August 27th, 2008

Clinton: I release you as my delegates

Hillary Clinton said Tuesday night that she thinks Democrats will leave Denver united.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton released her delegates Wednesday, allowing those who had pledged to vote for her to choose whomever they please, presumably Sen. Barack Obama, in a roll call vote later today.

"I am here today to release you as my delegates," Clinton told them in a packed ballroom at the Denver Convention Center. "What is so important is that at the end of today we will nominate Barack Obama and Joe Biden as the president and vice president of the United States."

Watch: Clinton releases her delegates

The mood in the ballroom was largely one of resignation, with a brief flash of emotion: when Clinton told the crowd of her decision, some in the audience shouted “No!” Others booed. The senator just smiled and waited for them to finish, then continued her speech.

While Clinton said she wasn't telling her delegates what to do, she reinforced her commitment: "I signed my ballot this morning for Senator Obama"

At the event, Clinton confirmed that her staff has been cooperating and discussing how to have a unified convention with the Obama campaign.

“This was such a competitive primary season,” Clinton told her delegates. “I want you to know this has been a joy. Yes we didn't make it but boy did we have a good time trying.”

Clinton engaged in a bitter primary battle with Obama until the last contest in June before conceding. On Tuesday night, she delivered a headline address to the party’s convention in Denver, which was intended to heal any rift that the contentious campaign had caused.

“I believe that as Democrats and as Americans we will leave Denver united,” she said on Wednesday.

Clinton told the delegation that she had waited to address them in one place so she could address them all before releasing them.

She also took the opportunity to take a swipe at the opposition party, telling her supporters that Republicans “should apologize to the country.”

Full story

1. Lillian White

You know, I wanted to support Hillary in the primaries, but after listening to her bitter, hateful supporters, I changed my mind.

^^see how silly that sounds?

Good luck, Senator Clinton; you have my vote in 2016, but this year? Barack, all the way!!

August 27, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. dave g, minneapolis

August 27th, 2008 5:03 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Hillary talked about her accomplishments, not the reasons that she backs Obama. It's too bad the Democrat Voters rolled over and let them presume who the nominee is, thus "presumptive". What is the convention even for when CHOICE is ruled out. The whole point of the convention is to DEBATE and CHOOSE the best candidate. The whole concept is lacking of freedom and everyone thinks it's great because of "party unity".

The same problem with the general elections–limited choice, or the perception of it. People are really UPSET about having to vote for Obama OR McCain because they think that is the only choice. It isn't!!! THere are other parties, and voting for them is not throwing your vote away. It is standing up for your beliefs. It's apparent that the Democrats don't want freedom of choice or debate. Same will happen next week in Minnesota with the RNC. NO CHOICE.

I'm voting for Bob Barr. and If you care, he already has a VP picked. Also the Libertarian Party Convention was FULL of debate and soul-searching about the direction of the party and the choice of a candidate. It was not a multi-media, sing-along, touchy-feely unveiling of a predestined candidate!!!

BARR '08

August 27, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  3. Baze

I'm sure the racists and PUMA radicals in her party will still throw a hissy fit and vote for HRC anyway. However, I'm not convinced they will vote for McCain. They're just using that as a threat in a ridiculous hail mary attempt to get HRC elected. Typical politics. Quite pathetic actually.

August 27, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. Teresa

I don't understand the PUMA term used. CHANGE is in interesting concept and the first CHANGE we as American's have seen is the CHANGE in party affiliations. As a predominently democratic voter I do not view myself as a democrat. Change is more people viewing themselves as independents free to choose any candidate that meets THEIR own priorities and/or needs. As much as I wanted Hillary to be president and now am left with two candidates. I have the utmost respect and always will for Hillary. America's loss!

August 27, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. ShuteD

To all Hillary supporters who either plan to vote for McCain or stay home on election night:
    Did you actually hear her speech last night at the convention? Were you in it just for her, or for America? In the next four years...
    – TWO Supreme Court justices will be replaced. Do you want another two like Clarence Thomas? Then stay home or vote McCain
    – America's role in Iraq will be decided. Do you want thousands more Americans dying there for another 20 years? Then stay home or vote McCain
    – The economy will recover or will tank completely. Do you want you home to be worth less? Do you want more jobs outsourced? Then stay home or vote McCain, who by the way thinks 5 million a year makes you rich and who doesn't know how many homes he owns.

If you choose not to vote in November, or to vote McCain out of bitterness, you are cutting your nose of to spite your face. And you will have nobody to blame but yourselves for prolonging the disaster George Bush jr. has created in the past 8 years.

And by the way, if your strategy is vote McCain now so Hillary can run in 2012, you had better be careful. If Butterfly ballots can put George jr. in the white house for 8 years, then your "strategy" can put McCain in the White house for 8 years also.

Obama/Biden in 08!

August 27, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  6. Kevin

I voted for Hillary and now have concerns about Obama. I thought about McCain, but now will finally write Mrs. Clinton,s name as a write in. It makes sense. I can live with that.
    Kevin
    Enfield, CT

August 27, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. Franky

Being raised in Canada, and now living in California, I can clearly say without a doubt, that most born americans are racist and uneducated. If Obama loses this election after all we have been through in the last eight years then my point will have been proven. I will apologize in november to all you born americans if Obama wins, but knowing you dummies, i'm sure mccain will win because he will tell you that we will be invaded by the russians.

lol

give me a break !!

August 27, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  8. Keith

Delegates, stand up for your rights. Vote your minds. Don't cowtail to the party bosses.

We, the citizens of the USA, deserve to have our voices heard.

August 27, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. Will

Well, her speech proved it, anybody who would vote for McCain after claiming they voted for Hillary is a republican plant. Because if you really loved Hillary, and really respected her wishes, you would do as the great woman asked you to do.

August 27, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. Xango 08 & 12

does she think this is Egypt in the year II or what

she sees people as her servants with no brain

she is feels so entitled

I say I release you clintons get away from the US and AMerica as far away as possible

NO MORE DYNASTIES

August 27, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  11. Glennis, PA

By saying she's not telling her delegates what to do, she sure leaves some questions. Is she speaking in code now? I'm kidding, ....but maybe not.

August 27, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. Minnesota against Johnny McSame

One House One Spouse – Obama / Biden 08

August 27, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  13. Denise

Sad! What planet have these people been living on for the past 7 or 8 weeks? They knew this day wa coming!

August 27, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  14. formerGOP

Good Girl

August 27, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  15. Souza

I wish all the delegates and more voted for her tonight. Then we would have a real leader.
    You sounded like a President to me last night.
    Go Hillary!!!

August 27, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. knowing

Dear Hillary supporters,

I'm netiher a Hillary or Barack supporter (still undecided) but I have a question. Can someone PLEASE outline exactly what experience Hillary has. I live in New York and don't know anyone who can recount one thing she has accomplished as our junior Senator. I remember her campaigning under a promise to create more jobs in upstate New York but never followed through.

Not being annoying, just trying to become more educated. Thanks!

August 27, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  17. D&D

You did the right thing mom, thank you and congratulations for you have accomplished.

August 27, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. Matt

Bacause of the PUMAs, I will never entertain the idea of a woman being president again. Why? So we have to put up with the shrill cawing from her supporters and charges of sexism if the world doesn't bow down to her? Hillary was a great candidate, and even though I don't appreciate the way she campaigned, I still would have voted for her if Obama lost the primary.

Just say it: You're mad because a black person may be president before a woman.

Admit it.

August 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  19. Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter

No Way, No How, Nobama!

Catchy, isn't it?

After watching Obama and his followers in action, I'm sure Chelsea Clinton wouldn't be caught dead doing anything in Democratic politics.

I love the holier than thou lectures above. "Don't let bitterness and hate..." "She finally did the right thing..."

Same old condescending arrogance that Obama inspires, even after Hillary gave a wonderful speech, the likes of which no other losing candidate would ever even contemplate. Still, we heard, "she didn't make the case for Obama's ability in international issues."

I say, Obama, make your own case. Stop relying on bullying and threats to get your betters to do your job! And try to give a straight answer instead of fumbling around, if you can. What was it you said, the tough question was "above your pay grade."

Give me a break!

I can't wait to vote AGAINST Obama and the DNC. But you can bet I won't fail to vote. That's what The One wants. No. I will vote for John McCain.

And I will do so proudly!

August 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. What a joke

None of you Obama supportes would be so forgiving if the shoe were on the other foot. Hiillary should be the nominee, but since she is not – then I will vote for McCain. To bad she released her delegates, she did not have to. Well – do you think she has done "enough" now for Mr. Obama the prince? Yuk

August 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  21. FES

HAVE ANY OF YOU HILLARY SUPPORTERS WHO VOW TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN BEEN LISTENING?!?! ARE YOU VOTING FOR HER OR THE CAUSE? YOU PEOPLE ARE SO HATEFUL THAT YOU WILL THROW YOUR VOTE INTO A COLUMN THAT WILL MOST DEFINITELY CONTINUE TO HURT THIS COUNTRY AND IT'S ECONOMY!! WHEN YOU ALL LOSE YOUR JOBS MAYBE THEN YOU WILL THINK TWICE BUT MAYBE THEN IT WILL BE TOO LATE. YOU WANT FOUR MORE YEARS OF BUSH JUST TO PROVE A POINT?! SICK! REALLY SICK!

August 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  22. Jeanne Beans

I also do not agree that Obama owes Hillary anything...just because she's come forward to endorse him and work for him. She is the one who screwed things up by running a negative campaign launched at him. It's her mess and she SHOULD help clean it up–but CAN she?

August 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  23. Joe Cheesehead, WI

Even Hillary is going to cast her delegate vote for Obama. Now that is gracious, only issue I have is why this didn’t happen 3 months ago? The wounds will have healed by now. Oh I forget Hillary wanted one of those moments like in a war movie with a wounded soldier saying at the end “go, go on without me”.

Enough CNN. You have killed the horse, bitten it to a pulp, revived it, and now it doesn’t look like a horse anymore. I think who ever breathed life back into it made it into a cat that now has nine lives and will never die.

August 27, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  24. Harry

To 'Hillary Supporter now for McCain:
    The DNC SHOULD NOT HAVE THE POWER to pick a candidate. We, the people, should have that right!
    We the people DID pick Obama!!!!!
    To all the people who talk about Obama's 'inexperience'. Abraham had even less experience. Most of the country did not want him elected. Now he is considered one of our greatest presidents. You cannot always go by experience. And Obama's greatness (or lack of) won't be known until after he finishes his 2 terms.
    Obama/Biden 08

August 27, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. Citizen Watch

Obama supporters are fools. Their rancor has made it very difficult for Hillary supporters to confidently move to Obama. I keep checking these blogs to see if their tone has changed, and it hasn't. I really wanted to vote my party affiliation, but I have pretty much decided to vote for McCain because I do not want to deal with the identity politics (generational ones, for the most part) that an Obama presidency represents. Again, Obama supporters could have played this election cycle so differently. If they had, Hillary's supporters would not be so reluctant. The Clintons bear no responsibility if Obama fails. His supporters are the ones who I hold responsible.

August 27, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |