September 2nd, 2008

McCain defends vetting of Palin

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/02/art.mccainpalin.ap.jpg caption="McCain is defending his choice of Palin."](CNN) - Presumptive Republican nominee John McCain defended his campaign's vetting of newly named VP candidate Sarah Palin Tuesday, amid a stream of revelations about the Alaska governor that could potentially harm the GOP presidential ticket.

"My vetting process was completely thorough and I'm grateful for the results," McCain told reporters in Philadelphia.

The comments come a day after Palin announced her 17-year-old daughter was pregnant and news surfaced the Alaska governor had hired a lawyer weeks ago to act on her behalf as state legislators investigate whether she may have abused her power in the firing of the state’s police chief for refusing to fire her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper.

Watch: McCain defends vetting process

Speaking on Fox News earlier Tuesday, former top Bush aide Karl Rove echoed McCain's comments that Palin was fully vetted.

"They knew all of it," Rove said of the recent revelations on Palin.

McCain has previously faced fire from Democrats over the fact the Arizona senator only met with Palin once in person before offering her the No. 2 slot on his ticket.

Related: Top Republicans defend Palin and vetting process

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters in Ohio Tuesday, McCain reiterated his support for Palin.

"I just want to repeat again how excited I am to have Sarah Palin, the great Governor of Alaska, as my running mate," he said. "America's excited and they're going to be even more excited once they see her tomorrow night. I'm very, very proud of the impression she's made on all of America and looking forward to serving with her."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. gpm

If the vetting process was done before she was selected, then why did McCain sent a team of 12 people to Alaska on Sunday to discover if there are more skeletons in her closet.

The word I hear from friends in Alaska, is "there is much more than what the mainstream press is reporting.".

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  2. Kryptik

From the fact that nearly everything they've touted about her, save her extremely socially conservative credentials, have not only been false, but nearly direct opposite of the reality of her positions, I can't say I terribly believe him.

But hey, Ron "Keep up the Good Fight" Fournier's AP said they vetted, so I guess they vetted. I mean, they even got Liz "With Sprinkles" Sidoti to write that they did.

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. All the Kings Horses and All the Kings Men Couldn't Put Fallen Little Miss Ice Chip Together Again!

Vetted ... As in two conversations in a 6 month period? We'll at least we know JohnnyMac will have someone with diaper-changing experience to fill in when Cindy, Joe LIE-berman and Lindsey Graham aren't around to change his Depends!!!

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  4. Don from California

McCain's pick is "Palin" in comparison to Biden.

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  5. Joe Regis

Palin's momentum is stalled.

Now she is a drag on the ticket.

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  6. Abby from Florida

Thank God General Palin has been leading the Alaska National Guard for the past 20 months. Why during that time period, not a single Russian invader has dared cross the Bering Sea to take over our oil wells and Polar Bears in Alaska.

General Palin is a member of the separatist Alaskan Independence Party. That means she has plenty of foreign experience; she’s been running a foreign government at the national level the last 2 years.

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  7. pensylvina

enough about palin i am voting for obama

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  8. larry wi

Good enough for me.

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. Aboyer

OK. It was thorough. We'll take his his word for it. So, knowing what he knew last week, Palin was the most qualified GOPer in the nation? WOW! What does that say about McCain's judgment and ability to hire talent?

September 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. J UAN CARLOS

S A R A H ,,,,,,,,,,,S A R A H,,,,,,,,,,,S I,,,,,,,,,,,,S E,,,,,,,,,P U E D E

11. beevee

I don't think McCain has checked facts about Palin properly before making the choice. he probably has something else in his mind. Looks more like a judgemental error of a senile old man.

12. Rumpusgoopus

"I didn't mistakenly make a horrible decision, I did it purposely."

13. Richard, FL

They haven't even had time to investigate why she belonged to a group that advocates the secession of Alaska from the United States.

14. Indeed

Thorough indeed. That's shows how the sort of judgement Mc cain would make. My fried, this is desperation and means he would be ready to do anything to achieve his own egostic goal, even if it puts the country at risk. What a shame.

15. Independent Voter

Okay McCain, how can you fully vett someone if you have only met this ONE TIME. What did you do? Give her a credit check? Its so obivous McCain is politically pandered this VP pick and didn't get the information he needed to feel 100% sure about his pick. So my question to McCain is...so who is Sarah Palin? She didn't wear a flag pin on her suit yesterday.

16. Oregon here

Time for us to do a little math. I see that McCain met Palin in Feb. The newborn Trig was born on April 18. Wouldn't she have been very preg at that time? Just curious

Obama / Biden 08

17. Liviu

McCain

Ready...Shoot...Aim

18. SLIMSISTA

IT'S NOT ABOUT HER DAUGHTER BEING PREGNANT...BUT I THINK A BIGGER MESSAGE IS "UNPROTECTED" SEX....

WITH THE AIDS EPIDEMIC IN THIS COUNTRY AS WELL AS OTHER SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES, WETHER YOUR PRO-LIFE OR NOT....

19. kay

America is in trouble if we elect a president who can look you in the eyes and simply lie.

McCain is a Shameless lair. His campaing could not even print a single banner with McCain/Palin on friday when she was introduced.

Please, take a look at how Obama organised his campaign and forget this shameless lair.

20. WhoIsPalin?

Shocking isn't it that Obama was the first to come out in defense of Palin. What was McCain waiting for? Maybe for his Puppet Master K.Rove to decide how to proceed? McCain continues to show Bad Judgement and it's hightime the MSM starts calling him out on this!!!

21. Donna

His campaign stated there had been an FBI check of her. The FBI has stated there was no such check.

22. SAME OLD STUFF

KEEP DEFENDING HER

YOU ARE A SORE LOSER MCSAME

YOU SHOULD HAVE VETTED THIS WOMAN BUT BECAUSE U
    ARE AN IDIOT YOU DECIDED NOT TO.

YOU PUT POLITICS FIRST, INSTEAD OF COUNTRY FIRST.

AND PALIN, U PUT POLITICS FIRST INSTEAD OF YOUR FAMILY.

YOU SHOULD BE OUT THERE TAKING CARE OF YOUR FAMILY

THEY NEED YOU MORE WOMAN

September 2, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  23. Matt, Pittsburgh

I see nothing wrong with Gov. Palin. She has executive experience. But if McCain wanted to pick an impact woman he may have been better served with Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

September 2, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  24. Callie

I still get a laugh whenever I read republican criticism of Obama by leveling a charge of elitism. To me, elitism means that he's an intellectual (a good thing in my book). We know what happens when an imbecile sits in the oval office. It would be refreshing to have someone who understands what he's talking about, who understands detente. When some backwoods yahoo says "elitism" as if it's a dirty word, I'm reminded of Nazi Germany, where intellectuals were targeted for abuse and singled out for slaughter because they could see through the government spiel. So when you read in these posts some Republican rant about elitism, picture them in brown shirts, a swastika, and a glazed and frenzied look in their eyes.

September 2, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  25. Bonnie

Not sure how many of us are buying McCain's story about the vetting process . . . he met her once and just now has sent a team to Alaska to check her out. . . .after all this stuff has been uncovered by the media – not the GOP. I agree kids are off limits, but the Bridge money (which I understand was not returned), trooper-gate, lobbyists for earmarks, etc., are all fair game.

September 2, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |