September 2nd, 2008

McCain defends vetting of Palin

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/02/art.mccainpalin.ap.jpg caption="McCain is defending his choice of Palin."](CNN) - Presumptive Republican nominee John McCain defended his campaign's vetting of newly named VP candidate Sarah Palin Tuesday, amid a stream of revelations about the Alaska governor that could potentially harm the GOP presidential ticket.

"My vetting process was completely thorough and I'm grateful for the results," McCain told reporters in Philadelphia.

The comments come a day after Palin announced her 17-year-old daughter was pregnant and news surfaced the Alaska governor had hired a lawyer weeks ago to act on her behalf as state legislators investigate whether she may have abused her power in the firing of the state’s police chief for refusing to fire her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper.

Watch: McCain defends vetting process

Speaking on Fox News earlier Tuesday, former top Bush aide Karl Rove echoed McCain's comments that Palin was fully vetted.

"They knew all of it," Rove said of the recent revelations on Palin.

McCain has previously faced fire from Democrats over the fact the Arizona senator only met with Palin once in person before offering her the No. 2 slot on his ticket.

Related: Top Republicans defend Palin and vetting process

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters in Ohio Tuesday, McCain reiterated his support for Palin.

"I just want to repeat again how excited I am to have Sarah Palin, the great Governor of Alaska, as my running mate," he said. "America's excited and they're going to be even more excited once they see her tomorrow night. I'm very, very proud of the impression she's made on all of America and looking forward to serving with her."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Gerry

Regarding his choice of Sarah Palin for the vice presidential nomination, John McCain says that “My vetting process was completely thorough and I'm grateful for the results."

Now the real vetting begins as McCain staffers and the rest of the world press descend on Alaska to track down the truth.

One can hardly wait for the ‘next’ revelation.

McCain has proved one thing about being a maverick: his is not the personality type that is well suited to being the President of the United States.

September 2, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. Ryan

@David S.

Your missing the point. The reality is this all could of been avoided. This is not an attack on Palin's daughter. Is it ironic that a staunch supporter of abstinence in lieu of sex ed in school now finds her teen daughter pregnant, yes. But the bigger issue is McCain making this choice, knowing the scrutiny that this family would go through. We live in the age of tabloids and the media's constant invasion of privacy. McCain is the one that put this family on trial.

And please stop lumping pro-choice supporters into your arguments. I am pro-choice and do not support abortion as a form of birth control! I am the norm, not the exception.

September 2, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. Rusty

OK. Her daughter is off limits. Her husbands DUI is off limits. Can anyone that supports this choice really believe that we would be OK as a country is they win and McCain leaves to meet his maker in the first months of their term? She may be very nice. She may even agree with some of you about certain issues. She may even have been smart enough to go to the best schools but choose to get a BA from Utah and then stop her formal education. She may have felt that going overseas was not needed to make her worldly - who needs to be worldly anyway?

WHEN YOU ARE HONEST WITH YOURSELVES, CAN YOU REALLY IMAGINE THAT SHE COULD BE A GOOD PRESIDENT? Not grow into becoming a good President, but actually be one if we needed her early in her term?

I am no McCain fan, but I will pray for his continued health every day if she somehow becomes our VP.

September 2, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. euro

You! mccain guys are crazzy.

September 2, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. Gordo

I am male and the whole pro-life vs. pro-choice thing is not something that has any impact on my life. I really think the whole debate is a waste of energy. But, I am also a Liberal, and I believe that the right to make your own personal decisions is important, and I support that right in every case. I would not like for a young woman to be forced to have an abortion or forced to have a child by her parents or by her government.

Any young woman who makes her personal choice has a perfect right to do so, no matter which choice she makes. Any young woman who makes her personal choice does not owe any explanations to me, you, or anyone else on the planet. Her family has no obligation to explain anything about it either.

The phrase "Mind your own business!" comes to mind. I'm sure that the narrow-minded gossips who have had the nerve to post otherwise could look at their own families and find something else – something worthwhile – to do. Shame on you Vera, Old White Lady, Slimsistah, SAME OLD STUFF, EX Republican, and others.

September 2, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. SBAMA

Vetting Process

Rove: What about Palin?

McCain: She was against the Bridge to Nowhere.....

Rove: No John, she really was for it.

McCain: Well at least she has a perfect record of service

Rove: No John, she is under investigation for abusing her powers....

McCain: Well at least she has the experience

Rove: No John, she doesn't

McCain: Well what did Hutchison, Romney and Hucakbee say again?

Rove: They said no John..

McCain: Well she is a woman!

Rove: They are dumb enough to fall for that.

McCain: Ok she is it! What state is she from again? Do I have a house there?

September 2, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  7. NoBama

Obama's mother was quite pregnant (3 months) with Barak when she married his Kenyan father ....

Sarah Palin's daughter IS NOT running for VP. Leave her alone!

September 2, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Ryan

How long do you think it'll be before we here McCain say.... "I didn't need to do any vetting on Sarah Palin. I looked into her eyes and saw her soul."

September 2, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. Becky

Did McCain know that Sarah Palin tried to get BOOKS BANNED? Is he saying that he agrees with that, too? And what about Palin shooting wolves from the air? Or being part of a group once that tried to get Alaska separated from the rest of the "United" States? Is Palin for Alaska or for America?

September 2, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  10. Obama Supporter

McCryinShame,

You wasted the RNC's money, the GOP's money, and CenileCindy's money on your campaign. Your VP was the worst pick of the Century. All you Repubs are regretting you choose Johnny Jet McBlame to run our country. You Repubs are going to bite it for real if he wins.

September 2, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. Ex-clinton supporter

As a die hard Obama supporter, I don't mind McCain choosing a woman. That's not the issue. My issue with McCain is the way he selected his VP. Without proper vetting, you are bound to pull some skeletons out of a closet. It's not your fault Palin, its just McCain isn't qualified to be President.

What is even more scary is that if McCain takes office. His selection for Supreme Court will be even worst.

September 2, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. Ross

Wow! either McCain and his advisers are see something we are all missing or this pick for VP was just a slap in the face of the hard liners in his party who would not allow him to pick who he really wanted "Lieberman"

This is will be an interesting election!

Dems just do not take the bait keep taking the high road on this selection!

September 2, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. Bruce

Maybe Palin was too busy hunting and Fishing to be a GOOD MOTHER to her children and teach them GOOD FAMILY Values. Sex is fine but respnsibility is BETTER.

September 2, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. Andy

I'm a Democrat and will vote accordingly in November.

The only thing I can say is leave the bloody kid alone, and start focusing on real issues. The Republicans and their repressive, Stalinist approach to government have enough wrong with them that we don't need to start picking on kids to win.

Why we should expect Palin to have any sort of magical ability that can control teenagers is beyond me. If there's one thing I've learned from being a parent of teenagers is the best you can hope for is for them to listen to something you say, and hope the fallout from their rebellion isn't too damaging.

How this retarded society can believe that zero consequences for their actions for 18 years, no such thing as failing, trophies and straight A's for turning up can be fixed by parents is beyond me. I struggle with the damage schools do to my kids on a daily basis. Expecting politicians to have magic wands that can prevent teenagers from doing exactly what they want because of this damage is equally beyond me.

September 2, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Tiffany

This VP of Mccain is not the best choice. This VP choice have five childrens One of them has down syndrom. One of her children is Pregnant. Sarah Palin clearly need to focus on her family instead of running for VP

September 2, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. E. Pol

I give Palin credit for supporting her daughter in front of the nation and the way she has handled the situation. Of course, ideally a vice-president with a preganant teenage daughter will cause controversy but I give her props for continuing in her campaign. As a pro-life woman, she has obviously done a tremendous job in raising her daughter, showing in the decsion she has made concerning her pregnancy. Just the mere fact that she has chosen to bring that baby into this world, shows that she is up for the challenge in facing society and battling all of the criticizisms she and her family will be recieving. Also, that she is taking responsibility for her actions and mistakes.

September 2, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. Kobe

Nice one Sbama!

September 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Linda, Brampton Ontario Canada

McCain's choice for VP running mate has made the Republican Party come to life. I like her and she complements McCain. All the negativity out there is coming from the Democratic Party not the Republicans. They are more united than ever.

Why doesn't everybody just give her a chance and get to know her a bit before being so negative? McCain has a proven record, let's trust his judgement.

By the way – Canada is a foreign country – and she has policy experience with us here in the great white north!!!

Thanks!
    Linda

September 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Ben

Sounds like his in love with Palin...!

September 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  20. Joe

The McCain has two choices ... neither of which is good.

Either they have to admit that Governor Palin was not sufficiently vetted. Otherwise, they have to admit that she was vetted and that they were purposely trying to keep this pregnancy and other issues a secret.

Frankly, the young girl being pregnant is not an issue with me. The attempt to deceive is a big issue. The Governor, as a part of the announcement, has continued to promote her "abstinence only" platform knowing that such a policy has failed within her own family.

Also, I am really bothered by the Governor's personal character. In fact, this started long before learning of her daughter's pregnancy. To neglect spending the time with her special needs baby in exchange for running for public office seems to be an issue of misplaced priorities to me. Throw into the mix now that she is facing her teenage daughter to go through such a touch time in the glare of the national media spotlight makes this situation much worse.

Vetted or not, sadly the Governor's personal conduct makes her unfit to lead in my book.

September 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  21. Leon

He did not properly vet Palin. Let's be honest here McCain, you picked her because she was a woman and you thought that you will get all the women voters. Nice judgement. Liar Liar, pants on fire!!

Fellow Americans, please do not elect this man to the White House. We have another 4 years of gaffs and jokes, we will be the laughing stock of the world. Come on people, vote Obama/Biden.

September 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. Mom who cares enough to make SMART choices

Doesn't the Republican party get it?

It is not about having a pregnant teenage daughter.

It is not about haing a baby at 44 who happens to have Downs.

It is about judgement and priorites.
    Does a woman who is governor of Alaska think she is really going to be able to take care of her own family as well as be second in line to the president?

Really???
    Obama/Biden 2008 2012

September 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. lee

How is McCain going to choose his cabinet after this VP disaster? I have no confidence in his judgment or anyone who advised him on this VP.

September 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. Michele C

I am sick to my stomach when I think of Sarah Palin. Judgment–i don't think so; experience–NO, and on and on. But most important, for those of us who love our country, just think of what might occur if, God forbid, she should ever become President. That's why I am sick to my stomach. The thought of it makes me ill. Is this all the Republicans can offer? Do they still care so little about t heir own nation?

September 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  25. good2know

Why is it that everytime I see the baby, Bristol's the one holding him? I've yet to see Sarah carrying her proud child with down syndrome. I'm just saying I would be happy as a parent regardless.

September 2, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |