August 27th, 2008

Clinton: I release you as my delegates

Hillary Clinton said Tuesday night that she thinks Democrats will leave Denver united.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton released her delegates Wednesday, allowing those who had pledged to vote for her to choose whomever they please, presumably Sen. Barack Obama, in a roll call vote later today.

"I am here today to release you as my delegates," Clinton told them in a packed ballroom at the Denver Convention Center. "What is so important is that at the end of today we will nominate Barack Obama and Joe Biden as the president and vice president of the United States."

Watch: Clinton releases her delegates

The mood in the ballroom was largely one of resignation, with a brief flash of emotion: when Clinton told the crowd of her decision, some in the audience shouted “No!” Others booed. The senator just smiled and waited for them to finish, then continued her speech.

While Clinton said she wasn't telling her delegates what to do, she reinforced her commitment: "I signed my ballot this morning for Senator Obama"

At the event, Clinton confirmed that her staff has been cooperating and discussing how to have a unified convention with the Obama campaign.

“This was such a competitive primary season,” Clinton told her delegates. “I want you to know this has been a joy. Yes we didn't make it but boy did we have a good time trying.”

Clinton engaged in a bitter primary battle with Obama until the last contest in June before conceding. On Tuesday night, she delivered a headline address to the party’s convention in Denver, which was intended to heal any rift that the contentious campaign had caused.

“I believe that as Democrats and as Americans we will leave Denver united,” she said on Wednesday.

Clinton told the delegation that she had waited to address them in one place so she could address them all before releasing them.

She also took the opportunity to take a swipe at the opposition party, telling her supporters that Republicans “should apologize to the country.”

Full story

1. RFP

Release the hounds...

August 27, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  2. Lou Anthony

Leaders of the Democratic Party, including the Obama camp, must have been pulling out their hair after watching Hillary's amazing speech and the electrifying reception she received. Hillary rocks! As a Hillary supporter, I watched her speech with tears rolling from my eyes. Tears not only of appreciation of her speech but tears of deep regret for losing the opportunity to make her our next president. Through her speech, she showed friends and foes alike how a brilliant and capable president she would have become for this great nation. The injustice that the democratic party committed against Hillary and her supporters will never be forgotten. Hillary, I love you! For the first time in my life, I will be voting for a republican in November. Yes, McCain looks much better, capable, trustworthy, experienced, and honorable than Barack Obama. I will wait Hillary's run in 2012. McCain 2008. Hillary 2012/2016.

August 27, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. stuff is silly

Very good for Hillary. If Obama loses, it's his fault. There are no excuses.

August 27, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. Will in Richmond, VA

Well.. this matters a lot more than her body language..... (see below...... better yet, don't)

August 27, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. steve

the puppeteers at the top of the DNC continue their strategy to beat the better candidate into submission. the delegates are a complete dog and pony show now, we already saw an earlier story today that they all talked in their back room deals to decide who would vote for whom, to give an illusion of unity. sounds to me like a snub to the people who voted for hillary, who at this point would still be the better candidate.

August 27, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. Anita from Arizona

Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton. Barack can use her experience and knowledge in his administration.

August 27, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. Obama loses

She can release her delegates, and "say" she's endorsing Obama. He's a Chicago politician who does not have the knowledge or experience or even the common sense to be even in the league of Hillary Clinton.

When he get's his hat handed to him, all of the obamabots will have to say is: "Yes, you told us so."

Deafeat from the jaws of victory....Hillary showed why she was the best candidate and how only she is ready to battle the rethugs. Obama will fail...like Kerry...like Gore.

August 27, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  8. Thomas

Now we will never know what her final delegate count would have been... its a shame... Obama is lucky Hillary is being so nice!

August 27, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  9. Irma in North Carolina

Lets hope this is all true, and that her supporters who dont like obama including the puma people dont start some thing at the convention tonight. Then I will believe she did the right thing.

August 27, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  10. Earl

Vote Hillary!!!

August 27, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. no trickle down...

Great!

August 27, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  12. Casey - Sebastopol, CA

Thank you Senator Clinton. Despite the media hype trying to rev up disunity, you are showing just what a great Democrat you are.

Obama/Biden '08

August 27, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. JOE KILOZ

W O U L D--–S H E--–D O--–T H I S---I F--–S H E--

D I D N ' T--O W E---$ 1 0 M I L L I O N ? ??

August 27, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  14. John

Take That you Puma Idiots !!

August 27, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  15. ben

CNN engaged voice, language, handwriting, astrological, psychological, and body language experts in hopes of finding someone, anyone, who could read further 'intrigue' into the proceedings...

August 27, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  16. Kool-Aid-Drinking

<<< Is a democrat, a Christian, and a college student.

I have never given my time to a campaign except this time.
    I have never given my money to a compaign except this time.
    I have never even registered to vote except this time.
    I have never put my emotion into politics except this time.

This time I want to tell all those old EXPERIENCED men who made wars so that young people like myself can die in it, ENOUGH.

This time I want to tell all those people who think lobbyists are talking for me, THEY DON'T.

This time I want to tell all those who think healthcare is for those who own more homes than they count....WE NEED IT TOO.

This time I want to tell all those who take pride on making me scared into believing them, NO MORE.

This time I want to tell all those who only support the troops in words only, SHOW ME.

This time it's my time.
    This time is not your time.
    This time I want my country back on track.
    This time I will not back down, and this you will listen.

I am voting for the HOPE MONGER.

August 27, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  17. Tony

GO HILLARY!

2012 is just around the corner.

August 27, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse NY

Too bad. if FL and MI have there full votes restored, it could have ebeen interesting.

August 27, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Hillray Rocks!

Hillary,

I can't be more proud of you then I am today. I know you truly care about your country.

August 27, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  20. Andrew

You super delegates should understand that if you do not represent your constituents you risk re-election.

Cast your votes the way your district, city, or state voted.

Hillary 2008!

August 27, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. Bob Indianapolis, IN

CATCH AND RELEASE...

August 27, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  22. john

She will be back running for president 2012, in the mean time, John McCain will be the next president. no way no how, no obama.

August 27, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  23. Tom St. Louis

Will this satisfy the Obamabots now? Has Hillary done enough to make you happy? Or does she have to bow down to BO and proclaim him the Messiah before you will be satisfied?

August 27, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  24. Allen In North Carolina

One Word........ CROOK!!!!

August 27, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  25. vic nashville,Tn

Hillary did what ever she can
    What else Obama wants
    I am sick and tired of Obama camp and the main stream media
    Life long democrat and Hillary strong supporter will vote for Mc Cain