August 27th, 2008

Clinton: I release you as my delegates

Hillary Clinton said Tuesday night that she thinks Democrats will leave Denver united.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton released her delegates Wednesday, allowing those who had pledged to vote for her to choose whomever they please, presumably Sen. Barack Obama, in a roll call vote later today.

"I am here today to release you as my delegates," Clinton told them in a packed ballroom at the Denver Convention Center. "What is so important is that at the end of today we will nominate Barack Obama and Joe Biden as the president and vice president of the United States."

Watch: Clinton releases her delegates

The mood in the ballroom was largely one of resignation, with a brief flash of emotion: when Clinton told the crowd of her decision, some in the audience shouted “No!” Others booed. The senator just smiled and waited for them to finish, then continued her speech.

While Clinton said she wasn't telling her delegates what to do, she reinforced her commitment: "I signed my ballot this morning for Senator Obama"

At the event, Clinton confirmed that her staff has been cooperating and discussing how to have a unified convention with the Obama campaign.

“This was such a competitive primary season,” Clinton told her delegates. “I want you to know this has been a joy. Yes we didn't make it but boy did we have a good time trying.”

Clinton engaged in a bitter primary battle with Obama until the last contest in June before conceding. On Tuesday night, she delivered a headline address to the party’s convention in Denver, which was intended to heal any rift that the contentious campaign had caused.

“I believe that as Democrats and as Americans we will leave Denver united,” she said on Wednesday.

Clinton told the delegation that she had waited to address them in one place so she could address them all before releasing them.

She also took the opportunity to take a swipe at the opposition party, telling her supporters that Republicans “should apologize to the country.”

Full story

1. dave g, minneapolis

Hillary talked about her accomplishments, not the reasons that she backs Obama. It's too bad the Democrat Voters rolled over and let them presume who the nominee is, thus "presumptive". What is the convention even for when CHOICE is ruled out. The whole point of the convention is to DEBATE and CHOOSE the best candidate. The whole concept is lacking of freedom and everyone thinks it's great because of "party unity".

The same problem with the general elections–limited choice, or the perception of it. People are really UPSET about having to vote for Obama OR McCain because they think that is the only choice. It isn't!!! THere are other parties, and voting for them is not throwing your vote away. It is standing up for your beliefs. It's apparent that the Democrats don't want freedom of choice or debate. Same will happen next week in Minnesota with the RNC. NO CHOICE.

I'm voting for Bob Barr. and If you care, he already has a VP picked. Also the Libertarian Party Convention was FULL of debate and soul-searching about the direction of the party and the choice of a candidate. It was not a multi-media, sing-along, touchy-feely unveiling of a predestined candidate!!!

BARR '08

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. Obama08: White, 60, female

Two fronts Obama has to fight:

1. the media's obsession with the Clintons and their desire to take the easy road by replaying attack ads and one liners and not explicitly reporting on what the candidates' actual platforms are. Then they repeat ad nauseum that Obama has to be more specific when his website and his speeches do contain very specific information and background.

2. The Republicans

I believe he can beat #2 but I am not so sure about #1 which is sad in a country that tries to claim it's the greatest democracy in the world.

Hopefully, CNN will actually broadcast all of the speeches instead of talking through them complaining and giving inane advice when the speaker on the stage is doind exactly what they are harping on. I wonder if they will provide the same advice to J. McCain.

PBS aand CSpan are the two sources that actually carries the speeches, unedited with no talking heads interrupting and screening what you watch.

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  3. Francie - G'vl, SC

She was very powerful, honest and brilliant in her delivery.
    She has now added "magnanimous" to her long list of credentials.

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  4. ken

Now we can start an honourable coverage of Mr. Obama as a Party leader!

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  5. Monday Morning QB

Not much more that Hillary could have said in her speech last night except ....

And I hope that tomorrow, the Convention will allow the Great State of New York to go first in the roll call so that I can be the first delegate to cast my vote for Barack Obama as the Democratic Pary nominee for President.

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  6. Jennifer - OH

Hillary was my candidate, and Obama is my President. Don't spite HRC, her cause, and the millions of Americans that need you. It's time to take back America.

NO WAY. NO HOW. NO MCCAIN!

Obama/Biden '08

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  7. rick willard

Why does'nt Hillary back John McCain for revenge? Because she's not as shallow and ignorant as some of her followers.

August 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. PUMA moving on...

I was so against this Mrs. Clinton but after your speech last night, it makes sense.

We must put the peope first – regardless of how we personally feel about a candidate.

August 27, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  9. Ray

NO WAY. NO HOW. NO McCain! As a Obama supporter, I am truly proud of Hillary Clinton. She has done what was expected. In return, I will donate $25 to Barack AND $25 to her as well. She is a hard fighter, but when it's time to come together she is %100 DEMOCRAT! I like that!

Obama 08

August 27, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  10. blair

Just put him in office and get it over with. The peoples vote do not count. Get him in there so we can get him OUT.

August 27, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  11. Francie - G'vl, SC

Hillary was very powerful, honest and brilliant in the delivery of her Convention speech.

She has now added "magnanimous" to her long list of credentials.

August 27, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  12. Vincent

Fine, for all of you who wanted Hillary and have decided on McCain, why don't you just write in Hillary's name?

That would take care of two birds. One, you are showing your commitment to Hillary and two, you would not be voting for McCain which, in essence would allow your candidate a victory if McCain wins and is in it for only four years.

August 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  13. Obama08

From reading these blog comments it's pretty obvious that CNN has become the media for the disgruntled Clinton supporters. Seems the others have moved on!!!

August 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  14. Judgement to Lead- Obama and Biden

Good point from Jorge-

Abraham Lincoln, usually called our greatest President, spent only two years in the House of Representatives. And I'm pretty sure Lincoln was President during a war- remember?

McCain's likely VP, Mitt Romney, only served as governor of a state for four years, and didn't even bother to run for re-election.

August 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. ramonita

Hillary supporter,

Count me in, too. I will never vote for someone who has nothing but nothing that really counts, no experience, no political accomplisment, except of course fooling the naive, I will vote for McCain who has more guts than Obama ( The CHOSEN ONE ) will ever have. What has OBAMA done for this country? Absolutely ZERO, and DEmS want to elect him for PRESiDent? Obviously the American people are so unpatriotic to allow a now-nothing to lead this great nation of ours? Would send your children to school where the teachers have no special education to teach? And you want this upstart to become our leader? Let's not make a worse mistake than we already have with the Bushes!

August 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

HILLARY WILL BE ON OBAMA'S CABINET, SHE WON'T BE A JUNIOR SENATOR. I HAD MY DOUBTS ABOUT VOTING FOR IF SHE SHOULD RUN AGAIN, BUT SHE WILL GET MY VOTE.

August 27, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  17. corey, NH

I will vote for Senator Obama and his vp choice Senator Biden with no question in my mind. However, Hillary Clinton will forever make me remember why I am so blessed to be a woman born in the United States of America.

August 27, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  18. Republicans Hate America

PUMA wants you to think they are democrats so if Obama does lose which he will not it will cause more division in 2012 and republicans win again. dont be fooled!

August 27, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. Al

I still wouldn't ever vote for Hillary. This only about her trying to save face in the wake of defeat.

August 27, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Gwen

Hillary was impressive last night and I was touched by her speech. Her die-hard "fans" who say they will vote for McCain are fools who are only hurting themselves.

Hillary would make an outstanding Attorney General, Secretary of State or Supreme Court Justice.

If only her whiny supporters would shut up.....

August 27, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  21. abatoy

Hillary in 2016?

You don't think that Joe Biden might have something to say about that? You know, the guy with all the experience who brings so much to the ticket. You don't think that he might want to run in 2016?

Geesh, he has been on the job for less than a week, and already he has been thrown under the bus and Cheyney'd.

August 27, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  22. Becky, Midwest

As a Hillary supporter, the verdict is still out on how I will vote. I have learned a few things though.

Hillary, you have grit! Your supporters will forever believe in you. You are a moderate, as are most people in this country. You have known to reach across the aisle. McCain. He has experience and he also has shown to work with the other party. Obama. Well, he has no accomplishments while in Congress. So, we just don't know.

I will be switching from the democratic party to independent. The DNC made a huge error in backing Obama and backstabbing Clinton. They must pay for that. Obama and Biden ticket is the most liberal the DNC has ever had. I think they will lose because of that.

Obama supporters will try to blame Clinton. But it is not Clinton's responsibility to win this for Obama. That lays squarely on his shoulders and it's time for him to step up to the plate and own that responsibility. His supporters have been very nasty to Clinton, as a woman, a Senator and a First Lady. She deserves better.

After eight long years of George W Bush, we really need a proven candidate to fix the problems Bush is leaving. I'm not ready to send in a rookie to do that job. We'll see how the next couple of months go.

Thank you Hillary for being so gracious and dignified at what must have been a very difficult thing to do. You are the better person.

August 27, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  23. Arkell

To those "Democrats" that are voting for McSame, shame on you. I think Charles Barkley labled you correctly. To vote for someone that will put you deeper in debt, war and health, just because your candidate didn't win is insane. We call you closet Democrats.
    I for one want a better life for my family and country.

Go Obama

August 27, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  24. Ali

Obama better start worrying about his women voters.
    This is such a shame.
    The media nominated Obama.
    My whole community is against him.
    We're silent but believe me, there's more than 18 million people against Obama for many reasons

August 27, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  25. Prayers

My salutes to you ... Obama..no way I am voting for you..
    HILLARY or anyone but Obama