August 27th, 2008

Clinton: I release you as my delegates

Hillary Clinton said Tuesday night that she thinks Democrats will leave Denver united.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton released her delegates Wednesday, allowing those who had pledged to vote for her to choose whomever they please, presumably Sen. Barack Obama, in a roll call vote later today.

"I am here today to release you as my delegates," Clinton told them in a packed ballroom at the Denver Convention Center. "What is so important is that at the end of today we will nominate Barack Obama and Joe Biden as the president and vice president of the United States."

Watch: Clinton releases her delegates

The mood in the ballroom was largely one of resignation, with a brief flash of emotion: when Clinton told the crowd of her decision, some in the audience shouted “No!” Others booed. The senator just smiled and waited for them to finish, then continued her speech.

While Clinton said she wasn't telling her delegates what to do, she reinforced her commitment: "I signed my ballot this morning for Senator Obama"

At the event, Clinton confirmed that her staff has been cooperating and discussing how to have a unified convention with the Obama campaign.

“This was such a competitive primary season,” Clinton told her delegates. “I want you to know this has been a joy. Yes we didn't make it but boy did we have a good time trying.”

Clinton engaged in a bitter primary battle with Obama until the last contest in June before conceding. On Tuesday night, she delivered a headline address to the party’s convention in Denver, which was intended to heal any rift that the contentious campaign had caused.

“I believe that as Democrats and as Americans we will leave Denver united,” she said on Wednesday.

Clinton told the delegation that she had waited to address them in one place so she could address them all before releasing them.

She also took the opportunity to take a swipe at the opposition party, telling her supporters that Republicans “should apologize to the country.”

Full story

1. Japo, AZ

Great speech Hillary, I really respect you. But, I understand that it was something you had to do, not something you wanted to do. For that reason I will have to go Republican this time

August 27, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  2. Lee in Illinois

Hillary should be the next president !!!
    Anyone in their right mind should know that.

Enough said !

August 27, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. eldasez

I will still vote for the Obama Biden ticket but after Hillary's speach last night I want her as my candidadte even more than beofre!

August 27, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. scott

I was wondering how more "expert Republicans" I have to listen to, and I might add few of your group say anything of value. Very poor coverage and reporting. The convention is going as planned. I'm seriously disappointed in the coverage. You can do a better job!

August 27, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. Super delegate NJ

Hillary; thank you for ashaming the devil. When they loose come November they will have no one to blame. You took the high road and I admire you and I know yeasterday when you took the podium, it was the begining of better things to come. Thank you for your professional conduct.

August 27, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. Sig, Los Angeles CA

Hillary Supporter Now For McCain...

So, Obama will be worse than Bush? Please tell me, how so?

August 27, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. Lyle

Mr. Obama is a tainted nominee. He is flawed, unqualified and not ready, by any stretch of the imagination, to be President. Mrs. Clinton would have been the logical choice as she clearly would have easily won against Mr. McCain in November and could have stepped in and taken charge immediately, which is what America needs.

As it stands now, there are lingering concerns about Mr. Obama and his poll numbers continue to spiral downward. The Clintons are intelligent, seasoned politicians who love America and it is, no doubt, difficult for them to support Mr. Obama, knowing that he is wrong for America and will lose the general election. The Clintons love what the Democratic Party stands for and would love to see the party succeed in regaining the White House but they know that, regardless of what they or anyone thinks of Mr. Obama, he is simply unelectable.

Mr. Obama’s supporters have their hearts in the right place but Mr. Obama is way too liberal for the United States and he will not be elected. With Mrs. Clinton out of the running, America has been given a choice between a Republican nominee who has what it takes to lead this nation or a Democratic nominee who does not. This is not rocket science, and the choice is clear.

August 27, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. NUNNYA

Gee you would think with all these so called "supporters" she'd have her debt paid off by now.

August 27, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. mel from Ohio

I have regained some respect for Hillary. I was once a supporter of hers and Bill's but as they got nastier and nastier during the primaries, I lost all respect for them. I am pleased that she has gotten over herself and moved forward. Wish Bill would do the same!!!

August 27, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. nancy

good for her, she was supposed to have done this before she incurred 18million dollars debt!

I am glad her and Bill are going home!

August 27, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  11. Mikey

That should be the theme for the Republican Convention --

AN APOLOGY TO AMERICA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Repubs have messed us up ROYALLY in practically every way they could. The economy (jobs, housing, GDP, possible stagflation), energy (runaway prices, no energy policy), deficits (staggering), totally stupid war in Iraq, strained relations with allies and emboldened enemies, increased disrespect and hatred of America, and last but not least, the unforgivable abuse (shredding) of our Constitution. These guys should live forever in infamy!

That, coupled with the emergence of the best leader I have seen in my adult life, has me fired up as never before. This is my 9th presidential election and I have never volunteered or donated more than a token amount.

Obama/Biden '08 – for the sake of our nation!

August 27, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  12. Carol, Michigan

Hillary you made the GOP trolls scared. I'll vote for Obama 2008, you in 2012 or 2016.

Hopefully you'll be the secretary of state until then'

August 27, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  13. Lisa

By her releasing her delegates I will not vote for Obama. Why does the rules have to change because of him? If he didn't have enough delegates to win he shouldn't be the nominee!!!

August 27, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. Allen In North Carolina

You people live on in your dream word...... This woman set a womans chances of being president of this country back for years..... She'll never ever, ever be president..... In 2012, Or 2016.... At least not in this country........ But dreams are nice..... Takes ones mind away from the real world.......

OBAMA 2008.....

August 27, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  15. fa

Let the healing begin

August 27, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  16. Georgine Hynes

I think everyone, pundits, anchors, and body language experts should stop telling the public what they think somone meant, will do, or how all this will turn out. Just report the news, I am sick of all the entertainment gossip from reporters who should do just that, report.
    I don't care what they think, I will form my own opinions after they report the facts.

August 27, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  17. RG

Hillary has been the best thing to come along for the Republican Party in a long time. I never thought I would ever say that. Thanks to Hillary and her "supporters", the Republicans will be keeping the White House. In 2010, we will make a huge comeback in Congress once people realize its the Democratic congress which is causing problems.

August 27, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. New Yorker

Republicans should apologize for what? Protecting the country from more attacks? The Democrats should apologize for Bill Clinton's adultery and for nominating a candidate who would furthr endanger our sovereignity as they have in the past.

August 27, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Lisa

This election has turned out to become a circus!! Why did Hillary have to release her delegates to him?

August 27, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  20. Debby

Sad this woman isn't even on the ticket and Biden is. This man has always gotten into political do do.

August 27, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. CauseNEffect

Hillary was the better candidate? Alright, take the DNC and Obama gripes out of the picture for a moment, PUMAs, just drop it:

Hillary had a TON of staff infighting and couldn't even bring them all together, she stuck by an adulterous husband instead of being a strong women and dropping him like he was hot, she was overconfident, and she ran a very negative campaign (even if Obama supporters were more negative than Hillary supporters during the primaries... now it's the Hillary supporters that seem to be gripers). She simply did not do a good job. Period. She was not entitled.

Obama just did better. Give it up.

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. MD in GA

For those of you who think electing Senator McCain and then waiting until 2012 to elect Hillary Clinton is a good idea, remember this. She will never get elected without the African American vote. Not in this country. If Obama loses, she and Bill will be blamed for it and she will NEVER get a majority vote from AA's. Not in 2012, not ever...

Obama's loss will be her loss.

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. One Nation under God

this is why i will support OBAMA
    because he is not perfect but he will be better off for me

All politicians flip flop. None are 100% trust-worthy. A politician will say/do whatever it takes to get elected and keep their position…that's the nature of the job. They do this by pandering to whoever can impact the security of their position at any given time. One week it could be Hispanics, the next blacks, the next conservatives…you get the picture. Why do you think they never give a direct answer to a question, but rather talk for 10 minutes about nothing in response to a question? If you have put your faith in Obama or McCain, then you are bound for disappointment. They will betray you at some point, guaranteed. Your job is to determine who will be able to stay within your acceptable betrayal threshold for 8 possible years.

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  24. Sister Marie

If Hillary would have won the nomination, I would vote for her in the general election. But, for all you people who supported her and now are planning to vote for a man who will continue indefinitely the war in Iraq, I just want to remind you: If your disloyalty results in the loss of this election, Don't even think about relying on my support or the support of millions of loyal Democrats!

August 27, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. modog

The only thing worse than not unifying the party is trying to trick people into thinking that you are unifying the party. O Wait, that is what all politicians do any way.

August 27, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |