August 26th, 2008

Clinton calls Michelle Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/10/art.convention.gi.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton called Michelle Obama the day after her DNC speech."]

(CNN) - Michelle Obama received a phone call after her widely praised speech Monday night - from Hillary Clinton.

The Obama campaign confirms the New York senator reached out to Mrs. Obama after her primetime address to the Democratic convention. The two did not connect, but Clinton left a message.

Clinton will address the convention herself in a highly anticipated speech Tuesday night.

1. Mike G

This is news?

August 26, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Barney

I think that was the gracious thing to do. And I'm sure Michelle was busy with the convention and her precious little girls or she would have answered.

The people that think the worst are the ones that have the worst feelings about THEMSELVES.

We don't need the PUMA negativity. We have to take back our country or it may be lost forever in WW 3 because of the warmonger.

Obama/Biden '08

August 26, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Val, Atlanta, Ga

I have to put this on the blog somewhere

Have anyone seen or heard about the New Attack Ad John McCain just put out about the 2 Obama kids now thats really hitting low, you do not bother anyones kids especially when they are small like that, I believe sence he do not have anyone with any intellegents leading him all this will come back to bite him back.

Obama 08

August 26, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. Lourdes

Man, those two women are so smart, tough, and inspirational....I hope to see them work together in the upcoming Obama administration.

To the PUMAS – please understand that by voting McCain you are voting against Hillary's life work.

Obama/Biden 08 – but I'd like to see Hillary as Secretary of State!!!

August 26, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. Charise ( corrected )

Last night I was VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED with CNN. They didn't even cover Nancy Pelosi, Barack's sister or other regualr citizens giving their speeches. I watched it on C-Span. Luckily my mom called & asked if I was watching is sister speak & I said, I don't see her on CNN & she told me turn it on C-Span I was able to watch a small portion of what she said. CNN is so biased. I will be watching coverage on some other station because they totally turned me off last night. But on a happier note, Michelles's speech was awsome, moving, & powerful. I pray that Obama win's the election. And to all you Hillary supporters..as far as I'm concerned, you are not a real democrat if you are going to vote for McCain just because she didn't win the nomination. Most of you are probably republican's who switched parties to vote for her in the primaries anyway. Sellouts!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. Nia from Minneapolis

I switched to PBS last night too – we've seen enough of the CNN staff analyzing endlessly over non-news items. David Gergen is the only reason I'll check out CNN during the convention.

August 26, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. Kevin

I could hardly hold back the tears watching Michelle Obama's story of hardship, struggle and misery. It was truly an Oscar winning perfomance. I loved the bit about Barak always keeps his word, well tell that to John McCain on public financing of election campaigns. The bit about a new age of politics of hope not fear, so her husband didn't release and post off leaflets to people in Ohio showing rusty closed gates and empty factories to frighten Clinton supporters.

August 26, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. Jeffrey

As a Hillary supporter, I was impressed and moved by Michelle's speech. It was genuine and does a lot to move toward closure. While I can't help to think what might have been, as a supporter of Clinton and the Democratic ideals, the best way to honor Clinton and her life long service, is to trust her judgment and follow her lead on the journey toward a place called UNITY.

Gracious and magnanimous. That's our girl!

August 26, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Turnabout is Fair Play

She most likely calling her to thank her for such a wonderful speech and for the recognition she gave Clinton. I hope to GOD Bill will get over himself and man up to do the right thing.

August 26, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. RGB in MN

Michelle cannot return calls? Very rude!

August 26, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  11. new democrat

Well done Hillary.

August 26, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. Our Party

Michelle was probably still at the DNC or was leaving it when the call came in.

Democrats please do not the GOP use us or divide our party... This Is Our Party- Our Time To Shine!!!

NO MORE GOP- Destroying our lives....

August 26, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. Janice

No matter what the Clintons do the media will still blame Hillary and Bill if Obama loses this election. I can't bare watching any of the news programs anymore. I loved watching The SituationRoom with Wolfe-but now there are just too many pundits. All saying the same negative things. I am black and I am tired of the bias reporting by all the media.. I understand that they need a story. I wish they would stop the speculations and just report the facts. Not what they think will happen, may happen, want to happen, or might happen.

August 26, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. Karen Raleigh

How sweet of her????????

August 26, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. KMAN

Hillary ... please take John "did you know I was a POW" McCain apart tonight ... it should be easy as he is a fraud constantly draping himself in his shop-warn POW cloak. We are all sick to death of hearing about his one noteable lifetime event, which of course means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things.

August 26, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Matthew

"widely praised" ???? By who? CNN? Typical. It was panned by nearly everyone else. Trying to nicen up the ice queen, I didnt buy it. No one else with a pulse did either.

I

August 26, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  17. james

Its seems as if the media is obsessed with promoting the republican agenda of dividing the democratic party by constantly harping on the Hillary Clinton supporters more than Obama's historic candidacy. Are the media;including the "left wing media" really rooting for a Mccain win, or is it just for the sake of ratings.

August 26, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. Dem Unite

All you Obamabots and PUMAs, time to get together. The Dems cannot win without unity. A house divided cannot stand. Wake up people, get over your emotions and start using your head.

August 26, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. Never Barak Obama (PUMA)

No negative comments are not posted by Republicans! I am democrat and don't like Michele or her husband and at this moment do not plan to vote for her husband.

Michelle speech was not the greatest – PLEASE! Caroline speech was better!

August 26, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  20. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

I thought Mrs. Obama's speaech was touching, moving and gracious to everyone including Sen. Clinton. I saw that as a positive step. Look we need the Clinton's they are the most sucessful power couple the democrats have had in over 40 years. so lets unite and let's take back the white house.

August 26, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Clinton Supporter

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the DNC convention yesterday. Clinton has made it clear that she is standing behind Obama and the Dems. I will stand behind Obama too now that she has officially confirmed that she is not running for president.

Obama/Biden/Clinton 08

August 26, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. Tired of W, OH

So, "Democrat for McCain", when you say that McCain will not change Roe v Wade, are you saying that McCain is a liar? Because I remember him saying that it would be a top priority appointing the most conservative judges to overturn Roe v Wade. Or was McCain just pandering to the religious right like Bush did, with no intention of keeping his promise?

Also, the only way that "McCain is Green" is if you mean that is green with envy of Obama's popularity. The only way his energy policy is green is if he's recently discovered green oil.

August 26, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. Never Barak Obama (PUMA)

to Dem Unite – we would unite as long as Hillary is shown respect for the 18 million votes she received.

August 26, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  24. JB

I watched it all on Public TV so I was actually able to hear the presenters and thought they all did well. Gave me hope for our country. I am ready for unity. We need to get united, there is too much at stake. I would expect a gracious professionalism from both Hillary and Michelle and think we need to leave all the negative speculation to junior high kids and reality tv drama queens.
    Obama/Biden in 08

August 26, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. bubbaforobama

Don't you see. Hill is going to ask Michelle to be her running mate in 2012!
    BUB