August 28th, 2008

Scenes from the Trail: The line starts early at Invesco

ALT TEXT

The lines were long early in the day to get into Invesco Field (Mathieu Young/CNN)

Denver (CNN) - Charlie Dominguez is spending his 47th birthday standing in line at Invesco Field hoping he will be able to count a ticket to Sen. Barack Obama's Thursday night acceptance speech among his birthday gifts.

"It's just to be close," Dominguez said. "Everybody's electrified. I want a chance for the glimpse, ya know?"

Dominguez, who hails from traditionally-red Kansas, said he was always a registered Republican until this year when he switched his registration to Democratic.

Watch live shots of Invesco Field on CNN.com/live!

A few ticket-holders and would-be attendees arrived at Invesco Field by 9 a.m. By noon, the line for entrance included roughly a thousand people, a reporter estimated.

The campaign expects roughly 75,000 people in attendance when Obama officially accepts the Democratic presidential nomination.

1. Tony

You think they'll have a shot from the Goodyear Blimp so they can get all of Obama's ego in frame at once?

August 28, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Nikki

I am so proud today. I wish my grandparents were alive to see how far we African Americans can really go. I really wish they were here with me in Denver to witness this with me. I know they are watching from the heavens and smiling brightly down on us as I lead my beautiful daughter through history in the making. God Bless America!!

August 28, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  3. Ex-clinton supporter

As a former Hillary supporter, I am re-energized about our party's chances. I think Obama will make an excellent President. George Washington, Lincoln, and Kennedy didn't have Presidential experience. And to be honest, what candidate truly is ready to be President. The Oval office is just one of those things a leader just needs the knack for...and Obama got it !

Obama '08

August 28, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. John in Lincoln

This is supposed to be the party and the candidate that is in touch with the average Jane and Joe? How do you run on the premis that the other guys are out of touch with the economic woes of middle America and yet put on the most extravagent convention spectacle of all time?

I'd laugh if it wasn't so darn sad.

August 28, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  5. American dream is alive and well!!

The American Dream is NOT dead after all!!! So proud of not just Obama, but to all of his loyal supporters. Say what you want about Hillary's speech the other night, but she was DEAD RIGHT when she asked her supporters if they were just supporting her or if they supported the CAUSE. We need to get America back on track – land of the free, home of the brave.

Everybody who's lucky enough to be at Invesco tonight, have a great time!! Wish I was there!!!

Obama-Biden '08 and '12

August 28, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. Beware of false prophets!

There's a rock concert tonight at Invesco Field in Denver featuring liberal goofball Bruce Springsteen and 1980's hair band, Bon Jovi. After some songs, the new messiah, Barack Obama, will speak.

BORING!

The easily led will be crying all night!

August 28, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  7. Gail

Story on the front page of CNN – Putin alledges US forced conflict between George and Russia to benefits a Presidential Candidate.

Well, remember when McCain and his side said it would benefits McCain is there was a major terror attack? Humm...sounds about right.

This is the kind of games the GOP play – not caring who gets hurt or even KILLED.

So glad Obama is gonna win in Nov. Go Obama!

August 28, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  8. LeRoy, Atlanta, GA

The Republican's don't have to lie or make up stories on Obama...THE TRUTH IS, HE'S INEXPERIENCED AND A SOCIALIST.

August 28, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Got MLK?

August 28, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. John in Binghamton NY

"working people" will not have their taxes increased. Get it right and stop spreading lies trolls. Only the rich will pay more.

If you think your best argument is that Obama is well liked and draws large crowds then you are in big trouble.

August 28, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. Kelby from Houston, TX

JohnBoy- We have experienced GOP rule for 8 years now. You had control of the house and lost it...Why? because the GOP sux that's why. They have had their chance with unprecedented power and access on all levels. It's time to give the samething to The Democratic party. We will clean up the mess you left behind and restore America to its former glory. No longer will we be hated around the world.

August 28, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  12. California Voter

I don't know about Greek columns on the stage, all the name entertainers, cell phone numbers and promise to work for the campaign sets, set in stadium - will this display get more voters to cast their ballot for Obama? Who is the real Barack Obama? I still don't know after almost an entire year of listening to him, his campaign, his surrogates, his wife, his children. Who was that man who spent 20 years attending services at a black liberation church? Is he the same one running for President?

August 28, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. Dandelion.

Put the healthcare gaffe on top of the ticker.

August 28, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Bruce

Let the light of a brighter day shine on all those that need to find their way

August 28, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  15. TESAP; SAVANNAH, GA

OH YEAH ITS NOT HISTORIC FOR MCCCAIN...RIGHT...HE VOTED AGAINST A KING HOLIDAY.............. WOW

🙂

POST THIS CNN.......... POST THIS............. THANK YOU

August 28, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  16. I'm from NC

I hope all the people who have written supportive comments about Obama here will support the next President no matter who it is. I'm sure it will be an entertaining show tonight so no worries there. Careful of the golden calf though there are no real answers, just a fun and entertaining spectacle. Please take it for what it is, no more no less.

August 28, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  17. ben

I wish Sammy Davis jr. could see this . Sammy was the most talented actor.singer dancer comedian in Hollywood. He was called the actor's actor. He was a black man invited to speak at onother democratic convention.. He was soundly booed. It broke his heart. Why was he booed? He had married a white woman!!!!!!
    What goes around comes around! I am thrilled the democrats have moved into the 21st century. I am not sure about the republicans

August 28, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. Sherry, Atlanta

A LOT OF REGISTERED REPUBLICANS, HAVE CROSSED OVER TO JOIN THE DEMOCRATIC FAMILY. . .WE WELCOME YOU!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08-'12

August 28, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  19. The Bush Twins : George and John

I'm an American living in Germany, due to the difference in time zones the conventions are broadcast between 1and 5 a.m. here. The first three days of the convention I've only been able to catch the last two hours. Tonight will be different, I'm staying up all night. I wouldn't miss this for the world.
    I wish CNN would keep the comments until after its over, I can't stand it when they feel they have to put in their two cents throughout. And I wouldn't put it past McBush to announce his VP right when Sen. Obama is speaking.

What an exciting night for our future president. God Bless you Sen. Obama

August 28, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Shari, NY

You are just jealous because your candidate will not attract the same amount of people. What is wrong with being exuberant about the politics of a nation? Public apathy needs to be kicked to the curb. I have not heard one statement from Sen. Obama which would suggest an ego trip. As a matter of fact, while the Republican kiddie camp behaves irrationally, Sen. Obama has been exercising restraint and the patience of Job.

August 28, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. Anonymous

Republicans are funny.

August 28, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  22. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

Will CNN be working just as hard to release McCain's VP pick early like they did Barack's choice?!?!?

August 28, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. R. Douglas

I VOTE FOR MICHELLE!!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  24. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

join the winning team!

BARACK THE VOTE!

August 28, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  25. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

McCain sold his soul to Karl Rove the true Anti-Christ!

August 28, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |