August 27th, 2008

Clinton: I release you as my delegates

Hillary Clinton said Tuesday night that she thinks Democrats will leave Denver united.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton released her delegates Wednesday, allowing those who had pledged to vote for her to choose whomever they please, presumably Sen. Barack Obama, in a roll call vote later today.

"I am here today to release you as my delegates," Clinton told them in a packed ballroom at the Denver Convention Center. "What is so important is that at the end of today we will nominate Barack Obama and Joe Biden as the president and vice president of the United States."

Watch: Clinton releases her delegates

The mood in the ballroom was largely one of resignation, with a brief flash of emotion: when Clinton told the crowd of her decision, some in the audience shouted “No!” Others booed. The senator just smiled and waited for them to finish, then continued her speech.

While Clinton said she wasn't telling her delegates what to do, she reinforced her commitment: "I signed my ballot this morning for Senator Obama"

At the event, Clinton confirmed that her staff has been cooperating and discussing how to have a unified convention with the Obama campaign.

“This was such a competitive primary season,” Clinton told her delegates. “I want you to know this has been a joy. Yes we didn't make it but boy did we have a good time trying.”

Clinton engaged in a bitter primary battle with Obama until the last contest in June before conceding. On Tuesday night, she delivered a headline address to the party’s convention in Denver, which was intended to heal any rift that the contentious campaign had caused.

“I believe that as Democrats and as Americans we will leave Denver united,” she said on Wednesday.

Clinton told the delegation that she had waited to address them in one place so she could address them all before releasing them.

She also took the opportunity to take a swipe at the opposition party, telling her supporters that Republicans “should apologize to the country.”

Full story

1. What?

"No way, no how, no McCain"

If voters like you (stuff is silly August 27th, 2008 4:38 pm ET), do the nobel thing and vote for Obama, if not, vote for anyone but McBush...even with that....he will WIN.

Vilsack: McCain chooses oil companies over American people
    Tuesday, August 19th, 2008
    Former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack speaks on a conference call discussing Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) opposition to bipartisan energy reform that eliminates tax breaks for oil companies. Vilsack says that this, and other moves have shown us that McCain has chosen the side of the oil companies over that of the American people (19:37).

August 27, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. Kelby from Houston, TX

CNN is funny now. Examining body language? everyone who commented on that story said the same thing...ARE SERIOUS? yeah they are.

August 27, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. jj

The ticker question should be: "What did Michelle Obama's body language reveal last evening"?!

August 27, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Jim Wade, Iowa

I keep hearing the republican Hillary fans say how Obama could use her experience...experience in what? Her experience in the Senate? She hasn't exactly been there that much longer than Obama. What other experience does she bring? Spousal? Because Obama already has a good wife.

And to anyone who thinks if Obama loses Hillary will win in 2012...you need to stop being ignorant. If Obama loses, Hillary will have no chance at running again, she will lose all Obama voters. Mark Warner will then be the 2012 nominee.

August 27, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. Mark

"Hillary, I love you! For the first time in my life, I will be voting for a republican in November. Yes, McCain looks much better, capable, trustworthy, experienced, and honorable than Barack Obama. I will wait Hillary's run in 2012. McCain 2008."

Ha Ha Ha!!! Racist!

August 27, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  6. nancy

Hey guys. Thank you for your work. I will definitely vote for Mccain if Hillary doesn't get the nomination. I understand what Hillary said in her speech that we are in this with her not simply because of her, but also the people who don't have healthcare But, you have to listen, voting Obama would mean Hillary would not be able to become a president until 2018? who knows what is going to happen in the coming 8 years?? If Obama becomes the president, given his ability, i am sure people would quit voting for democratic after 4 years....and hillary's chance in 2018 might be affected by his incompetence!! Voting for mccain might not be ideal; at least, it will give hillary a chance in 2012. Also, this is the only way the dems will learn their lesson of forcing a candidate down our throat. Also, even though Hillary's policies might be close to Obama's than Mccain's, but I believe Obama is not going to deliver what he promised given his flip flopping record and his incompetence. With the old mccain, we still have hopes that Hillary would come clean up his mess after 4 years. Not only obama is an impotent jerk, he also stole the nomination...speaking of Bush like, Obama is more Bush like than Mccain!!! I have been a democrat since i start to understand politics, but now i am an independent. I will not donate a dollar to the party until they learn their lesson. For the people who have no health care, for hillary, we need to vote for Mccain!! That is the only way we will get health care in 4 years...instead of supporting the all-talk Obama!! Hillary 2012!!

August 27, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  7. Ali

Obama should be so lucky to have the Clintons on his side.
    How cocky.

August 27, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  8. Jay Meadows

Hillary gave a great speech. Why do Soledad and some of the other correspondents have to be so "picky" about the particular words she used to say she was backing Obama? Looks as if they are just trying to stir up doubt in the voters and cause trouble. Also, there are those of us who would like to hear speeches other than the ones CNN chooses for us to hear. I could do without ANY REMARKS from Leslie Sanchez and Glenn Beck and all the other negative pundits you have. Some of them couldn't or wouldn't say a positive thing about a Democrat if their lives depended upon it.
    I think the Democrats have a great ticket–finally someone I can vote for instead of against. Go Obama and Biden!!!

August 27, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Michael

It has become clear Obama will show unity at the convention.

Suppress any meanful support for Hillary, hide it from the TV cameras and the nation.

A sham roll call is will provide no catharsis.

But outside the convention center people are still free to speak and vote there mind. Forced unity is no unity.

Hillary made a strong case for voting the issues. Obama's actions make a strong case that the issues are just nice sounding ideas without honest and capable leadership. I find Obama sadley lacking in honesty or leadership.

August 27, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  10. RuthieM

Look, 'Hillary supporters' who are and who have always been 'anti-Obama' folks, never would have supported Obama in the first place, even without Hillary Clinton.

August 27, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  11. Hillary's #1 fan

After Hillary's speech, I will vote for Barack Obama.

I realized how stupid, childish, foolish & retard I am when I thought of voting McCain as a revenge. I deserve to die if I really vote for McCain.

No Way. No How. No McCain.

August 27, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  12. Brian Seattle

I am completely baffled by some of these comments. How was Hillary cheated from victory? She earned fewer delegates based on votes cast, even if you do count the votes in Michigan and Florida. I think it would be disenfranchisement if Obama's nomination had been overruled since he did actually earn more delegates. You voted, I voted our votes were counted, delegates were proportioned based on the results of those votes.

Hillary has never been my favorite but I have to say she surprised me yesterday and made me proud. I realize some Clinton supporters are still upset but honestly, you're willing to vote for McCain, out of spite? Hillary's whole point last night was in a race that included the first Woman and the first African-American to make it this far there are no losers, unless you vote for McCain.

August 27, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  13. Jim Wade, Iowa

Another thing. OBAMA WON THE NOMINATION. Nothing was stolen from Hillary. You claim Hillary won the popular vote, well guess what, THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE CAUCUS STATES! You whined about Florida and Michigan not getting a voice. Well guess what, if Hillary won the nomination based on the popular primary vote, then people like me in Iowa, and those in the many other caucus states, would have had no say. Grow up, you do not know anything about American politics.

August 27, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  14. Linda of Atlanta

I wish the press would stop being the news and report some news that they have not themselves made up. Speculation is all that the news now contains.
    The delegates who are continuing to oppose Obama have a bigger issue than disappointment. The fact that nobody besides Charles Barkley is willing to call it by its real name is unfortunate.

August 27, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  15. Kimberly from Houston, TX

Thank you Hillary!

August 27, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  16. Paris

The point is that Hillary never endorsed Obama’s character and ability as a president.
    This is the same women who questioned Obama’s readiness for the job and I have yet to see or hear anything that can counter her prior accusations.

When Hillary believes that Obama is not ready to be the President it is very unfair and undemocratic to expect her to do it because of the party.

Country comes first not the political party.

August 27, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  17. Roy Arellano (San Antonio)

SAD TO SEE EVERY POST THAT STATES HE/SHE WILL VOTE FOR McCAIN EVEN AFTER HEARING HILLARY CLEARLY STATE WHY NOT....

It is obvious that your post is not true, not realistic, and not even remotely logical. You claim to be for a party and yet, stand by an illegitimate EXCUSE(s) to not vote for Sen. Obama & Sen. Biden.

If what I say applies to you then YOU ARE NO PATRIOT, and TRULY A DISLOYAL INDIVIDUAL. So at the end of the day are you some a childish ignorant fool who votes without logic or reason for individuals, or are you a Patriot, who will vote fore representation of what is in the best interest of ALL AMERICANS, EVEN THE ONES WHO DON'T LOOK, ACT, SOUND, EAT, THINK, OR HAVE NAMES LIKE YOU?

I say this with a clear conscious; I am a VETERAN, MODERATE, INDEPENDENT, PATRIOT, and LOYAL CITIZEN of our Republic.

August 27, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  18. bakersfield

vote hillary

August 27, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. Get With It

So Hillary finally stepped up. I see now that Hillary does have great character. She was just in a dog fight before. What she is doing now will pay big dividends for her in the future. Lets see if Bill steps up now.

August 27, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. Rayce

Hillary supporters voting for McCain:

Please get over yourselves. You obviously care more about yourselves than the principals you claim to stand for.

And please look up the definition of democracy in the dictionary.

August 27, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  21. Tim Osburn

Having read all of you Hillary people that are going to vote for McCain so Hillary can win in 2012, I guarantee you that I will go door to door in 2012 and do everything I can to make sure she has no chance whatsoever. And I only will do this because of you. Her supporters. I don't blame her for whatever happens, but I totally blame you people. Babies, whiners. Losers all. If we lose it'll be because of you and I will sure as hell do whatever it takes to make sure the Clintons never get elected again. Not because of them, but because of you. You who will cede the supreme court to the conservatives for the rest of my lifetime and that of my daughters. You loser punks.

August 27, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  22. Matt

For those of you screaming "disenfranchised", I congratulate you on trying out a new vocab word this year, but how about you look up its actual definition? Your candidate not winning is not it.

Check out the history of people actually losing their voting rights through caging, voter intimidation, and purging of voter rolls. These would be the tactics of the party you plan on supporting in November.

August 27, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. Anonymous

What goes around comes around. If Hillary wants to run 4 or 8 years from now she will need Obama supporters also. She should have ended her campaign months before she finally gave up. Her lack of judgement has cause the Democrates disunity. Hillary supporters are acting as if Obama owes them something. He ran the better campaign and won. Hill's camp need to accept defeat and move on. As for her speech last night she spoke eloquently, it was well written. By underneath it was selfish and she should have focus more on Obama's strengths. It was an undercover way to promote herself for the 2012. Obama has made good decisions thus far, for this I trust him to lead this country to economic growth and more...

Obama 08

August 27, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  24. Peace and Love

Obama 08

August 27, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  25. Ron Pab,San Francisco

despite the awesome speech by hilliary ,obama will never win
    there are still die hard hilliary supporters who will either not vote
    or vote for mc cain for disappointment of hilliary....not being the nominee or vice president, the people surrounding obama
    hates clintons.But someday the clintons will rise again.

lets face the reality 18,000,000 votes thats a lot ,some of them
    will go to Mc Cain.

Waste of time in Denver.Still Divided Democrats.But I hope obama
    people will not Blame Hilliary if they lose their candidate because
    Hilliary gave it all with honor and dignity.

Sad to say McCain 2008