August 26th, 2008

Clinton calls Michelle Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/10/art.convention.gi.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton called Michelle Obama the day after her DNC speech."]

(CNN) - Michelle Obama received a phone call after her widely praised speech Monday night - from Hillary Clinton.

The Obama campaign confirms the New York senator reached out to Mrs. Obama after her primetime address to the Democratic convention. The two did not connect, but Clinton left a message.

Clinton will address the convention herself in a highly anticipated speech Tuesday night.

1. THOUGHT HILLARY WOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING BY NOW

That is great! Now she needs to reach out to her supporters and get them to reason the damage they are doing to the party, nation and the Clintons name.

August 26, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  2. Scott Independent - NYC

This is moving in the right direction. I've heard it said that Clinton has been campaigning but it appears as if it were more of a platonic endorsement of a candidate. I would remind those that feel Senator Clinton's approach is mild it should be noted that Senator Clinton is not a fire and brimstone with trumpets blaring speaker. She is the type of person that you need to listen intently to what she says not rely on the highs and low's of the infliction or tone of her voice.

We will be united, we will be in control of the congress and the White House and we will have progress.

YES WE CAN

OB N 08
    Obama/Biden in 08

August 26, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Maritza

If America is to buy the whole unity BS, then Obama will also be selling swamp land in Florida, really ?let's concider the lack of real substance in the same old speech anout a better America from Michelle Obama, he smile seemed so forced as she uttered Hillary's name , can we forget the previous speeches" down on America theme" she recited over and over across America? NO , hope , ? Change , better opportunity? sounds like a broken record , try selling that to Obama's half brother George living in poverty in shanty town remember him? bet you won't post this ...

Maritza

August 26, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. SUE

I thought that it was a wonderfully written and given speech!

August 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. DH

Hellooo, why hasn't she called her back already????? Doesn't matter! I LOVE HILLARY! AND BILL and i know she will address us tonight her voters, has much as i admire her, i cannot and will not vote for a democrat president this time, it just isn't right! i and millions of other Hillary voters know that with Bush out! McCain will do his best to make things better, has time goes by and i listen to him, i know in my heart he deeply cares about us and will try and make things better for us! EXPERIENCE AND WISDOM DO COUNT! WE MUST HOLD ON TO THAT! And it's not about being a loyal democrat, if somethings are wrong they are wrong. OBAMA IS NOT THE ONE! Hillary we will be there for you in 2012 see you then! 🙂

August 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. L

eeeek, scary photo of Michelle

August 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. Bill S, Merritt Island, FL

I like the call blocking feature. HRC you have done enough to destroy the Democrats. Have your speech and get the hell out of our lives. BTW don't forget to take your donkey with you.

August 26, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. jeanette from Charlotte

Thank you CNN for your totally crappy coverage of the Democratic convention. The night was spend critizing the convention itself and fanning the fires of the Hillary supporters. James Carville is worthless and should be replaced on your team. It's obvious where his support lies, and it's not in Senator Obama.
    CNN is turning into Fox News – all hype and melodrama, and no real news.
    Michelle Obama has been vilified since day one, and that she finally has a chance to let america see the real her is a great thing.
    Yes, the first night of the convention is spent getting to know the Obama family, it's not a night of tough talking speeches, it's a night that is much needed to let america see the Obama family.
    The press has had a hand in basically destroying the Obama family in america's eyes, and now the press is destroying the convention.
    Shame on you, CNN. Shame on you.

August 26, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  9. Who Cares

I find it hilarious that Obama goons keep complaining about the republican ads and how Clintons and their supporters are behaving!!

Since WHEN has this election been about logic or fairness!!. If it were Obama, with as long a resume as the toilet paper roll in my bathroom WOULD NOT have been the democratic nominee. Never in the history of mankind has so much been obtained by a man with so little to offer!!

As for Michelle Obama not answring the call:
    Once a Beach always a Beach!!

August 26, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. cynamen

That was indeed a very inspiring ~ and thought provoking speech given by Mrs. Obama...and I can appreciate the humility that was required to place the call. May God bless this nation...and root out all hatred, hostility and bitterness. It high time for a change...and for Americans to cast meaningful votes.

August 26, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  11. Hillary Clinton a true democrat

Ofcourse Senator Clinton called her to congratulate her on her terrific speech and for her kind words. One word people-RATINGS! This rivalry between the Obama/Clinton camps is being dramatically embellished. Don't fall for the hype. We believe the same things in terms of policy. DEMOCRATS UNITE!

August 26, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  12. jayne

Michelle obama still has that edge of arrogance, as beautiful as their children are, it has tranferred to them, children being seen "NOT HEARD". naturally say "hi" to their dad but it went to far.

August 26, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  13. Tristan, Salt Lake City, Utah

Chose to ignore her eh? Yet they feel entitled to have Hillary corral her supporters.

People want her to say more than "Support Obama". What??
    People want her out of the spotlight but people want her to do more to help Obama win. You tell her voters to go away because they're not real Democrats (if they're not automatons who have the right to vote as they please) and that you don't need them. Then you blame Hillary for not doing enough to convince her voters.

You either want her in or not. But you want your cake and eat it too. So which is it? You denounce her 3 a.m. ad because it shows the weakness in Obama. Then you tell her she should be ashamed and go away. But you want her to stump for Obama to forcer her voters to go his way.

If this was his convention, he could have DEMANDED that she, Chelsea or Bill NOT be in it at all, – just the has-been Kennedy's and Oprah. But you know what? You need her. The DNC could have just said we don't need you anymore. Just stay away. But they knew they couldn't.

So you need her. You need her voters. News flash! If the DNC and Obama tells her to just stay away, I believe she will. But let's be honest. They need her to heal. We get it. She lost. But she had absolutely no obligation to do anything more than step aside. The other Democratic presidential candidates aren't doing as much as she is when she doesn't have to.

So which is it? It was a primary fight and Obama came up on top. He takes the nomination. But he also has to take responsibility for the aftermath and it's up to him to fix what happened. All is fair in love, war and politics. Hillary doesn't need to do anything more than she already has. If Obama was really that strong a candidate, he should be able to bring everyone together no matter how bad the aftermath, right?

But love or hate the Clintons, you need them.

August 26, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. Jeff

Well that is enough to make anyone barf. Senator Clinton was absolutely right when she said "Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience that he will bring to the White House. And, Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002." Why is she sucking up to Mr. and Mrs. Hubris now? I was a supporter of Senator Clinton but am rethinking my position now. I think the flip flop on Obama is hypocritical. I am a lifelong Democrat who will be sitting home in November. I will not cast one vote for a Democrat this campaign season. The way the DNC and Democratic leadership sheparded Obama to the top of the ticket is disgraceful. Now I'm going to sit back and watch them send in the clowns.

August 26, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. Closely Watching

I will admit that I have posted several negative comments aimed not so much at Senator Clinton but more at her supporters who seem willing to throw everything she, as a Democrat, stands for aside out of spite. I want to apologize to Senator Clinton for attacking her supporters, and indirectly her, and effective today I will refrain from any more negative posts.

Tony is right. It's about unity, healing and, most importantly, putting this government back into the hands of the Democrats-and I have been just as guilty as anyone for my divisive comments. I am sure Senator Clinton will be offered a top level position on his staff should Senator Obama win, one that could effectively highlight her talents better than that of Veep.

PUMAs, you do what you feel is right in your hearts and I will respect whatever that decision may be. If you feel that this country will be better served by John McCain in the driver's seat then Senator Obama, this is, after all, America and you have the inherent right to make that choice. But in the last few days I have seen what appears to be a heartfelt attempt by Senator Clinton to heal the rifts, and I respect her for that. She has proven to be a better person than I originally gave her credit for.

Democrats '08~one united party willing to work for change.

August 26, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  16. I'm with Debby.

I'd be interested in knowing if Mrs. Obama had the decency to call her back.

I'm guessing no.

August 26, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  17. ObamaAllTheWay

I will say it agian Hillary will do the right thing that helps Democrats to take over the white house, she is a wise and intellegent woman I have a trust on her.

August 26, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. Truth

Debby:
    you obviously didn't hear Michelle Obama's speech last night. If you had LISTENED to her speech you would not question the woman's DECENCY.

Dems '08
    STOP THE HATE

August 26, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. Banko

Good job Hillary.

Shame on Pumas

August 26, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  20. NotFallingInLine.org

When all is said and done, we the American people must choose our leaders who we think are competent to guide us today and protect the resources and lives of the next generation. That protection has to be something greater than just military strength, but economical and educational strength. What good is having a powerful army while your people starve and fall behind the rest of the world? All the other countries are striving to improve themselves. America is the only country striving to preserve itself. The main problem with this is that while everyone else moves forward, we stay behind. I will vote for what makes us stronger.

August 26, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. Done with Dems

Clinton: Is your refrigerator runnig????

Michelle: Click!

August 26, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. Charise

Last night I was VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED with CNN. They didn't evern cover Nacy Pelosi, Barack's sister or other regualr citizens giving their speeches. I watched it on C-Span. Luckily my mom called & asked if I was watching is sister speak & I said, I don't see her on CNN & she told me turn it on C-Span I was able to watch a small portion of what she said. CNN is so biased. I will be watching coverage on some other station because they totally turned me off last night. But on a happier note, Michelles's speech was awsome, moving, & powerful. I pray that Obama win's the election. And to all you Hillary supporters..as far as I'm concerned, you are not a real democrat if you are going to vote for McCain just because she didn't win the nomination. Most of you are probably republican's who switched parties to vote for her in the primaries anyway. Sellouts!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  23. Arden

Michelle, you rock ; you make me proud to be a woman. Hillary, its time for you to let your followers know its time to move on and mean it. There is no reason why you and Michelle can't join hands together . Both of you are brillant, great moms and wifes. Its time to work together and make Barack Obama the next President.. Hillary, I have alot of respect for you, don't destroy this last chance to take the Dem.Party back.

August 26, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  24. Carm from Syracuse

Hillary is the best. It took courage to call the American hating elitist Michelle Obama. It takes alot to have to pretend that Obama is a better candidate. Most women understand that they are more qualified and yet the "man" gets to apply for the job that they are not qualified for nor should even be this close to achieving.
    Bravo to Hillary and her supporters!! Keep talking and remember a vote for McCain is against the cheating lying scheming back-stabbing Obama's.
    Let's unite against Obama and put a real american hero in office so that Hillary can run again in 2012!!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  25. Destiny

Michelle speech last night was great.
    Most people don't seem to realized that most of Clinton's supporters have already gone over to Obama. Those that have not are the Rush Limbaugh "Operation Chaos" pseudo-Clinton supporters. If Clinton had won, they were not going to vote for her because they were "plants" to try to defeat her. They are now causing a disturbance in Denver because Rush has told them to do so. They are not true Clinton supporters.

August 26, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |