August 29th, 2008

McCain and Palin disagree on arctic drilling

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/29/art.ap.palin.vp.acceptance.jpg caption="Sarah Palin makes her first appearance as McCain's VP."]
DAYTON, Ohio (CNN) - The McCain-Palin bumper stickers are barely off the printers, but the presumptive GOP nominee and his newly tapped running mate already have at least one major policy disagreement.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is one of the nation’s strongest advocates for oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. John McCain opposes the idea, though he has carefully left the door open to changing his mind.

McCain hinted in June that he may re-evaluate his position on drilling in ANWR, saying that he would “go back and look at it again,” but he has since continued to cite environmental concerns as his primary reason for opposing drilling in the reserve.

Both Palin and McCain support offshore oil drilling.

In July, the Alaska governor told Human Events that she was planning to invite McCain to visit ANWR in Alaska in hopes of changing his position on the matter.

“We agreed to disagree,"” Palin said at the time, adding: “I am encouraged with his evolved thinking on offshore drilling, and I think he might come along on ANWR if he sees our 2,000 acres for himself.”

McCain told the Weekly Standard in early August that he had not yet consulted with Palin.

“I probably should,” he told the magazine. “I will.”

Now that Palin is hitting the campaign trail with McCain, they might finally have a chance to talk.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. victor,nj

I am watching her giving her speech. She looks so timid and fragile. Mccain blew it!!!!!! I cannot imagine her staring face to face against Iran and other nations.

August 29, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. Sam

Are you serious? MaCain is 73 years old. Are you leaving this lady to run this country if something happens to McCain? This is another bad judgement by McCain.

August 29, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  3. Pat from Cali

So they make a deal...be my token female VP and we won't drill offshore in your state.

She's under investigations for abusing her political power.

She's a deal maker..

August 29, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  4. PUMA IS A KARL ROVE DIRTY TRICK AND A MYTH..

She has held statewide office for 10 minutes....

and is ALREADY under investigation for corruption....

GREAT choice...

AWESOME...

she'll fit right IN with the washington republicans.....

HA!

c'mon cnn... its kinda early in the day for you to be banning me already

August 29, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. The Shepherd

Better to have an inexperienced vice president than an inexperienced president.

August 29, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  6. Sara

John's gambling again – shooting craps

She won't get the vote of the republican delegates to make her the official nominee – he will pick another. Probably mittens.

McCain just wants a subservient to get him nominated.

7. Steve - southern Illinois

How do you pick someone for VP who is under investigation for unjustly firing someone for personal reasons.

Country first? Looks to me more like do anything to get elected.

8. Raffi

What a joke of a pick for VP!!! And they want to talk about inexperience??? This chick has a Bachelor in Journalism…. That’s it!! Obviously, they’re just picking her because of her looks!! Boy, if this isn’t condescending to women, I don’t know what is!!

9. Any Woman Won't Do!

Ok I'm done laughing now it hurts. I just went back to see if I could find any other female republican governors and there were two: M. Jodi Rell of CT and Linda Lingle of HI. Now, they BOTH have almost 20 years of experience as mayors, state legislatures and Rell was Lt. Gov for 9 YEARS before she took over 4 years ago. Oh hate to tell you but neither of them are as pretty and one supports gay rights and the other is Jewish. Yeah, so much for being a party of mavericks! Here were two women who are WAY more qualified as Governors to be in that slot but I guess because they weren't 100% in line behind Mr. No Equal Pay. So I ask you this: What made his choose her instead of these women?

10. Pat Feeney

Oh goodie...a woman. But Palin is a combination of Phyllis Schafley and Annie Oakley, and will certainly not move this former Hillary supporter anywhere but more squarely in Barack Obama's camp. I may actually send Obama some money to beat this combo!

11. Gigi

Oh no. I am watching her acceptance speech and all I can think of is "disaster" . What were you thinking McCain? Palin over Romney?!
    Ughh.

12. Mace

Not to take anything away from Governor Palin's experiences and ability to lead (I know nothing about either), but this seems like McCain made a political choice for his VP pick and not a pragmatic one. If Obama purely sought votes, he could have picked Clinton and had at least 18 million more people solidly for him in November. Instead, he picked in Biden, someone who had renowned diplomatic and foreign policy credentials, to add to the strength of the Presidency and improve America's image abroad. McCain's choice seems like pure pandering to what the Republican's have been touting as "disenfranchised Hillary supporters". I don't want a President who manipulates the electorate simply to win an election or win on an issue. I want a President who will empower our country to live up to the high standards that our founding fathers set for us. I believe that person is Barack Obama and Barack only further solidified my choice with his speech last evening.

13. Dr. Rosen

Sarah Palin–she's scary. Her bio on the Alaska Governor's office website reads more like someone who just got a journalism job than the nod for VP:
    "Sarah Heath Palin arrived in Alaska with her family in 1964, when her parents came to teach school in Skagway. She received a bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987. Palin, who graduated from Wasilla High School in 1982, has lived in Skagway, Eagle River and Wasilla."

14. Dem

Picking Palin illustrates how McCain likes to ROLL THE DICE on a lot of things. I'm not willing to risk my future or my children's on a dice roll! Obama is slow to make decisions for a reason... thought out judgement!

15. Sara

Can Anybody Spell B O B B A R R ?

16. Jeffer65

She means McCain's flip-flopping. Seriously bad choice, John.

17. Joyce, ny

TALK ABOUT PANDERING TO HILARY'S SUPPORTERS. THIS IS NOTHING BUT AN INSULT. SHE IS NO HILARY BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION!!!!!!!!!!!

18. vic nashville,Tn

I am proud of You Mc Cain
    When I look at my daughter I am thinking about your choice
    Life long democrat and Hillary strong supporter will vote for Mc Cain
    Hillary 2012 /Mc Cain/Palin2008

19. jay

This is about the most stupid and undermining choice McSame could've made. Think Quayle, but with far less experience. I know a few soccer moms with great resumes, but they aren't remotely qualified to be President. Does he really think Hillary supporters are that stupid? Does he really think Palin can hold her own in a debate against Biden? Just... wow.

20. Marci

JEWISH WOMEN FOR OUR FELLOW JEWISH WOMAN – SARAH PALIN!

August 29, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. Carol, Michigan

Executive experience! One year isn't executive anything! Then top it off with the current investigation that could lead to her impeachment.

McCain, lack of judgment again.

August 29, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. Andy in DR from CA & NY

Just because she's a GOP and near our largest national oil reserve does not make her an energy expert. She is becoming seasoned and this experience on the ticket will raise her future profile, but she is not qualified to be one heartbeat away from the presidency. This is more a novelty act and, unfortuanately, the Governor is being used as a token tool of that effort. She deserves better by her party.

August 29, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  23. anonoymous

Here you go ladies, you wanted a woman for Pres / V.pres. so you got your wish now let's see you vote. Afterall it does not matter if you are dem. or rep. It is all about who can get the job done most effectively. The republicans are very strong in defending the safety of our country. That comes first without safety in our country we have no economy. Think about it and use your common sense.

August 29, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  24. Sue

Her husband works for BP. With all the oil money between her and McCain, they'll win this election in a walk.

August 29, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Tony

Funny how hippies and liberals don't want to drill in ANWR because it will supposedly destroy the environment (they don't actually have any facts to back this up, by the way), when Alaskans - who, ya know, LIVE THERE and would have to suffer the consequences of these supposed "ecological disasters" - think it's a great idea.

August 29, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |