September 4th, 2008

After Palin speech, Obama has record $10 million day

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/04/art.obama.thursday.jpg caption="Sen. Obama spoke about change in Pennsylvania Thursday."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign for president has raised $10 million since Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin spoke Wednesday night, the campaign announced, calling it a "one-day record."

Palin, the governor of Alaska, launched harsh attacks on Obama, accusing him of being two-faced and a political lightweight with no significant legislative accomplishments.

"Coverage of the Palin attacks on the news this evening just pushed us over $10 million," Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in an e-mail to reporters Wednesday night.

The Republican Party announced earlier in the day it had raised $1 million in the wake of Palin's speech.

(Update with new fundraising total)

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Lawrence for barack

sarah keep talking, because we raising a lot of money from that

September 4, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. Obama's Pitbull

yeah we at it again

September 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  3. Hillary Supporter

he GOP is so sad. They are hateful, spiteful people. Yes I supported Hillary and now I will support my ideals. This not about supporting the DNC its about my beliefs and my beliefs are the complete opposite from McCain and Palin.

September 4, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  4. hick

keep trashing our man, repubs! i love it!

obama '08

September 4, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  5. Hillary Supporter

John McCain will lead this country down the same road as the last eight years.

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  6. Adrienne

They are playing the old and tired fear card right now. I think I'll send Obama another $25. We went after the wrong guy. McCain took his eye off the ball. That's what i watched and saw. the fear worked. Mccain was wrong.

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  7. RoseLakota

As a Canadian, and current member of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe, South Dakota, now ex-pat, I WISH I could contribute to the Obama-Biden ticket. These donations are not surprising as Sarah "Pale's In" Comparison to OBAMA!!!!

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  8. Bonnie

I was one of those who donated – and will again as I'm watching this hate-filled rhetoric being spewed at the RNC – and we haven't even heard from the major attack dogs yet. This is just so sad – my first ever political contribution was to Hillary (and I'm a 60 year old woman). When she asked me to support Obama, I reluctantly did but promised my vote – not my dollars. That's all changed . . .

Obama/Biden all the way

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  9. Andrew

I donated $50 earlier today, I think I'll donate some more

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  10. hick

i'd say this is the leading indicator of where this election's going.

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  11. kittoo

GO Obamaaaa

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  12. Meko

Thanks Gov. Palin! PLEASE keep talking!!!

Obama 08

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  13. GOP Doesn't Get It

DNC needs more sarcastic and mocking inner city community speeches from her.

For the first time in my life I just donated to the DNC; and I voted for McCain in 2000 and Democrats only once Kerry.

So keep up the divisive message from the last 8 years GOP!!! I am sure there are more Americans like me who are sick of the last 8 years.

FYI to GOP:
    Its not the Red States or the Blue States its the United States!!!

September 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  14. Filipina

wooo hooo keep talking Palin,,,you are a good fund raiser for our future President Obama,,,,,,,,,,,,YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama/Biden

September 4, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  15. Becky

FYI $25.00 was mine I guess it all added up with the rest

Obama 08

September 4, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  16. binky777

If I had qany money to donate to Obama's campaign I would... Unfortunately, after 8 years fo Bush in office, I have almost nothing left!

September 4, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  17. lawyerlady

Come on people!!!! Keep on donating! Let's show those republicans that we are TIRED of their politics and let's make sure they see that there is a DEFINITE connection between their convention and all the money we are raising for OBAMA!

September 4, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  18. Peter of Oregon

I gave my donation earlier today.

September 4, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  19. Socratessa, Houston, TX

Ohhh, thanks so much, Sarah and John! On behalf of common sense, we really appreciate your duo that makes Americans think clearly.

September 4, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  20. ohio

OHIO HERE GAVE 100 LAST NIGHT GIVING TWENTY- FIVE RIGHT NOW SOMEBODY ELSE FROM OHIO OR ANOTHER STATE BEAT OR MATCH THAT...

September 4, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  21. ghost

LMAO I can't wait to see how much more Barack gets after McCain speaks

September 4, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  22. Poetic Justice

I think most people were appalled at the hateful, divisive antics they saw. There were no minorities in the crowd of any race. Not just blacks were missing, there were no hispanics etc. there either. The DNC crowd was very diverse. Everyone was represented. There was room at the table for everyone like there will be in his administration. Nobody was impressed with a "pit bull" who chases animals down with a helicopter and then shoots them. That speaks volumes about the kind of "Christian" she is. People were happy to donate to Sen. Obama to derail the crooked talk express.

September 4, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  23. USA in 08

So Barracuda seems two-faced based on her record and last night's speech. Barracuda is a political lightweight and has zero legislative accomplishments.

What is Barracuda trying to say? I am a political pick that is not ready to lead this country? Seems like she is succeeded at something at least?

If something happened to McCain between now and Nov 4th would the angry right pick her to lead the charge to the white house? Very sad if you think about it.

No surprise that giving picked up for Obama. Barracuda in the oval office has americans very scared.

September 4, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  24. Alicia

Good for Obama. He got my support and money right now ...I hope he continues to make money and win this election that has some horrible tactics. Exploiting 911 victims and the people that died for an unjust war is horrific. Decision 08 demands respect and change the only candidate that is doing that is Sen Obama and Sen Joe Biden. Change I believe in ....Lets get busy and work hard to elect Sen. Obama.

September 4, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  25. Jon from Michigan

As a student in public health, I am appalled by Sarah Palin and so thankful for the community that Barack Obama and his supporters have created.

Not once did Palin mention the horrifying realities of the way in which American society is at this moment in history. Not once did she mention the dire health care situation. Not once did she mention the dire economic situation. Not once did she mention that she had an effective plan of action to restore the United States.

Palin, you and McCain, are both jokes.

In the words of Hillary Clinton, "No way, no how, no McCain."

Obama/Biden 2008.