August 27th, 2008

Clinton: I release you as my delegates

Hillary Clinton said Tuesday night that she thinks Democrats will leave Denver united.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton released her delegates Wednesday, allowing those who had pledged to vote for her to choose whomever they please, presumably Sen. Barack Obama, in a roll call vote later today.

"I am here today to release you as my delegates," Clinton told them in a packed ballroom at the Denver Convention Center. "What is so important is that at the end of today we will nominate Barack Obama and Joe Biden as the president and vice president of the United States."

Watch: Clinton releases her delegates

The mood in the ballroom was largely one of resignation, with a brief flash of emotion: when Clinton told the crowd of her decision, some in the audience shouted “No!” Others booed. The senator just smiled and waited for them to finish, then continued her speech.

While Clinton said she wasn't telling her delegates what to do, she reinforced her commitment: "I signed my ballot this morning for Senator Obama"

At the event, Clinton confirmed that her staff has been cooperating and discussing how to have a unified convention with the Obama campaign.

“This was such a competitive primary season,” Clinton told her delegates. “I want you to know this has been a joy. Yes we didn't make it but boy did we have a good time trying.”

Clinton engaged in a bitter primary battle with Obama until the last contest in June before conceding. On Tuesday night, she delivered a headline address to the party’s convention in Denver, which was intended to heal any rift that the contentious campaign had caused.

“I believe that as Democrats and as Americans we will leave Denver united,” she said on Wednesday.

Clinton told the delegation that she had waited to address them in one place so she could address them all before releasing them.

She also took the opportunity to take a swipe at the opposition party, telling her supporters that Republicans “should apologize to the country.”

Full story

1. NoMcSame

Look out republicans, it's on now. Me and my brothers can fight like dogs but we are still brothers, but when an outsider get into it we come together and tare him apart. That is what is going to happen to the republicans now. McSame as bush is going down with his sorry party and FOX news. We are going to run them out of town. Obama will give them the last seat in the back of the press room because the front of the room is for real reporters.
    Mcsame and his plastic wife can go some where and dry up for all I care.
    Obama08

August 27, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  2. Erika, KS

This is indeed a sad moment for our country. If nothing else, last night Hillary Clinton showed why she won so many votes. She has style, substance, guts, and she showed a lot of character by this speech.

I will forever be sad, and angry that this better candidate was railroaded right out of town. Now we know why Obama is so intimidated by her. And why Michelle is way out of her league.

Go HIllary! You held your head high. Continue to do so. I'm not sure how I will vote yet. But it was a hell of night watching you.

August 27, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. Republicans Hate America

Spin it CNN what is the underlying message on this one?

August 27, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. stuff is silly

It's all on Obama to win...he loses, it'shis fault

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. John in Ohio

People who say "McCain 2008" and claim to be Hillary supporters disrespect her and everything she stands for, everything she has fought for, and everything she believes in. People who say "McCain 2008 – Hillary 2012" do not care about the families and the children who will need healthcare between 2008 and 2012. They do not care about the people who will die in McCain's wars, as people have died in Bush's wars. They do not care about the people who will lose their jobs and their homes in that four year period.

In other words, people who say "McCain 2008" are Republicans. There is no place for shortsighted hatred and a thirst for vengeance in the Democratic Party, that is the drug that the Republicans peddle.

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. Republicans Hate America

Lou Anthony you are a stupid republican that fools no one.

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. Greg in Annapolis

She finally did the right thing! Thank you Hillary! Now, let's take the White House and this country back! Go Obama!!!

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. Tully

What a player! Bravo Hillary!
    Whatever happens next depends on Obama. Ted and Caroline, some in the Kennedy's clan, Oprah and most of the new celebrities, the old boys in the Democratic Party, the DNC and the media, big money and Obama's supporters have helped him get this far, now he needs to do the work himself to beat MacCain. It's all up to you, Mr. Obama.

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. Thomas

HOW ABOUT OBAMA RELEASE HIS DELEGATES!!!

I mean lets see if he got the magic number of votes!!!

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. Tired of the Nonsense

To all you ex HRC/now Mcsame supporters......you can whine all you want about her being "cheated"....that fact remains....she LOST. Get over it....and if you were TRUE HRC supporters you would have listened to what she said last night.

Also, if you guys love this woman so much...why is she still over $20M in debt????? Where is all this support now.

You guys are a bunch of hypocritical, racist, idiots.

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  11. bridgette

To all of these people who keep putting Obama down, you do realized he won because people voted for him. It's okay if you don't agree with him or won't even vote for him, but, why do you have to treat him as though he is dumb. Because I don't think anyone who makes it to where he is at his age could really be considered dumb. McCain wants us to send Georgia a billion dollars are you prepared to do that. Because I will stop filing taxes and paying taxes if they do that. Think it has something to do with his foreign policy advisor being Georgia's foreign lobbyist. Now we see what is taken away from us with the lobbyist for the American companies what do you think is promised to the foreign nations. Wake up people.

August 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. Ted

There are things you so because you mean them and there are things you say because you have to in order to get what you want later.

Luckily for the Democratic Party Senator Clinton is a very strong person willing to say what is necessary... rather than what is right.

August 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  13. Unity

PUMAs, wake up from your COMA

August 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  14. Mad

Clinton knows her supporters won't go for some ding dong experienced guy-
    either nader, barr, or McCain for me

August 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. bob

The body language revealed no cathosis.
    It is Obama's party now.

Vote Obama/Biden stop the drama!

August 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. Charlotte

We can only pray the next primary will be more fair and just. At least the Republicians know how to run a primary. This was a disaster. The best person lost and now must beg us to support the DNC's choice. I'm sorry, I still cannot do that. I will write her name on my ballot in November. What a dirty rotten shame..

August 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  17. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

I am so saddened when I realize that the only reason the hold-outs for Hillary are not voting for Barack is because they are closeted bigots and racists. Hillary is voting for Barack. If you were her supporter, why aren't you doing the same?

2008 in America and racism is still going strong.

Hiding behind the "he has no experience" is a bunch of bull. Clinton, Kennedy, and even BUSH–none of them had experience.

So what is the logical reason for not voting for Barack Obama?

RACISM!!

So sad. I hope you hold-outs don't have children because all you would be teaching them is your HATRED.

Shame on all of you voting for McCain simply because a Bi-Racial man is poised to be our next president.

No worries though.

No weapon formed against HOPE shall prosper.

August 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  18. Paul Revere

She did the best she could, this is POLITICS, right?

And as for 'Hillary Supporter now for McCain': The sad fact is that the better candidate won, pure + simple. Hillary would have won if she ran a better campaign, that's something you Hillary supporters fail to admit.

AND the fact that she got desperate and used the kitchen sink strategy against Obama (who I might add showed at least a little respect not to dig up ALL of HER AND BILL'S DIRTY LAUNDRY) during the campaign, she painted herself into the corner and off the ticket.

FYI, I voted for Bill Clinton twice (and glad I did) as well as voted Hillary into the Senate (and glad I voted then) She broke the rules with FLA/MICH and people claim she's a victim.

She runs with the big dogs and always has done, Hillary's no little Bo Peep, she's tough as nails and a great politician, it just wasn't in the cards for her this time. She hasn't been a Senator for 35 years, hasn't been in the PENN/ARK/ILL/NY state senate, for 35 years. She shared the white house with the President of the United States for 8 years.

Get over it.

August 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  19. Charlie in Maine

You Puma people are missing the big picture. I love Hillary and she would have been an excellent President.... but she did not win. And now you honor her couragous campaign by supporting someone who wants to make the Bush tax cuts permanent, stay in Iraq for 100 years, sings songs about bombing Iran and thinks Clarence Thomas is a great justice.

My mom use to call your type of behavior "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Do you really think our hero Hillary wants to spnd her next years iin the Senate putting up with more from Bushy McSame? ......

no way no how no McCain.

August 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. TheTruthHurts

If Obama loses, it is his fault. That would have been the case regardless. It's his responsbility to unite the party if he wants to win. If it doesn't happen, it's his fault. That's what it means to be the standard bearer and the head of the ticket. Likewise, Clinton is responsible when her campaign is unsuccessful. It doesn't mean that many forces didn't contribute to success or failure, just that the candidates job is to plan and overcome obstacles.

Clinton has been gracious, concillatory and gave the best speech of her entire life last night. She's done what she could. Barack has to close the deal, not with Hillary supporters, but with AMERICANS. If he doesn't, he won't get the job.

Question is, will we do OUR part?

August 27, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. Marie

She said all the right things. If the arrogant Obama supporters cannot give her credit for being strong, capable, knowledgeable and experienced, then they don't have their eyes or ears open. To say they don't need her is a joke. They will not win without the majority of her supporters on board. If they could, do you think she would have been given such a prominent spot at the convention? It is why Michelle praised her in her own speech. They are trying to win people over because at least they are smart enough to know that they have to. Their poll numbers have gone down! I think Hillary totally rose to the occasion. I still believe Hillary would have been the best candidate for POTUS, and that speech showed what a great one she would make.

August 27, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. Stop the Drama

I still don't understand what Obama took from her. People came out and voted.

Stold her turn you mean?? I'm sorry but to all of you that think that it's her turn, people came out and voted. I was a Clinton supporter, my priorities have changed. I heard the speeches and made a decision.

The fact is Obama is bringing out those people that would not normally vote, the young vote and college educated individuals (at least in Texas). She was running a traditional campaign and He ran an non traditional campaign. He used the internet to raise money to organize people and get donors. He out smarted her!

August 27, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. Peggy

To all the Hillary supporters who feel deep diasppointment. What Hillary did was remarkable. Please don't destroy it with bitterness or hate. She may never be president but then there is Chelsea.
    I love Hillary too but I am supporting Obama. It is imperative that we rally around him to bring the Democratic party back to greatness. It is not only o.k to vote for Obama. It is the right thing to do. if Obama wins, Hillary also wins. Trust me I know what I am talking about. In the end we all win.

August 27, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  24. JJ

we will not be supporting Obama. Sorry Ms. Clinton we are with the 27% who choose to vote for a man with more experience. And, we do not owe any loyalty to the party that betrayed her. You made you bed democratic party now "lie" in it.

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  25. EC

If Sen. Hillary Clinton's supporters don't rally behind Sen. Obama, then they have done Sen. Clinton the GREATEST INJUSTICE themselves!!! They can no longer blame Sen. Obama for their destruction.

Because if Sen. Obama loses this election, Sen. Clinton will NEVER win the Presidency. Her supporters will have destroyed every possible chances of a political future. NO ONE wants to deal with this FACT. Everyone needs to realize. This is NOT about Sen. Obama nor Sen. Clinton, this election is about our FUTURE!!! We need to stop fussing and taking every little thing personally because this is BIGGER than you or me.

This is about ALL OF US, THE FUTURE OF OUR CHILDREN, OUR MILITARY AND OUR ECONOMY!!!

The DEMOCRATIC PARTY is a team, it's NOT Sen. Obama or Sen. Clinton. WE need to stop acting and talking like this is all about ME or YOU. Are you BETTER OFF than you were 10 years ago? Dah...

Come on people, let's all cool out and start working together rather than tearing each other down. We have a common purpose that binds us. We ALL want a better quality of "life", better healthcare, better education for our children, an END to an UNNECESSARY WAR, better economy, etc.

I listened to Sen. Clinton's speech and realized that I AM A TRUE DEMOCRAT AND I WILL NEVER GIVE MY VOTE TO THE REPUBLICANS JUST BECAUSE MY "favorite" team player did not win the nomination.

THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT SEN. CLINTON OR SEN. OBAMA, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FUTURE OF EVERY FAMILY IN THIS COUNTRY WHO IS STRUGGLING WITH A FAILING ECONOMY AND WORRYING ABOUT THEIR SONS OR DAUGHTERS OVER IN IRAQ. IT'S ABOUT FAMILIES STRUGGLING TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE OR GAS IN THE CAR. IT'S ABOUT PRAYING "NOT" TO GET SICK BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE HEALTHCARE!!!

I'M PROUD TO BE A DEMOCRAT...

I'M PROUD TO STAND WITH ALL MY FELLOW DEMOCRATS...

i'M PROUD TO STAND WITH BOTH SEN. OBAMA and SEN CLINTON...

AND I WILL NEVER BETRAY MY LOYALTY TO THE PARTY.

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |