September 4th, 2008

Palin speech pulls in $8 million - for Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/04/art.money.gi.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is pulling in cash following Palin's speech. "](CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign says it has raised more than $8 million from over 130,000 donors following Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night.

The campaign also says it is on track to raise $10 million before John McCain takes the podium at the Republican National Convention tonight.

1. breadcrumbs theory

Yes we can.

September 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. KATHLEEN

McMouse voted against a raise for minimum wage 9 TIMES1111
    This low salary only buys gas to get to your job at Wal-Mart and
    those jobs will be ALL there is left. China is buying us!!!

September 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  3. John from Illinois

I'm Republican. I'm White. And to Barack Obama, goes the checks I write! GoBama! The Bush presidency ends now. Enough! Palin was lame attempt to pull in the Hillary holdouts. Doesn't matter. Come Nov. 4th, Barack Obama will be our next President. Power to the people baby!

September 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  4. ross berg

As a lifelong republican I must say that McCains pick for the VP spot has certainly killed any small chance he might have had of winning.

And it turns out that the facts show that in a numberr of meetings in 2006-2007 Palin is heard thanking different State and Federal legislators for getting different ear-marks for Alaska AND the facts are that the "bridge to nowhere" funds were NOT returned to Washington but spent on other projects in Alaska.

Too bad that as it turns out she's just another typical pol!! Shame!!

September 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  5. Dem from VA

It will be truly entertaining when Palin crashes-and-burns in about three weeks, once the real journalists come out of the woodwork and start vetting her qualifications: That's when the REAL Palin bio will come to light. TrooperGate; her vocal support of the Bridge-to-Nowhere; paying Washington lobbyists to secure earmarks for Wasilla (she's apparently as fond of pork as she is of moose meat); delaring the War in Iraq a Holy War for Christianity and "God's will"; raising taxes and public debt (where once there was none) on the 6,000 residents of Wasilla; and leaving a trail of bodies in the wake of her insatiable ambition: Even the starry eyed GOP delegates will realize that McSame made a fatal blunder in choosing Sarah Palin as her running mate. I relish the thought of Obama/Biden t.v. ads featuring Rudy, Mitt, Mike, and McShame clips from their Convention, praising Palin's credentials, after she's been thoroughly discredited and forced to withdraw from the McStain ticket. BTW, pitt bulls everywhere should be offended by her comparison.

6. Jeremy

Democrats are running scared.....that what happens when you put an unqualified, the least experienced person to run for the presidency.

7. Christian, Tampa FL

I gave $25 of that. Sarah Palin did inspire me last night. She inspired me to support Obama more enthusiastically than ever.

8. REV. WRIGHT IS OFF THE TABLE

Thank you, CNN for posting Obama's acceptance speech on your site. I am listening to it now, for a "breath of fresh air" that will dispel the stench left from that vile hateful bunch of cretins last night!

9. Dee

i was one of them to give after i received David Plouffe's email? That was some angry email ...

10. Kellie

This is why he will be the next President of the United States:

"They're talking about the three years of work that I did right out of college, as if I'm making the leap from two or three years out of college into the presidency. I would argue that doing work in the community, to try to create jobs, to bring people together, to rejuvenate communities that have fallen on hard times, to set up job training programs in areas that have been hard hit when the steel plants closed, that that's relevant only in understanding where I'm coming from. Who I believe in. Who I'm fighting for. And why I'm in this race. And the question I have for them is, why would that kind of work be ridiculous? Who are they fighting for? What are they advocating for? They think the lives of those folks who are struggling each and every day, that working with them to try to improve their lives, is somehow not relevant to the presidency? Maybe that's the problem."

11. KC

Anyone who names their daughter( 'Bristol' ) after the town where ESPN originated from,( because she reportedly was so in love with ESPN) has a serious problem with good values as a whole! Palin, go back to Alaska~and don't let the door hit ya on the way out!! Where's my wallet~

12. Proud Army Mom from Florida

As the mother of a soldier who is leaving for his second deployment to Iraq I too will be donating 100 dollars to the Obama/Biden campaign. We need someone in office that will not use our military for personal vendettas or to line the pockets of their cronies.

13. ree

I am going to send my money to McCain.

Don't want a president who is only getting votes because he is black, because people want to see history made, and because people are afraid of being called racist.

If Michelle Obama made a speech like Sarah you will all be cheering.

Obama supporters go preach your hate somewhere else. You people are so hateful.

14. Jon in Seattle

Republicans don't care about community organizers. They only helped end segregation, slavery and womens suffrage. No real responsibilities there.

15. john

Yea Obama! I gave $500 last night and plan to give more. The appointment of Supreme Court justices over the next four years possibly by McCain as well as McCain's and possibly Palin's finger on the nuclear trigger frightens me. Think of a maverick decision at 3:AM! What might he or she do? Maybe he would want to shake things using judgment like in the the pick of Palin. Go Obama!

16. Teeth Gnasher

Typical socialist view...throw more money at it, it will get better...

17. sabdra

DONATE TO OBAMA FOR A MORE PERFECT UNION FOR DEM AND REP. WE DON NOT NEED TO BE DIVIDED!

September 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  18. NO OBAMA

Can I call BS now!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. Tara

Why are people so afraid of change? I read someone's comment that said Obama was 'risky'. You bet he is! One question: what can POSSIBLY be WORSE than the state our nation is in now? Change is good.

September 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  20. Fear and Smear

PALIN POWER

PS: Some use change to further a career. Some use a career to further change. Great Line.

Too bad she didn't write it. The speech was written by a former Bush speech writer. In fact it was written before she was even selected as the VP nominee. So much for not the same old Washington. But, as you proved, you can fool some of the people all of the time

September 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  21. SFgal

I sent my monthly $50 while she was on TV.

September 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  22. S. Amico

I am one of the many that Palin's speech infuriated to the point of throwing money at the Obama/Biden ticket. In fact, the more she and McCain and the rest of the Republican attack dogs spew their negative rhetoric and lies I will continue to make my contributions.

September 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. opeluboy

Smugness does pay apparently. Just not in the way they hoped it would.

September 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  24. Jorge

WAY TO GO, SARAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  25. LYNETTE IN CA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I JUST LOVE IT!!! AS USUAL, THEY SHOT THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT!

OBAMA / BIDEN '08