August 28th, 2008

Scenes from the Trail: The line starts early at Invesco

ALT TEXT

The lines were long early in the day to get into Invesco Field (Mathieu Young/CNN)

Denver (CNN) - Charlie Dominguez is spending his 47th birthday standing in line at Invesco Field hoping he will be able to count a ticket to Sen. Barack Obama's Thursday night acceptance speech among his birthday gifts.

"It's just to be close," Dominguez said. "Everybody's electrified. I want a chance for the glimpse, ya know?"

Dominguez, who hails from traditionally-red Kansas, said he was always a registered Republican until this year when he switched his registration to Democratic.

Watch live shots of Invesco Field on CNN.com/live!

A few ticket-holders and would-be attendees arrived at Invesco Field by 9 a.m. By noon, the line for entrance included roughly a thousand people, a reporter estimated.

The campaign expects roughly 75,000 people in attendance when Obama officially accepts the Democratic presidential nomination.

1. Ken in Dallas

I hope Obama jumps on the McCain team's egregiously stupid announcement that everybody in the US has health insurance by means of abusing hospital emergency rooms. They're trying to float the proposition that health care isn't a real issue, and the Democrats should crush them for it.

August 28, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. Spencer, Newport News, VA

McCain supporters can't even fill up a football field. Early signs of a landslide in November.

Obama/Biden 08

August 28, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. Jim

Mccain's response to his advisors health care proposal.

Hey back in prison Mccain had no ER room. My friends, it's ok, I've felt your pain, I was captured once, now I am rich. I was against Bush's tax cuts once, now I am rich though, and so are my kids, so hey, the less people recieving healthcare, the less the line for me and my family. My friends, you will be rich someday soon too, hang in there, let me and my advisors set you on the right course my friends. I am a POW.

August 28, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  4. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

McCain's planned tactics tonight are pure Karl Rove!

Bill Maher said it best on Leno's show last night. Obama is a big star, causing a lot of interest and excitement and playing a huge outdoor venue. McCain is a lounge act with Gary Puckett & The Union Gap opening for him!

Well said!!!

August 28, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  5. Peter from Michigan

well there's ONE reason I can think of that McWar will win this election:
    Isn't 2012 supposed to be "the endof the world as me know it lol"? If that's true than McSame WOULD BE poised to win. And a lot of those "born again err..christians" in our neighborhood are aching for it anyway.
    I am sure McShame would lead us there just in time.

August 28, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  6. Obama08

Have the talking heads arrived so they can blither on during the speeches and performances?? CNN's coverage of this campaign has been horrible. When was it more important to hear what a bunch of overpaid talking heads think rather than letting voters actually hear the speeches?? Way too much subjective media interference in this election.

Instead why don't you go out and do some objective reporting on where the candidates stand on the issues instead of whining and complaining that the public doesn't know where they stand??

PBS and CSPAN are the only way to watch it unencumbered with the silly, outdated, pompous CNN staff!!

August 28, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. Ray

I'm proud of America! We have come a long way

August 28, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. Arkansas Undertaker

I pray that God will Bless and protect the Obamas and the Bidens in this election cycle and many years to come.

I know that this speech will be one for the history books. this is going to be an electrifying night!!!

Lord this is our time!!!!!!

God Bless Barack Obama and Joe Biden and God Bless the United States of America.

August 28, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  9. elizabeth

History has been made. Let's get behind Obama, so history will be made again when he is elected president.America has come a long way.

August 28, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. CR

Isn't great when the AMERICAN PEOPLE are participating in the process - engaged, active as democracy intended. The people are the power.

August 28, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. Kelby from Houston, TX

this is so exciting. From slaves to leaders of the free world.

August 28, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  12. CM

I'm starting to get excited.

After tonight I hope the Dems take note of the Republican pot shots throughout their convention and respond tenfold next week.

August 28, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  13. jfs Memhis, Tn

This is HISTORY in the making !!! Unlike the Republican's... TONIGHT will go in the History books for the next 500 years. This will rank as one of the greatest moments in American History. We now need everyone's votes in Nov. YES WE CAN !!! WE all hear the needs and desperation of our American Family. We are one !!!

August 28, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  14. phoner

All this excitement and over the top celebration will do nothing but make it worse when Obama loses. Do they think this partying makes a difference? The only people who go to these things or watch it all on TV are people who knew they were going to vote for a Democrat months ago. It's a shame to see money wasted like this.

August 28, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. jason, tx

awesome! I can't wait to watch the speech tonight. It's going to be historic!

August 28, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. Lourdes

Skip cable news channels and ignore McCain's "historic" ad....he is such a jerk to outstage Obama on such a historic day in American history. What an irreverent "patriot" he is.

Watch CSPAN

ps- dare to post me, CNN!! Nothing offensive here, just the truth.

August 28, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Tess

I only hope for america this smooth talker with no experience gets no farther than than this nomination. Really people sit down and look what he's done, the man is a wonderful speaker...thats about it.

August 28, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  18. Harold Rock

Four more years with McCAIN is IN VAIN, INSANE and will bring much more PAIN.

August 28, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  19. JJ

This is so exciting! Can't wait! :*)

August 28, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  20. JEALOUS

I wish I was there to watch it LIVE : (

August 28, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  21. judge huck

GET YOUR DVR READY....THIS IS HISTORIC!!!

It doesn't matter whether you are a republican or a democrat, you have to admit – noone thinks this will ever happen.. and might as well, never happen again.

August 28, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  22. PUMA 4 OBAMA

I really had to leave the health care post. I am not excited about OBAMA but I rather have health care than a wrist band. –

PUMAS UNITE

OBAMA THIS TIME

HILLARY / BILL 12

August 28, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  23. lol

superstar obama is using the same theatrical staging that britney spears uses when she is on tour. mccain was correct, he is the "one". maybe jlo, ben affleck, and oprah could sing a song too. this empty suit, thin resume, terrorist friendly excuse for a candidate is pathetic. can't wait till mccain wins!

August 28, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. bill

Obama supporters. I get you are excited. But I hope that the posts I see on these stories don't represent the true spirit of the majority of you. John McCain has a documented history of repeatedly standing by his convictions when to do so would hurt him physically or politcally.

Measure him up against Mr Obama and his record and what he has done in his life to match the rheteric you will hear tonight. If you still believe he is the best one to represent your values , great.

I for one hope that I will always be "connected" to the kind of courage John McCain has shown. But please, it really sickens me to hear the hateful words that berate someone who spent 5 yrs in a hell hole by choice out of love and honor for his country...our country... your country.

Bill