August 28th, 2008

Scenes from the Trail: The line starts early at Invesco

ALT TEXT

The lines were long early in the day to get into Invesco Field (Mathieu Young/CNN)

Denver (CNN) - Charlie Dominguez is spending his 47th birthday standing in line at Invesco Field hoping he will be able to count a ticket to Sen. Barack Obama's Thursday night acceptance speech among his birthday gifts.

"It's just to be close," Dominguez said. "Everybody's electrified. I want a chance for the glimpse, ya know?"

Dominguez, who hails from traditionally-red Kansas, said he was always a registered Republican until this year when he switched his registration to Democratic.

Watch live shots of Invesco Field on CNN.com/live!

A few ticket-holders and would-be attendees arrived at Invesco Field by 9 a.m. By noon, the line for entrance included roughly a thousand people, a reporter estimated.

The campaign expects roughly 75,000 people in attendance when Obama officially accepts the Democratic presidential nomination.

1. mona

Chris go to obama blog

August 28, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. 4 THE CONSTITUTION

As somebody who worked years inand ER I can tell you McCain"s- GO TO THE ER PLAN- it what a great deal of Americans have now! McSame NO HEALTH CARE plan!

August 28, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. The Bush Twins : George and John

Just a little FYI for those of you that can't figure it out :

The stage setting for tonight is not something from Ceaser and the Roman Empire. It represents the Lincoln Memorial where Dr. King gave a famous speech.
    You may have heard of it.

August 28, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  4. CC Atlanta

...and now that the war in Georgia was at the prodding of the White House to make John McCain look good – I think we can safely wrap up this year....

August 28, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I am looking forward to watching this tonight on C-Span or public
    television. I am just wondering if CMM hired all the folks from Fox Non-News to come work at CNN. You are printing any fluff you can just to keep McCain's name in the news, even when it is worthless. Your bias is strong, your reporting irrelevant.

August 28, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. TESAP; SAVANNAH, GA

THE MAVERICK IS TRYING TO DISTANCE HIMSELF FROM BUSH.
    NO WAY,NO HOW,NO GOOD JUDGEMENT,NO EXPERIENCE
    NO OBAMA.

MC CAIN /ROMNEY 2008

WELL ITS TOO LITTLE TOO LATE.. ROMNEY ARE YOU SERIOUS.... YESPLEASE LET IT BE ROMNEY...... IT WOULD BE CHRISTMAS FOR DEMS............ LOL

August 28, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. chitowngal07

I understand the comparisson to MLK however I think Mr. Obama is short on that comparisson. Yes he is an intelligent African-American man however he is no MLK. MLK was not a politician he fought for the rights of others, he inspired people in a peaceful loving way. MLK wa a selfless individual who wanted to change the world with his peaceful demonstrations and who dreamed that one day people would stop vickering about race. I do not agree that Obama is at that level. He plays politics just like any other politician and what he does is for his own selfish good. That is so wrong to have people compare him to MLK.

August 28, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  8. Michael

I have a mixed prespective on tonight.

I am thrilled that an African American has risen to this level in America. I hope whether Obama wins or loses the general election that all African Americans are lifted up. This is a reason to celebrate, all Americans of all races and Democrats and Republicans alike.

But on the issues I am a Republican. As far as the election and and my vote is concerned, Obama is just another liberal Democrat running for president. So I will vote for McCain. I am 50 years old and have voted for a Republican in every election and I don't excpect that to ever change. I've never chosen my friends based on race or political affiliation. So please, don't call those of us a racist that vote McCain on the issues. That can only serve to destroy what Obama has accomplished.

August 28, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. Deb

McSame can't even come up with his own ideas to announce his VP selection. Is he also going to text his supporters? He tried to do it last night but guess what...it did not work. The right person will get elected. Obama will be our next president.

August 28, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. Tony

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Better watch out for McCain's big bad exciting and unprecedented ad this evening. A real shame that the only people who will see it are the republicans. Everyone else will be watching Obama!

Earth to McBush...come in McBush...over!

August 28, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. Tonya, Richmond, VA

McCain's camp stays throwing out nasty ads because they know their boat is starting to sink and they have to do EVERYTHING OR ANYTHING in their power to sway our decision NOT to vote for Obama.

DAH WELL IT AINT HAPPENING!

August 28, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. Bruce

don't Let McCain darken the bright future with lies

August 28, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  13. A perfect day :)

Weather for Denver, CO 74°F
    Current:Clear
    Wind: SE at 2 mph
    Humidity: 18%

August 28, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  14. V

He is using the show to distract everyone from the fact that he is unfit to be president.

Everyone keeps lauding his judgment because of the war, but the reality is that he would be against any military action, ever, under any circumstances. He just got lucky with Iraq because it eventually became unpopular.

Wake up, people. He is capitalizing on people's hope for change only because he looks different from the other candidates. His politics are a lot of the same that we've seen. He didn't change anything in Chicago and he certainly didn't accomplish anything in the Senate, except for writing a book.

August 28, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  15. Veterans For Obama/Biden

Nothing "exciting" ever comes out of the McCain camp.....Last time they were excited their was a early bird special on Cod at Libby's Diner.

August 28, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  16. Zeke

ABOUT THOSE (IONIC?) COLUMNS
    The convention has been rife with symbolism. Hillary's Harriet Tubman story was probably best. The Greek columns are a symbolic reference to the fact that Greece is the cradle of democracy and that the United States of America is an important part of that democratic legacy. The 80,000 participants re-emphasize the democratic nature of the event. The republicans couldn't generate such a gathering; they are reduced to ridiculing it.
    A historic event deserves a historic setting.

August 28, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  17. Richard in Atlanta

I know that this is an election campaign but I would hope that Mr. McCain understands the historical importance of this day as well as the symbolism it holds for many Americans. Even though McCain did not readily agree that MLK should have a Holiday, I hope he allows those of us who have fought against the evils of the past, time to reflect and embrace such an incredible moment. It would be extremely disrespectful to those who dreamed of this time – a time when America shows the world that in our country, anything is possible. Only in America could things change in one generation. Mr. McCain, tonight, resist the temptation to be a Republican candidate and be what all of us are......AN AMERICAN!!!! God Bless America!

August 28, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. independent for obama

the beginning of the end for the the GOP nightmare of the last 8 years. re-instating our constitution and bill of rights will be exciting, when justice is brought to bear on their 'mistakes'.

August 28, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. maria levallois

I am voting for HILLARY !

August 28, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. Stop the Drama

I can't wait!!! GO OBAMA!!!

God keep him safe–

August 28, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Sue

What a wonderful night this will be as the Democrats help culminate this amazing week. cingratulations to the delgates, you did wonderful !

August 28, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. No Obama 08

I'm sure his speech will be like all the rest he's given: vague and empty, appealing only to emotion and the naive dems clueless enough to listen to him.

I don't need to listen to "Hussein" Obama, I know enough about him to know he's dangerous, and he's only where he's at because of his color.

August 28, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. TESAP; SAVANNAH, GA

TO BE PRESIDENT OF WHAT MARIA???

August 28, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. Cathy

McCain and all the republicans can criticize Obama all he wants in regards to his big event tonight but tonight is an historic night for every American!!! This is a night I thought I would NEVER see in my life time. I think it is absolutely wonderful that Obama wants to share this historic moment with his supporters. Why is it such a crime to really be really liked by your supporters???

So McCain, go ahead a release all the idiotic commericals you want. McCain will be luck if he can get 5000 to come to his rally tomorrow in Ohio.

August 28, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. Open Your 3rd Eye

I BELIEVE PUTIN 100%. WE ALREADY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE UP TO FROM THE BEGINNING. JOHN MCCAIN NEEDED A SCARE TACTIC AND THE WHITEHOUSE PROVIDED JUST THAT!!!!!!!

L.O.L.O.L.O.L.O.L.O.L.O.L.O.L.

OH, THIS ELECTION IS GONNA BE A BREEEEEZE.

August 28, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |