August 27th, 2008

Clinton: I release you as my delegates

Hillary Clinton said Tuesday night that she thinks Democrats will leave Denver united.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton released her delegates Wednesday, allowing those who had pledged to vote for her to choose whomever they please, presumably Sen. Barack Obama, in a roll call vote later today.

"I am here today to release you as my delegates," Clinton told them in a packed ballroom at the Denver Convention Center. "What is so important is that at the end of today we will nominate Barack Obama and Joe Biden as the president and vice president of the United States."

Watch: Clinton releases her delegates

The mood in the ballroom was largely one of resignation, with a brief flash of emotion: when Clinton told the crowd of her decision, some in the audience shouted “No!” Others booed. The senator just smiled and waited for them to finish, then continued her speech.

While Clinton said she wasn't telling her delegates what to do, she reinforced her commitment: "I signed my ballot this morning for Senator Obama"

At the event, Clinton confirmed that her staff has been cooperating and discussing how to have a unified convention with the Obama campaign.

“This was such a competitive primary season,” Clinton told her delegates. “I want you to know this has been a joy. Yes we didn't make it but boy did we have a good time trying.”

Clinton engaged in a bitter primary battle with Obama until the last contest in June before conceding. On Tuesday night, she delivered a headline address to the party’s convention in Denver, which was intended to heal any rift that the contentious campaign had caused.

“I believe that as Democrats and as Americans we will leave Denver united,” she said on Wednesday.

Clinton told the delegation that she had waited to address them in one place so she could address them all before releasing them.

She also took the opportunity to take a swipe at the opposition party, telling her supporters that Republicans “should apologize to the country.”

Full story

1. Realistic

It is up to the leadership to bring unity. If Obama is not able to bring unity to the Democratic Party it is his fault and shows lack of leadership and judgement. Shame on so many of you Obama fans for your horrible disrespect for a past President and current Senator. This is one of the many reasons Obama will lose. If Obama loses it is no ones fault but his own period!

August 27, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. vINCe

For all you Hillary supporters waiting for 2012.......I CAN'T WAIT TO GIVE YOU PAYBACK IF OBAMA LOSES THIS ELECTION!! THERE IS NO WAY HILLARY WILL WIN IN 2012 IF OBAMA LOSES THIS YEAR....THAT'S A PROMISE..YOU WILL SEE A TIDE AGAINST HER LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE......NO OBAMA......NO HILLARY!!!!

August 27, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  3. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

in the end you have to decide if you are a Democrat or if you are a Republican; if you are to the right of Sen. Obama then vote for Sen. McCain. if you are towards the center and the left then look closer at him to tell you what he is going to do. I love Sen. Clinton; I believe her speech last night was a "Grand Slam" and I believe she is one of the finest politicians this country has to offer. she did not make it and as she put it; the fight goes on; we must keep moving, if we want to taste freedom we must keep going.

August 27, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  4. Latinos for Obama/Biden

Hillary has shown America what a TRUE DEMOCRAT really is. Hopefully her loyalists will do the same.

Thank you Hillary!

August 27, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. Ed

The Republicans should apologize?? The DNC, Obama and his thug supporters should apologize... to Hillary!!

McCain 08
    Hillary 12

August 27, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  6. JJ in NY

How ironic ! I think the clintons should apologize to this country .

August 27, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  7. Dee-Ga

My first choice was Hillary and my second choice was McCain as an independant. I don't know how you Obamanites can expect us to roll over and vote for Obama when he was never a choice for us. Check out his lack of resume to be a president. The Dnc, Polosi, Dean, Brazille, Obama, his wife and all of you supporters have no one to blame but yourselves for picking the wrong candidate and bashing Bill, Hillary, and her supporters the entire primary.

August 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. Chi4Obama

P.U.M.A = PEOPLE UNDER MCCAIN'S AUTHORITY.

August 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  9. Douglas, Los Angeles California

I see Hillary people are still upset. But if Obama loses this election, it will be because of what they've done to this party. If we lose, don't expect another Democratic in the White house for the next 12 years because Hillary will not win in 2012, as you all say, because you all need Obama's 18 million votes to make it happen.

When the Supreme court become ultra right-wing and women lose their rights to chose, don't come crying to the people who are trying to get a Democratic in the House house for 2008.

What a shame you are all making of this party.

August 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  10. Chris

Republicans “should apologize to the country.”

hahahaha! I hope she gets a GREAT cabinet position!!

Obama '08

August 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  11. Chi4Obama

To the true Hillary Supporters:

A VOTE 4 MCCAIN = A VOTE AGAINST HILLARY.

We can't have 4 more years of the same nonsense. Let's unite for the good of America.

Democrats '08 and beyond.

August 27, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. Stephina

Hillary owed the DNC nothing. They treated her shamefully!!! They are nothing but a bunch of sexists.

I sure hope Hillary got her debt paid for appearing at the convention. because she and Bill owe the DNC NOTHING.

The DNC needs to be taught a lesson. Play sexist and you will simply loose again in November.

McCain in 2008.

August 27, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  13. Stephanie

There are two Democratic Parties. The Hillary Democrats and the Obama Democrats, and I am the former. I would rather see four years of McCain so that Hillary will run in 2012 than eight years of Obama. I have a long memory, and I will never forget the media bias against her and the mean and hostile Obama supporters toward her during the primaries. Nobama...no way.

August 27, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  14. Florida Gold

Way to go girl.That is to show real love for America

August 27, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. NEETU

IF WOMEN HAD WAIT FOR NEARLY A HUNDRED YEARS 88 TO BE EXACT TO SEE A WOMAN PRESIDENT WHAT IS 4 MORE YEARS OF WAITING......THAT IS NOTHING

AS I WATCHED HER LAST NIGHT TEARS IN MY EYES SAD AND DEPRESSED ALL I COULD THINK WAS YOU KNOW WHAT I KNOW SHE IS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY HER PARTY...BUT I CAN WAIT 4 MORE YEARS TO SEE HER BECOME THE PRESIDENT I HAVE PATIENCE AND SO DOES SO MANY OTHER WOMEN I KNOW HERE IN AMERICA AND WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD.

WE WILL WAIT WE WILL GET OUR MOMENT IN 2012 RISE WOMEN RISE
    RISE HILLARY RISE... WE WILL WAIT AND WE WILL KEEP GOING WE WILL NEVER GIVE UP

August 27, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  16. MARY

I think her face revealed that she's had a facelift. Boy she looked good on my High Definition t.v. I want the name of her plastic surgeon. Research that CNN.

August 27, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. Mike Dallas

PUMA's – If Hillary can get past the primary loss and now focus on the good of the country by supporting the Democratic platform, why can't you?

August 27, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. Jim

Maybe Bill Clinton should apologize for his behavior when leading this country and setting an example for all its citizens to follow as well.

August 27, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  19. cheryl

As a barak obama supporter I can say that I am SO PROUD of Hillary Clinton...I always knew she would do the right thing. As for CNN - YOU SUCK AS A NEWS SOURCE and I HOPE THAT NEXT WEEK, YOU GIVE MCCAIN and the REPUBLICANS THE SAME DIVISIVE CRAP that you have been feeding democrats all week.

For obama supporters still complaining about Hillary, you need to shut up. The women did a fantastic job last night. To her supporters who still refuse to support obama...how sad that - unlike your courageous leader - you can't put the party above yourselves.

OBAMA 08

August 27, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  20. Hillary's Speech Made John McCain President

MD In Georgia you are absolutely right. Not this vote nor my families nor my friends. You can take that to the bank.

As far as her delegates go, I for one, wanted a roll call to finally settle this once and for all and if she had lost-her supporters would know once and for all IT'S OVER!

August 27, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  21. DELIGATES VOTE CLINTON OR LOSE!

DELIGATES VOTE HILLARY OR THE NEO CONS WILL WIN!

IF OBAMA GETS NOMINATED IT WILL BE A RACE BETWEEN DUMB AND DUMBER!

BOTH ARE PRO ELECTRONIC SNOOPING WITH IS IN VIOLATION OF THE U.S CONSTITUTION! ALSO IN VIOLAATION OF OATH OF OFFICE!

BOTH ARE RECKLESS IN INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS AS DEMINSTRATED IN REGARDS TO THE GEORGA CRISIS! RUSSIA SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A KEY ALLIE FOR NATIONAL SECURITY MATTERS ENERGY, IRAN EXCT!

OBAMA IS AGAINST GUN RIGHTS! IN VIOLATION OF OATH OF OFFICE! MCCAIN IS A NUCLEAR CHEERLEADER AND OUR CHILDRENS CHILDREN WILL SUFFER IF ELECTED!

August 27, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  22. ClintonDem4Cynthia08

The speech did the job. Everyone at the convention is wondering if they backed the wrong person. Buyers remorse? Good thing most of the PUMAS are voting GREEN in 2008.
    GO CYNTHIA GO!!

August 27, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  23. Adam - Texas

Basically Obama is to blame when he loses in November....quit fishing for an excuse already (i.e. Hillary). He dug his own grave when he picked Biden who managed to bring a whopping 10k votes during the primary season. Talk about a coalition....

August 27, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  24. joan in Minnesota

To the DNC: Didn't your mother tell you to be careful what you wished for, it just might come true?

Hillary did everything you wanted and MORE, now he has to step up to the plate during his SERMON ON THE MOUNT tomorrow night. Problem is now he has to gravel to her or else he looks arrogant...oh that's right he is.

Hillary I was not in it for you, YOU WERE IN IT FOR ME!!!

August 27, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  25. justobserve

If every time we have an election and the loser of the nomination process refuse to support the nominee then Democratic party will be a loser. Remember when Bill Clinton won 43% in 1992? If his opponent's supporters did the same thing as Hill's supporters are doing now, Bill wouldn't have won in 1992.

August 27, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |