September 4th, 2008

Palin speech pulls in $8 million - for Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/04/art.money.gi.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is pulling in cash following Palin's speech. "](CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign says it has raised more than $8 million from over 130,000 donors following Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night.

The campaign also says it is on track to raise $10 million before John McCain takes the podium at the Republican National Convention tonight.

1. zelda gross

Oh great
    now we have to listen to small minded conservatives say that Democrats think that money will buy the election. Missing the point AS USUAL!

September 4, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. Kate Fergus

How can any intelligent Hillary support vote for Palin? If I were Hillary, I would be offended by the idea that Palin is her equal. If she and McCain win this election she better be her equal or the country is doomed.

Ladies, consider this. Palin and McCain get into power. It is an abysmal failure. It will set woman power back decades. It happened in Canada when they elected Kim Campbell. And believe me Palin is no Angela Merkel!!!

Come to your senses and vote for the party and people who can change what is going on in this country.
    Obama/Biden in 08

September 4, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  3. Jay

Just gave my $25.

I'm excited not only to have Obama/Biden elected, but to continue to work for change over the next 8 years. It will not work without our help.

September 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  4. Independent99999

10 million raised by Obama

It will be nice if the spiteful Palin delivers a speech everyday

Go Obama

This independent leaning will be supporting you this election

September 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  5. josie

I respect Palin for where she is at in her career and I listened to her speech as I felt it was my duty to give her a chance.

She's an okay speaker, although there was no substance in her speech.

Totally recommend she keep her "day" job and/or look for other career options. Maybe the door is open for her to go back to TV?

September 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  6. Matt: honestly

The thing that the repubs posting fail to realize is that it is not the money, it is the support! This $8 million is support for him. He is buying nothing, he is gaining support!

September 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  7. lola

And I thought that McCain was the gift that keeps on giving. It turns out he found himself some good company. Thank you RNC from the bottom of my heart. Probably another 10mil after tonight’s speech.

September 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  8. Corey Gabriel

Me too, after listening to that right wing nut job evangelical extremist who said nothing more than the usual Republican/NeoCon smear, fear and lies, you bet I donated to Obama. God Bless American and God Save It from the Religious Right nut jobs.

September 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. TaxPayer

So, you guys are proud that in a time where you can barely fill your tank and feed your family, and are lucky if youre not losing your house, that youre throwing your money away on greedy, lying, arrogant, just-a-nother politicians? They have millions and millions and millions of dollars! Stop being puppets please. Obama is no better than any other slimey political suit thats ever crawled the streets of Washington. Donating your petty $50? For what? Another ad from Obama that promises upon his election the world will be all marshmallows and rainbows? Here's a suggestion, live within your means and learn that desire is the root of all unhappiness and unrest. Go Buddhists!

September 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  10. Dmc

I thought she cancelled the Bridge to Nowhere? Looks like her political career is careening off that bridge!

September 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. O'Biden

i donated too!!!!!

September 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  12. EJ (USA)

I was going to give $10 last night but I got so sleepy after staying up listening to all that crap the Republicans spewed last night. I will donate within the next couple of days.

I was very disappointed in Giuliani's ignorant speech. Especially coming from a pro-choice, anti-gun, very moderate Republican. He should know better.

The only speech I liked was Huckabee – and I've always thought he was a gracious person. He's just so likeable. (common sense would've told the Republicans to choose him... )

Obama/Biden '08

September 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  13. pat

Just shows how threatened O Support is when the see Strong Women. Sad.

September 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  14. gregory james

thank you mr o and his staff you are so mint to be for us thank you stafff keep going mr o even if you didnt win you are very cool!! will be in your camp all ways !!!!! james g

September 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  15. Tony

After Obama is in the White House we can all donate our spare change to Sarah's legal defense fund for Trooper Gate!

Obama in 08/12

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  16. Rick K

Obama has given people a way to fight back against this pettiness and fear mongering.

Donating is just part of the equation.

I've never seen people paying so much attention – organizing, debating, sharing, canvasing, registering. The repubs had a chance this week to explain their vision for the nation we share.

Their answer so far is motivating all right. We now have a new angry, mediocre, dismissive, insulting face plugged into the Rove machine.

Sad thing is, I don't see the same thing when I see Jindal and Pawlenty speaking. Perhaps it will be left to them to reinvent the republican brand – but this country really needs to send a message to this current group of hate-mongers.

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  17. Felisa

I was happy to give a little extra to OUR campaign, Dems. Keep your eyes on the ball, and keep moving forward, precinct by precinct. Hooray for all the community organizers out there making a huge difference in this country! That donation was for you, baby!

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. Hillary, now Obama

Just donated! This American is tired of republican HATE.

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. Stacy

so awesome.

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  20. Poetic Justice

Kevin Kris
    I accept and raise you one!

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. sunny ade

Hockey mom/pit bull with lipstick scared every one to death. Thank God it's all over with. Every one can now go about his or her own business and listen to what Obama and Biden have to say about the future of this country.

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. 7/10 WA

Nice 🙂
    The RNC is throwing a fund-raiser for Obama... beautiful.

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  23. Greg, Atlanta

All of a sudden, I seem to like McCain's pick. Thanks Palin, for further uniting the country behind Obama...keep spewing the lies and insults!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  24. barbara

Yes we can!! All we have to do is work together to elect Barack Obama and Joe Biden!!

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  25. Tom

Funny how the liberals keep spewing hate and attacking the character of good people, yet they support a racist canidate for president!

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |