, a McCain campaign aide told CNN. She is also scheduled to meet with members of the HALO Trust, a group aimed at removing landmines.

In preparation for leaving, Cindy McCain told Time magazine: "There's a very serious landmine issue now, because there are landmines being laid as we speak."

"There's a whole bunch of things going on right now, and as we begin to move refugees from point A to point B or try to feed refugees who are stuck in pockets around the country, we're now running into the issue of the blowing up of humanitarian vehicles that are trying to get to the refugees. So it's a whole morass of problems now," she said.

McCain’s departure comes on the same day Michelle Obama, the wife of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, will address the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado.

Both McCains were in Georgia last year. Cindy McCain told Time her work on missions abroad was "an important part of what I'm about, what makes me tick."

Filed under: Cindy McCain • John McCain
  1. R.I.F.

No surprise. As many ties as McCain and his lobbying advisors have to Georgia I wouldn't be surprised if he and Cindy had a house there.

August 25, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. Texas Witch Twister

YOU GO CINDY. I SURE WOULD ENJOY LOOKING AT YOU THE NEXT FOURS YEARS INSTEAD OF THE GREMLIN MICHELLE OBAMA WHO LOOKS LIKE HER TEETH ARE PUSHING THEIR WAY OUT OF HER HEAD. BUT THEN SHE LOOKS AS WELL AS THE PRETZEL MAN.

August 25, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  3. bridgette

I don't mean to sound mean but if any of my tax dollars go to pay for anything in Georgia I will stop paying taxes. I mean it. We had nothing to do with that supposedly so I for one am not paying for it.

August 25, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  4. A Woman In California For Obama

Well, we all know she loves married men. Look out Mrs. Mikheil Sakaashvili (if you exist) because this woman has no moral character and would do just about anything has her past history has shown her.

Please keep her! I really don't want my young neice thinking it is okay to sleep with a married man (with children) and go on to become a first lady. Which she will NEVER be. Trash.

August 25, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  5. KC

I wonder if she is going to go jet sking. Where was she when Katrina hit? How many American born children is she willing to adopt? Oh that's right since she is pro-life there are no unwanted American babies.

August 25, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. Peter Kuhn

Maybe she'll land under snipper fire!

August 25, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  7. Bill Tampa

She's either going to the country of Georgia to make sure it wasn't damaged during the war, or making sure she can still ship Beer to Georgia, or to collect funds that the Georgian President owes MCcain. What does she think she can do?, Give makeup pointers. I hope not.

August 25, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. CM

It seems like Humberto prob bought some shared in Chinese and Indian companies so he profited from outsourcing of American jobs.

And what does Cindy think she will do over there?

August 25, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. D&D

I wonder what the media will make out of this? McCain must have sent her there to divert attention from the DNC, but we all know it won't work.

August 25, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. John B. From New Hampshire

wow... Big Bad McCain sends his wife on a political mission?!?!?! at least obama visited the world abroad himself.... who's elitist now?!?!

August 25, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  11. Concerned Independent

You're all sad... When your precious Obamas do anything you're running behind them. You're so far up thier posteriors that you can taste their flagilant godliness....

When anyone else does what your second coming did, it's a problem? Grow up or better yet, don't. I don't want you idiots voting.

August 25, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  12. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I guess Cindy and John have fixed their son's bank problems.

August 25, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. NYC LOVES OBAMA

I hope Cindy McCain goes to Georgia and NEVER comes back since "we are all GEORGIANS!"

August 25, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. Jill

CNN, Stop deleting my comments!!!! McCain still cheated on his first wife with her. The religious folks are so hard and fast on abortion (which is a good thing) but isn't adultery just as bad??? I cannot support an adulterer. It's a trust issue!!!!

August 25, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  15. john

i am happy Cindy is going to meet with the Georgian president because she can remember everything that is discussed. Mccain would have come back empty headed, forgotten what took place. I think if McCain becomes president she is going to be the face of foreign policy

August 25, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. TRACY

What a tart. She will do worse things in the Oval Office than Bill did. She looks like an over silicone inflated Barbie doll with two Stepford Wives for parents. Good grief John McSame! You cheated on a real woman for a blow up doll?

August 25, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. Dan

It's easy to give a buck when you have 100,000,000 more

August 25, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  18. sherry for Obama

Serious land mines?
    Is she trying to be like Princess Diana?
    That she will never be

Is her hand out of a cast so she can shake the hands of all the lowely people?

August 25, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  19. St Louis for Obama

Maybe Ms Cindy will be next on the ticket?????
    No worries, next all the Clinton dems will get their hopes up that McSame will ask Hillary to be his VP and when he doesn't, what party are they going to run to next?????????

August 25, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Debby

This woman has integrity all the way. She has traveled to alot of troubled places in the past. She will make an excellent First Lady. Where has Michelle Obama gone, oh yes to Hawaii I forgot.

August 25, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. Independent

Photo Op time.....really don't care that she is going....

August 25, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  22. Angela

Shhh! Cindy things it the state that borders Florida!

August 25, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. NObama 2008

When Obama heard that she was visiting Georgia, he said, "That's uh, uh, uh, um, um, nice, um, uh, I, uh, uh, uh hope, um,um, um, she gets, um, um, to see um, um, a Braves uh, uh, uh, uh, game."

August 25, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  24. Dean in KC

The negative responses `to this article surprised me. The I looked at the owner of the web site and realized that any positive response to an article about a conservative would probably not be published.

August 25, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  25. Aspire

What can she do? It was Georgia's stupidity to play with Russia, aided by GW's stupidity as well.

August 25, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |