August 29th, 2008

Minnesota governor suggests he's not McCain's VP pick

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/08/29/mccain.vp/art.pawlenty.gi.jpg caption="Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty suggested in a radio interview that he will not be McCain's VP pick."]
(CNN) - Sen. John McCain's campaign has told Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty he will not be the GOP vice presidential nominee in November, sources told CNN on Friday.

Pawlenty on Friday also told WCCO Radio in Minneapolis-St. Paul that he will not be in Dayton, Ohio, where the presumptive Republican presidential nominee is expected to unveil his choice of a running mate at a rally later Friday.

Plans reportedly are in place for the senator from Arizona to reveal his VP pick at a rally in Dayton, Ohio, on Friday, the day after Sen. Barack Obama formally accepted the Democratic presidential nomination.

The McCain campaign said it's hoping to have 15,000 people at the Ohio event, roughly five times the size of his largest crowd to date.

But Pawlenty on Friday told WCCO Radio in Minneapolis-St. Paul that he will not be in Dayton, suggesting that he will not be McCain's choice.

Full Story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Toni

Sources are saying that he may go with a female VP and I really hope he does, and not because I'm a woman.

I hope to God he does it, because it will be seen by every intelligent female voter for what it is: patronizing and condescending us as human beings, shutting us up and pacifying us...or at least attempting to.

I am not swayed by gender; I am swayed by issues.

Also, besides pissing off female voters who don't like having their intelligence insulted, he probably just lost the support of the ultra conservative base of his party.

WAY TO SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT, MCCAIN!

August 29, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  2. Bit/Alabama

Just read on the Huffington Post:

A Republican source confirms that John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate. Campaign officials, however, remain mum this morning.

August 29, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  3. Joe Cheesehead, WI

There is “Senator McCain” who most grew to like/love whatever suites you. For me his maverick stature is nothing but a myth.

Then there is “presidential candidate McCain” that we all have come to dislike. Why you ask? Plain and simple, the “straight talk express” had morphed into the “Straight Lie Express”.

Its sad to see McCain embrace the very painful tactics that Bush/Rove applied on him in 2000 and this has changed him from the proud public servant he was to this bitter and angry unsure person we see today who can barely speak his mind leave alone tell the truth of knowing how many houses he owns or whether truthfully he has picked a VP or not.

McCain you have failed the test because that is not the change we are looking for.

August 29, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  4. Art

If McCain's VP pick is 1st term, 44 year-old Alaska governor Palin, won't his campain have to abandon the "inexperience" argument against Obama? How prepared would she be to take on the role of Commander-in-Chief? Arguably less prepared than Obama.

August 29, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. JoJo in NE Ohio

I cannot agree with you more David as I waas moved by Obama's message and impressed with his grit. I would also like to commend you as the most openminded and fair analyst in the industry as you look at the issues with no prejudices or agendas.
    Thanks David

August 29, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  6. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

McCain's biggest decision awaits him. It is not Pawlenty, nor do I believe it will be Romney......and as far as Patlin is concern......it is not in his political profile to select a woman........which leaves only one person left.......his buddy......Ridge....... and that is going to seal his defeat.......sometimes no matter who we choose.......it is never the correct choice.

August 29, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. Veterans For Obama/Biden

Hillary voters...please show integrity in November. I must admit Bill, Hillary, and Chelsea have won back my respect. When Obama is President, Hillary should be the Secretary of state.

Don't be swayed by some Alaska nobody just because she is female.

The first female VP or President needs to be exceptional not lackluster. Please hold off for THE RIGHT CANDIDATE!

August 29, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  8. Democracynow2008

I think McCain would be smart to pick Joe Lieberman if I were in his shoes .
    Since I am a Democrat he can pick whomever he wants they are all losers but the big loser will be McCain in November.

August 29, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. NORA, FLORIDA

For McCain to pick a WOMAN as his VP should be an insult to the INTELLIGENCE of women who are looking to vote for him. How stupid does he thinks women are? Well on second thought if the poles are an indication then most Americans are losing it.

August 29, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  10. Tired of W, OH

It won't be Tom Ridge. He's pro-choice and the conservative base would never support him.

August 29, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  11. prab

pro-life power- Today i can say that it's a good thing that i brought my family to Canada instead of the USA. I really hope you guys the best, but with Mccain, you guys are nothing compared to us Canadians- It's true! i used to love your country before, but such discrimination and hatred- i've seen seen before in my live!

August 29, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  12. bert

CNN, is closing the Obama links early so that we can not support him with our post. They want McCNN's stories to fill up and distort the interest level of these post. Eight is enough for real.

August 29, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  13. Veterans For Obama/Biden

Brenda,

Why would you want more of the same???

August 29, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  14. Marge Hibbing Mn

He's going to pick the governor of Alaska, oh boy oh boy another nail in the political coffin of obama....she is smart, gets things done is cleaning up the mess the former bunch of crooks in Alaska have done AND THE DEMOCRATS IN ALASKA LOVE HER.

August 29, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  15. tony

Hey Sarah Palin –Big Oil–
    Now I understand why you need Barack as president-
    Hard working people who work for an industry that includes Oil–Envionment-Forestry, What else–
    She's married 5 kids-means you will continue looking for Gov't to help you out-
    Won't Happen–
    Get a Job–
    BTW-If it is Sarah Phalin–
    It is BRILLANT–
    Women and a reformer –who helped clean up Gov't –5 Kids –ACtual Executive Experience and not the same old politics that Barack picked and tried to sell that as Change–
    Thaty is laughable and insulting to intelligent people-
    CNN has not posted anything that I send in–
    I quess they don't like McCains side–
    It's OK we will make our splash at the polls–
    McCAIN / PALIN 08"

August 29, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  16. Neal in Houston

ABC has reported that Palin is in Anchorage. I am (at the moment) leaning towards Obama but I think the choice of Palin would be interesting and strategically good for the the McCain campaign. On the other hand, Palin is a human being and politician of utmost integrity. While not strong on the national stage, her efforts in Alaska provide evidence that she would fight for government corruption at all levels. Given that she rose in statewide prominence in Alaska by whistleblowing on Republicans, however, leads me to believe she may not ever make it to the national stage with the GOP. If it weren't for our partisan political machinery, she would make an impressive independent politician. If she is chosen by McCain (and the ABC report is misguided), I may have to reconsider for which side I will cast my vote.

August 29, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  17. Haley Rodman Clemson

I've been pushing for Palin all along. She is every bit as smart, eloquent and good looking as Obama but she doesn't have ties to known terrorists, radical religious leaders or political fixers. She has more time running a state than Obama does as a senator (I don't count time campaigning as actual senate work) and, like McCain, she has been pushing back on the Republican leadership on several issues.

Oh, and for those of you who are excited that Biden will rip her apart in a debate or in the media, beware! A mean, old white guy ripping into a beautiful, less-experienced woman on national tv or in the press is going to do Obama more harm than good.

August 29, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  18. John in Ohio

Palin is strongly pro-life and belongs to Feminists for Life.

With her and McCain in office, kiss Roe V Wade goodbye.

August 29, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  19. MARCOS MARIN

thank you for not putting my comment,it seems to me that you are fall in love with Obama...that why you did not put it..you acept only comment in favor of obama,but i dont care I KNOW THAT mCcAIN WILL BE PRESIDENT,NO MUSULM IN THIS COUNTRY.GO TO HELL CNN..

August 29, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  20. Tony

I don't know why her name hasn't been brought up in McCain's veep talks since people are making crazy suggestions like Hillary Clinton and Joe Leiberman, but I think Kathleen Sebelius would be a great pick for him if he wants to have a multi-party ticket. She's a Democrat in a decidedly Republican state who often has to cross party lines and compromise, and would probably sway the independent vote even further over to McCain.

I'm actually surprised that Obama didn't tap Sebelius for vice president, but I shouldn't be surprised since Obama's idea of compromise is "accept my radical liberal ideals or else you're a racist". So it makes sense that he chose the only senator who's more Socialist than he is

August 29, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  21. materry

Wow, America would looks so weak with an Elderly Pres! McCain for your own good don't get someone anywhere near your age, and don't get someone young enough to be your grandson. Please don't get someone that's worth twice as much as you and that would create a combined 11 houses total. Don't get someone that has to whisper in your ear to correct you 24/7. I'm sorry you have run out of options.....

August 29, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  22. Anonymous

Let's hear her accomplishments. Start with her City Council position.

August 29, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  23. Jeffrey

If Cain chooses Palin, that would be something. I agree I think Hillary supporters would be miffed, and be torn between making a little history of their own or supporting the principles behind their candidate of Hillary. I would hope this would drive them back to the Democratic Party in droves.

August 29, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  24. GT in CA

Please pick Mitt so the conservative Christians will stay away from the polls.

August 29, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. Kevin from MN

and, completely out of left field, the pick is: Fred Thompson

August 29, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |