August 28th, 2008

Johns: A little like getting to the Super Bowl

ALT TEXT

CNN's Joe Johns reports that there are long lines to enter Invesco Field. (AP Photo)

DENVER (CNN) - There actually appear to be a couple of lines leading in different directiions to Invesco field. The line we walked has to be a couple miles long up to the point we are now. Some police officers told us it is six miles long, but it snakes and undulates, making it quite difficult to judge.

It moves rapidly across the Auraria Blvd overpass then slows down once you get to the other side, just a continuous stream of people walking across a bridge on the boulevard near here. From the way they are dressed really a collection of every type of person, from working class people in blue collar uniforms to men in suits and women in high heels.

It’s warm out, and people who aren't in the greatest shape are naturally huffing and puffing a bit. I taked to one guy who said this is a little like getting to the Super Bowl — which seems about right. That’s another national special security event, like the convention.

1. No Thanks, McCain!

Just heard on CNN that the line to get into the stadium was SIX miles long! McCain would never get this enthusiasm!

August 28, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  2. D&D

I guess everyone on that long line wants to be part of history so that he/she can say on day "I was there"!

August 28, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  3. ALLAN USA

It's make me sick to watch this HOLYWOOD show . America need PRESIDENT, not rock star.

August 28, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  4. Shelly

I have to agree, I wish I was there as well.

This is history in the making.

Thank God for Obama !!!!

August 28, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  5. Lisa-Le

I Love it I wish I could be there to witness Hstory in te making God Bless you President oops! Obama! Take back this country and Live the Dream baby.

August 28, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  6. Ryan, Salt Lake City

Like the Super Bowl, it won't live up to the hype.

August 28, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. A Woman In California For Obama

Of course, only the very ignorant would chose not to be a part of such an historical event. I AM REALLY PROUD OF AMERICA tonight. History is being made and WE ARE ALL part of it. It's up to you how you roll with it.

Thank you.

August 28, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  8. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Hey McCain! This ain't no BINGO HALL!

August 28, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  9. Lovely in VA

Do you think it is a coincidence that the line to get OUT of McCain's party will also be 6 miles long?? heheheeeeehhheeeeee........

August 28, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. Sara

Allan – Obama's a constitutional scholar – not some idiot like the one that wants to veto beer

August 28, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  11. 40 years and waiting

The struggle will soon be over!

August 28, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  12. sue

C-SPAN's showing the stadium right now, looks like one of those huge charity rock concerts. Seems like fun, the problem will be getting all those people to vote in November, and try to outnumber all the other voters who are 1. voting Republican, 2. voting against Obama because he's black, 3. voting against Obama because he isn't HIllary, and 4. voting against Obama because he didn't pick Hillary as VP.

I'm guessing the winner will be McCain, 65% – 35%.

August 28, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  13. Sara

Wow – look at all those people waving flags and cheering -

Obama/Biden '08

(Watch CSPAN – no commercials)

August 28, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  14. Jenn

why are you all obsessed with how many people Obama can draw
    I be more concerned with the cult like appeal he has

the show being put on turns my stomach, if he wants to be judge on merit this was not the way to go

August 28, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  15. Grandma

Thsi certainly looks like one big security risk to me. Please don't tell me that Homeland Sec. has it all under control. I don't buy it.

August 28, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  16. Dean

Beware the campaign staffers hammering away on their laptops! If you weren't informed, you would think all of these comments on the blogs are actually just involved citizens. The marketing mavens in the campaigns, and in the media have got you figured out America. You've been pwned!

August 28, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Obama/Biden Good choice

It tickles me that alot of Republicans trying to fool someone into thinking that are angry democrats and threaten to vote for Mccain. We all know you are true republicans under false pretents. I use the name (Republican on the fence) just so I could get a comment on a page twice. So please no one cares that you are a Dem(REPUBLICAN)
    claiming to be upset at someone trying to change the world. No one is acting like a messiah, but it tickles me to see the Mccain bunch is getting scared so the only thing they can do is lash out at us real democrats like their master Mccain. Remember One nation under God, Not One nation for the rich, One nation for the Poor, Not one nation for the blacks, Not One nation for the white, even though some might like that please people time is short.

August 28, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I JUST TEXTED "DNC 62262" AND WITHIN 15 MIN. RECEIVED A REPLY FROM OBAMA THANKING ME WHICH MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M RIGHT THERE. OBAMA ALL THE WAY.

August 28, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  19. fashionboyny

This man has a plan, and it seems that Bush/McCain is already using some of his ideas, i.e. Afghanistan, and wanting to be diplomatic now and talk to some of the leaders of rebellious nations!! People get real this man has vision and a purpose, unlike McCain, who continues to run negative ads. What is McCain's vision?

August 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Peter of Oregon

Us Americans love Barack Obama. He is a true leader. That's why we follow him.

McCain may have been a good soldier, but he's no leader.

August 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  21. Sara

Jenn – we're all Americans with a common purpose – to take our country back for US. We're not a cult. We are tired of the old white dictators keeping us down.

Obama/Biden '08

August 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. AUC

My Dad and my Mom are watching from heaven right now and they are proud!!!!!! God is good and he will take care of His own. Get on board or get out of the way........

God Bless America!!!

And God Bless Barack and Joe Biden 08/12

August 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. PKS

Ana-Advise your family not to have such large family gatherings and your problem would be solved. I don't think it's against the law,though.....

August 28, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  24. Debbie - Arkansas

I'm afraid I'd be one of those'huffers and puffers' trying to make it through the line...I have a permanent back/nerve injury...oh but I think I might TRY to make it...might have to settle on a chair on somebody's lawn...maybe those people who are selling $60 parking spaces...would sell me a spot for a chair! Whatever, I know it's a night to remember for US...and that is U.S.!!!! God Bless!!

August 28, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  25. jeanette

Thank you CNN for having fewer haters on your panel tonight.
    Can't we at least have one night, this historic night, without all the hate spewing from some of your panel?

I love Wolf Blitzer and Jack Cafferty – can't you find more like them?

Anyway, thanks!