[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/31/art.paul.gi.jpg caption="Ron Paul's rally will go on as scheduled, his campaign said."]
St. Paul, MINNESOTA (CNN) - The convention for former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul will go on as planned, the campaign said Sunday, despite the RNC’s decision to truncate their program.
With Hurricane Gustav approaching the Gulf Coast, Republicans announced that they would hold an abbreviated session Monday and determine the rest of the week’s schedule on a day-by-day basis.
Paul’s campaign said it decided to stick with their schedule because it didn’t want to have to turn down the 10,000 people expected to attend the three-day event.
The “Rally for the Republic” kicked off Sunday with a training class for those interested in learning the skills needed to be an activist, according to the convention’s Web site.
Monday’s schedule includes musical performances from Rockie Lynne‚ Aimee Allen‚ Mark Scibilia and Rick Ellis, and late-night speech by Paul.
The main event takes place Tuesday at the Target Center in Minneapolis. When planning for the event began earlier this year, it was originally scheduled to take place at the University of Minnesota, but due to a “strong initial response,” it was moved to The Target in Minneapolis, which can house up to 18,000 people.
Speakers Tuesday include NBC’s Tucker Carlson, former Minnesota Gov. Jesse and another appearance by Paul.
The rally will officially launch Paul’s new political action group: the “Campaign for Liberty.”
"The Rally for the Republic will send a powerful, positive message to the Republican Party that there is an army of grassroots activists across the country ready to work with them if steer back to their traditions of limited government and personal liberty," said Campaign for Liberty spokesman Jesse Benton.