August 28th, 2008

Crowley: An all-star rollout for the convention's final session

DENVER (CNN) - It’s 4:15 Mountain Time — about four hours until Barack Obama’s speech — and Mile High Stadium is just beginning to fill up, although there are still lots of empty seats in the second and third tiers. It’s an all-star rollout for the last session of the convention. Iowa gymnast Shawn Johnson - who won the Olympic gold — made an appearance, and Jennifer Hudson of "Dream Girls" sang the National Anthem.

1. John

You guys can mock Obama's enthusiastic support all the way into wilderness where you're party and it's train-wreck management of the economy and foreign policy is headed. Claiming lots of enthusiastic support is a liability may work in the beltway where McSame exists, but the problem is, on election day all the mocking in the world won't keep those people away.

August 28, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  2. Arizona

I live in a small town where the people are so stupid. They complain all day that Obama is going to raise there taxes and not even one of them even makes enough to pay taxes. Only in America!

August 28, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  3. George

If Barack Obama wins the 2008 Presidential election he would have single-handily beat two Republicans Candidates in one year…John McCain and Ralph Nader. It’s funny how Nader always runs when the election is going to be close 2000 Bush vs. Gore, 2004 Bush vs. Kerry with the Republican winning by the slimmest margin on votes taken away from the Democratic candidate by Nader. I don’t want to see the candidates tax records, I want to see Nader’s voting records…

August 28, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  4. kwesi

Dems, please leave this blog for republicans... we are off to witness history. I hope there will be enough space now for all your hate-filled-"celebrity" comments. America is moving on fellows and we ain't got time for these losers... . I am glad I have joy and love in my heart. Republicans, a.k.a evangelicals...release your hate....HERE! Adios

August 28, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  5. dee

Obama is having it outdoors, in a stadium, so that WE can be part of history. Instead of leaving it indoors with only the "democratic convention people", he wants for ordinary americans to be able to hear him speak on this historic day. Even if you don't support Obama, saying that he is acting like a "rockstar" is foolish. i guess you must think John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King were also acting like "rockstars" when they wanted to have EVERYONE listen to their message.

August 28, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  6. MD in GA

You folks who thing Senator Obama is spending tax payers money need to remember that he opted out of public financing. Only a fraction of the money used to have his acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium came from the DNC.

The rest came from folks like me... Donating again real soon.

August 28, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  7. Michigan

Yahoo! Let's all cheer for 4 more years like the last. I want to be ignored and lied to some more. Four more years and I bet one future solution will be an option to be able to sell our houses to someone from the Middle East for a fair price. What the heck, they'll own our banks, so what's the difference? Now geez, I wonder why less and less women don't want to pro-create . Bush is leaving the White House making the future look so bright, and McCain, promises more of the same.

August 28, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  8. Jean

It is hard to understand why this is such an issue. I still say the media outlets have every thing to do with promoting these kinds of responses and playing them over and over.

If members of the media wanted to, they could present the facts and information that encourage profitable discussion and conservations .
    They have the power to shape the conversation.

August 28, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  9. Robert Wooller from Bradford, England, UK

I'd love to know how the DNC and the Democratic party as a whole is dealing with all this support. From reading and watching CNN.com, it seems the Democrats now look like they have annihilated the GOP. Put another way, it looks like the Democrats could be the biggest party in America by a huge margin over the Republicans. But with all this support, just how will the Dems deal with all this support without losing their nerve, because it is all too easy to do that when things appear to go your way? They mustn't let it go to their heads, or they could lose in November. I will sleep soundly when Obama is being inaugerated as president next January.

Obama 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  10. Sara

The Rush Limbaugh worshipers and Rovian McBush crews seem to be working overtime tonight on here – HA.

This is not a funeral to be held in a small parlor in the twin cities – this is a celebration of having a constitutional scholar, an intellect, a very thoughtful person, running to be our president.

NO MORE OAFS – we want our nation back, and that will take an intelligent leader that wants the best FOR US.

Obama/Biden '08

August 28, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  11. thomas

The acceptance speech from the first black nominee for president is certainly worth celebrating. The pageantry for Obahma tonight is fitting of the moment. Regardless of your political leanings American politics will cross a mile stone in Denver today and we all ought to be grateful that we are alive to see it. America is lucky to have a moment like this worth celebrating.

August 28, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  12. Dean A Lost Democrat?

I don't understand why the democratic party agreed to this bad Vega side show?? How is it going to help the homeless and poor if Obama tries to make himself out to be MLK , so much high drama!!!! He is worry more about his place in history then the job at hand?? What is wrong with you democrat people??? Makes me sick!!! I don't care were Obama tells us his plan for the future. I think were just going to vote for a Republicans Mr. McCain! My fellow dem. have lost thier mind?? P.s By the way I see on tv half the seats our empty??

August 28, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  13. CAROLYN

WE AMERICANS CAN COME TOGETHER, IT'S BEAUTIFUL TO SEE THE GREATNESS OF OUR COUNTRY, JUST PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!! AMERICANS. GOD BLESS AMERICA GO OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

August 28, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  14. TonyinKentucky

Whiny, hypocritical, Republicans.

We didn't here a peep out of you lowlife's four years ago when Bush accepted the nomination on a stage that looked like a mixture of The Parthenon, the bridge of the Starship Enteprise, and the Oval Office.

More evidence that Republicans are either stupid, evil, or recovering.

Which one fits you?

August 28, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  15. Northwood

MD in GA...you are wrong....50 million dollars of taxpayer money is being spent on security alone...thats from all of us...not just Obama supporters. This does not count the money that local taxpayers are shelling out for services...So Obama is using taxpayer money that could be used for better things..that said..the other side will do the same...but please don't paint Obama as a saint in this matter.

August 28, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  16. Chris - Hemet, Ca.

Lots of bloggers seem to be quite upset over Sen. Obama's popularity and the fact that his supporters really seem to like him. It was much the same with Kennedy and his "Camelot" years. Many of you are too young to know about that and that's OK, just don't get the impression that the fervor over Obama is something new, it isn't. It just hasn't happened in a long, long time.

August 28, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  17. Anna Gajar

The Clintons were exceptional in their support for Obama and in expressing their concern for the country.

I voted fpr Hillary and am still undecided about Obama although after the CLintons and others who have spiken at the convention I have sofened my position.

I am looking forward to Mr Obama's speach. I anticipate substance and not just change change change. For me he is on the line this evening.

August 28, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  18. Shannon

Sara, the GOP convention is being held in St Paul. Minneapolis and St Paul are two cities, St Paul is the capital of my state Minnesota. Please show some respect for Minnesota, why are Obama supporters so short on facts. I wonder Sara, can you tell us how Obama voted on any issue, lets say FISA, or how does he vote when it comes to a woman's right to choose, show us what an intelligent person you are, or can you just chant hope and change.

August 28, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

PLEASE DON'T CALL PEOPLE THAT DON'T SUPPORT OBAMA "OBAMA HATERS" CALL THEM "JEALOUS OBAMA HATERS".

August 28, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  20. AUC

I'd rather follow a "Rock Star" than think a rock would lead me!!!

You choose. For me and my family, and for the future of this great country built on the backs a American Indians, Slaves and poor whites who have more in common with us all than they'd like to admit it's Obama/Biden 08/12!!!

God bless America!!!

August 28, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  21. Earl, Manchester, Wa

Thank God ...Only one more week of listening to hypocrites full of themselves beseaching my vote when my vote doesn't count. Given that conventions are now a done deal prior to starting, I believe the candidates should fly the electoral college into Aspen for a weekend, ply them with booze while hustling then with their shtick and let them drop their vote in the ballot box prior to departure on Monday morning.

Just think of the dollars saved, no need for the pundits who know diddly, no need for the wall to wall coverage, we actualy get real news. But most of all Tv will resume its normal schedule.

I hope the social engineers can equal the Bushy's enthusiam 2 years into the next presidency.

August 28, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  22. THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE

Obama and the Demorcrats does it bigger and better all the time. The stadium idea is a wonderful idea. Evertything to profection. Can you imagine a White house with Obama leading the Democrats. It is going to be a force to contend with. Just watch him.. America will never be the same with Barack as President. It is breathtaking.

August 28, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  23. Debbie - Arkansas

I'm wondering who the "surprise" guest might be??? The lineup so far, has been great! You know, I don't think the GOP(hers)...would know a 'star' if they saw one up close, or know what to say in good company...or how to be just a 'regular' American...get back down in the 'holes you've made in OUR ground!!!! We aim to reclaim the 'earth', this 'precious dirt', our forefathers claimed for U.S !!! We're taking it 'back to where it once belonged' !!!
    We're gonna get there with BA-ROCK OBAMA!!! That's right, he rocks, he's gonna be OUR 'rock'...remember how David slew 'the giant'...he threw 'rocks' at him...and down he came!!! Get ready people...this ride is just getting started...and 'it might be a bumpy ride'...but just throw up your hands...and enjoy...let's fly...all the way back to 'the HOUSE"!!

August 28, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  24. No Hillary = No Obama

What a spectacle – Obama needs the crowds, the adulation – what does that tell you about the person he is? MLK didn't need the adulation – MLK had a cause – Obama has oratory. How contrived is this nominee – very.

August 28, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  25. Jeff Brown

It's nice to see celebs involved in the Dem Convention. Who does the GOP have...Brooks and Dunn? Toby Keith? Arnold? SNORE>>>>>

August 28, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |