September 4th, 2008

Detroit mayor agrees to plea deal in text scandal

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/CRIME/09/04/detroit.mayor/art.kilpatrick.ap.jpg caption="Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has agreed to resign from office, a prosecutor said Friday."]
DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) - Embattled Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick pleaded guilty Thursday to charges resulting from a sex scandal and is to resign from office, a prosecutor said.

The resignation won't take effect for 14 days, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said outside the courthouse.

Kilpatrick will go to jail on October 28, the day of his sentencing, and serve 120 days, she said.

The mayor pleaded guilty in Wayne County Circuit Court to two counts of obstruction of justice.

Circuit Judge David Groner accepted a no-contest plea on an assault charge.

Full story

Filed under: Kwame Kilpatrick
  1. James in Ohio

Finally. This man is a disgrace. Btw, isn't he a Obama supporter who Obama said will do great things. Talk about lack of judgement.

September 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. WOWWOW

I T ' S-–T O O---B A D--T HA T--H E--S A C R I F I C E D---

T H E---C I T I Z EN S---A T ---T H E--E X P E N S E---

O F--–H I S---A P P E T I T E--–S H O U L D--–B E--–

J O H N-–E D W AR D S ' -–C E L L M A T E

September 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Spencer from VA

I'm sure Republicans are jumping with joy. This country loves when a black man with power gets knocked down. Sorry guys. That won't happen to Sen. Obama.

September 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Kim, Charlotte, NC

"I lied under oath in the case of Gary Brown and Harold Nelthrope versus the city of Detroit," Kilpatrick said, reading from a prepared statement. "I did so with the intent to mislead the court and jury and to impede and obstruct the fair administration of justice."

Enough said. You must pay for what you did. Not to mention the 2 strippers who were at the Manoogian mansion ( one dead, and one missing) since the break in you corruptness.

You are an insult to me.

September 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. chip

Precisely why we need fresh blood in politics. Citizen representatives drawn from a pool of registered voters should suffice.

Term limits. Career politicians all turn sour after they figure out how to abuse the system to enrich themselves. Both sdes of the aisle are insanely guilty of this. Where's my torch and pitchfork?

September 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. Ellie

He's NOT in jail yet? Good Lord, no one cares about this fool. Please, don't waste our time on this idiot. I hope they have a double-wide orange jumpsuit to fit his big behind. That's a BIG hubba right there.

September 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. June, SC

As an African American I am appalled that this man is even mentioned on a post. Who cares about him? He has an affair on his wife, and then tries to turn his defense into a Civil Rights Movement. I couldn't care less about this man. Dr. King said to judge someone by the content of their character and everyone knows that this mayor's character is lacking.

In a year when we are so proud of Barack and Hillary, CNN has to remind us that some people should never run for a political office. Let this guy save the drama for his momma, Americans don't care.

Get back to issues that concern us CNN, not this soap opera mess.

September 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. Proud to be American

It is about time... look if you are going to go into office and take tax dollars do your job!!!!! be ethical ..... gosh what you do in the dark comes out in the light.....

September 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. McCain = Bush

Could be Palin if the troopergate investigation ever gets finished...just sayin..

Where is Colin Powell? Something tells me that he won't be able to endorse McCain

September 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. Kelby from Houston, TX

He is guilty as sin and I do believe he had that stripper killed. However I don't really consider this politcal news and in an election year this story really does not belong on the ticker.
    I smell CNN alterior motives here. They might be trying to stir the pot with this one

September 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. Wiletta, MN

He's a spoiled little boy who got caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Take his sorry face off this post and let us discuss real issues CNN. This story is for the birds, or should I say the pigs.

September 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  12. Doris,Memphis, TN

This is very sad. I hearing that another sex scandal will be coming out next week.

September 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  13. Mark

Politican should be held accountable for thier actions, I hate this had to happen but we elect these people to represent the concerns of the people and not to hold office for thier personal agenda.

I'm tired of seeing them abuse the offices in which they hold and thinking they are above the law. If I break the law I go to jail it's that simpe.

September 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  14. the real Abby

Thank God this is over. We don’t need the distractions. The citizens of Michigan need to concentrate on getting their jobs back.

Obama- Biden 08

September 4, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  15. Mike

Has a Black man, it sad to see another one go to jail on something so STUPID!!

September 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  16. J UAN CARLOS

H OW ,,,,,,,,A B O U T,,,,,,,,,F O R F E I T T I NG,,,,,,,,,P E N S I ON,,,,,,,,,,

A N D,,,,,,,,,,A N Y,,,,,,,,,A L L,,,,,,,,,,C I T Y,,,,,,,,, I N C O M E ? ? ?

W H E N,,,,,,,,,,Y O U,,,,,,,,A N D ,,,,,,,,,,I,,,,,,,,,,,G O,,,,,,,,,,,T H R U,,,,,,,,,,A ,,,,,,,,

R E D,,,,,,,,,,L I G H T,,,,,,,,,,W E ,,,,,,,,, P A Y ,,,,,,,,, I N,,,,,,,, K I N D

September 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  17. Tom in Delaware

Isn't it interesting that this CNN Article fails to make mention of the Political Party affiliation of the guilty mayor.

At least it was a Democratic Governor that had to interceed to police their own...remind you of anyone?

September 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  18. Luis

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya...........................................say Hi to Obama when he joins ya, playa, LOL 🙂

September 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  19. Enlightened Voter

If he can go to jail then why aren't bush and cheyney buried beneath it? This man gets sent to jail for lying and bush and cheyney lied too but they also murdered over 5,000 soldiers, how is it they are not in jail too?

September 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. Candy West Virginia

Sarah palin lied in trooper gate, will she go to jail too? Or will the repuglicans fix that one?

September 4, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  21. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

IS IT MY IMAGINATION, OR DID CNN"S HEADLINE READ........

...TEXT SCANDAL?

WAS IT TEXT THAT WAS THE SCANDAL, OR SEX SCANDAL?

September 4, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  22. Xango 08 & 12

I bet the abuse of power by Palin wont sent her to jail, first off
    she is white
    she is republican
    she is mccain vp
    so the evidence will be destroyed

what a system we have

that is Republican chosen justice

September 4, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  23. Carmon Minneapolis MN

And yet Bush and Chaney will never even be tried for their crimes

September 4, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse NY

How is it that when the mayor of a major American city pleads guilty to 2 felonies it's NOT political news? Spencer from VA, no one 'knocked him down'. He did it to himself. I guess he gets to join Marion Barry in the mayor hall of shame. Don't worry, in 5 years when he can run again, the voters of Detriot will probably put him back in office just like Barry.

September 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |