September 4th, 2008

Palin speech pulls in $8 million - for Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/04/art.money.gi.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is pulling in cash following Palin's speech. "](CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign says it has raised more than $8 million from over 130,000 donors following Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night.

The campaign also says it is on track to raise $10 million before John McCain takes the podium at the Republican National Convention tonight.

1. Jordan

Does Palin know that Jesus was an organizer and Pontius Pilate was a Governor?

I bet that if Jesus was here today she would have crucified right back on the cross. Oh yeah, she just did last night in her speech. Good going!

September 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  2. DrMan

So how much did she raise for Republicans? The only reason they contributed was her speech was so great, they got scared.

September 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  3. Brian

Dropping $25 on Obama was like taking an Alka-Seltzer after listening to Palin last night.

September 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. Dian

I donated too. I agree with a previous poster.... The GOP has this thing like it's a joke.... "Let's see if we can pull it off". They think the American public is too stupid to realize that they are worthless old fa*ts!

September 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  5. Christina

I just donated for the 3rd time, am an Independent registered voter, and I've never given money to a Presidential campaign or officially endorsed a presidential candidate before in my entire life. I only wish I could afford to give more. The more I learn about Sarah Palin the more frightened I am, and her speech made me more determined than ever to get Obama elected!

September 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  6. Jim, Minneapolis

I was one of the people who sent him money (I've been donating for 12 months now). I can't wait until these GOP rich white old oligarchy get out of my hometown. Good riddance. I will keep sending money to Obama. Nothing Palin can read off of a telepromter written by some Bush speechwriter will change the fact that her policies stink. I'm voting Obama!

September 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  7. soccermom2009

I'm so glad. Last night I was very worried after the freak show they call the speech. It will be more of the rotten lousy goverment if McSame and the evil queen win. Palin is absolutely a hateful person, I don't see how she would ever bring this country together on any issue.. It's her way or you can get fired. GOP = Grand OLD PEOPLE. They should call it GOWPO = GRAND OLD WHITE PEOPLE ONLY. I was a Hillary supporter, but last night, after Palin spoke, I gave to Obama!!!

September 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. Bob

You all need to see the videos of the aerial wolf shots from alaska. Cruel. She supported this. Anyone that supports this should be jailed.
    No matter how the repubs spin her, she is as cruel as Cheney.

9. Cathy in MD

Fantastic!!!!! Just as I anticipated. The reason: Most intelligent, patriotic Americans know a pit bull in lipstick when they see one. And a pit bull in lipstick does not a great Vice President make.

10. Give me a break

Hey "Steve" – I heard Obama was a Muslim too. Unless you hear it in person or see a video of her saying it, keep your pie hole shut. Crap like that doesn't help this country!

11. Typical White Person

omg – Blitzer is now reporting Obama talking points in fundraising letters as news!

Pa-leeze! Will someone please do a documentary on the press and their jr. high crush on Obama?

And did he ever have any girlfriends before Michelle?

12. No time to lose!

I'll pay extra taxes just to keep McCane and Palin out!

13. Another Ex-Republican for Obama

I am a Republican voting for Obama. I am repulsed and ashamed at what has become of my party. We used to be fiscally conservative, socially conservative, and strong on freedom and rights, low on government programs.

Now under our leadership we have destroyed the economy, borrowing money from China to pay for Oil from the Middle East, and who pays the interest? My kids and grandkids. We've approved so much government pork and programs we look like flaming liberals from the 70's (sorry guys, had to say it). We started an unjustified war and lied to everyone about it, and still lie about it. We've violated the freedoms and protections afforded to us by the Constitution. We've resorted to political trickery by pandering to woman with Palin on the ticket. And now we conduct an entire convention around slamming our opponent and his wife – no ideas, no plans, no vision to move things forward, just a lot of whining about Barack and Michelle.

This is not the Republican party I want to be a part of. I'd be voting for Ron Paul if he had any shot in the world, however the only way to fix my party is to cut out the disease and get back to principals. I'm voting for Barack Obama, and hope that he doesn't to too much damage in the next 4 years while we re-vamp ourselves and find our roots.

14. Nicole - NC

This is the first time I've ever given money to a candidate. Donated last week and donated again last night. Palin is a bible-wielding attack dog and the majority of Americans, even those who identify as Christians, don't want such an extremist informing national policy.

While I disagree with her tone and manner and think her utter lack of substance was completely transparent, she did a great job appealing to the same corner-bar cronies that won George Bush the white house 4 years ago. We cannot let that happen again. If she had been a wimpy speaker, we'd all be relaxing today and Obama would not be raking it in. But we have no room to relax yet. Palin wants a good fight, and the money we're throwing at Obama is to make sure she gets it.

15. joe

Actually, it was Guiliani's hate speech that motivated me to make my first donation.

16. Paula, Los Angeles CA

I donated too... AGAIN!!!!

Obama/Biden '08!!

17. FJ from Atlanta

I can't believe how negative she was for someone who just came on the scene. It attacks after attacks after attacks.

Let's see how she does after the media and the public done vetting her.

September 4, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  18. john williams san diego, ca.

those community organizers are spending alot of money to keep those federal dollars coming in.

19. Mark

As a former Clinton voter who just made his contribution to Obama, I'm not surprised. The thought of a Palin presidency is downright terrifying.

20. Remember

Great for the Obama campaign keep talking Palin, keep talking!! I gave my $50!!

As as for the whitehouse having a special needs kids, it already has one and he's on his way out!

21. Chuck

Who's taking care of the kids while Mom and Dad are playing politics and staying behind for a snowmobile event?

22. Bill

The liberals must be getting scared! The roles are being reversed. The liberals are trying to buy the White House! They should thank McCain for his Campaign Finance Reform law.

23. Lena

This Sarah – "Annie Oakley" character just needs to take her gun and go away – back to the wilderness. Mr. McSame and Annie Oakley think that she is ready to run the most powerful country in the world with the experience of being a PTA mom, hockey mom and a small town mayor. . I wonder if she is prepared to answer the phone 3am... remember that question. What a disaster for the Republicans. I bet they never imagined how this whole thing would screw up their campaign.

24. Mae

As a parent who has raised 4 children (2 boys and 2 girls) and a handicapped grandson since he was 8 months old, I personally feel that any one with a special needs child, should be there to give the child the love and care, and that is the responsibility of a mother. Not Nanny, babysitter, nurse, etc.

Also, where was Palin for the last five months not to notice that her daughter was late with her cycle. Was her responsibilities more important and took to much of her time not to notice that her daughter was gaining weight. It was obvious that something was wrong with her daughter when she was holding the baby's blanket over her stomach.

September 4, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  25. Texans for Obama

I am not surprised. He is going to raise more than that when old man McCain speaks tonight.

I am so tired of negative attacks, and no solutions by the Republican's. This woman who is hardly known can energize this geriatric base I saw last night at the convention with that one speech.
    All of the Republican's have no life. They were a bunch of old geezers, with a sprinkle of young people and maybe 20 black folks in the crowd.
    How sad that appeared to the TV audience, that there is no diversity that represents the real America

I am a toastmaster, and the delivery was okay but it lacked the subtance. A bunch of negative attacks and that was it. To me she looked like a puppet.

September 4, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |